SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Faison must have known that 2012 would be our first year of eligibility for the playoffs. He must have known that the selection comittee only counts D1 wins when choosing at large bids for the playoffs. He must have known that scheduling a D2 or NAIA team would affect or chances of making the playoffs in 2012. He must have known that starting 2012 off with an oppponent that would get people excited for a D1 football season where we are playoff eligible was important. He must have known that there are 126 FCS Schools that he could have scheduled instead of School of Mines. He had to have known all this right?? I mean I knew all of this and I am just an average Joe Sioux football fan. Faison is the head of the University of North Dakota Athletic Department. It is his job to know all these things right?

So Faison either didn't realize all this or he did realize it and did nothing. Either way, he made a huge mistake and his judgement and ability to run this Athletic Department should be in question. His scheduling during the past 5 years of transition is an absolute joke. I just hope there are people in his department that are telling him this so he can make things right.

• Upvote 2

I am totally 100% with you on this. However, if we absolutely cannot find an FCS team to replace SD Mines, then get one of our old D-II rivals to fill it. That would attract some fans and would look much better than SD Mines. My biggest fear is that Faison won't even make a solid effort to accomplish this.

There are no old D-II rivals to play. The NSIC is going to 11-game conference only scheduling. Grand Valley has 10 conference games and is already in a home and home contract for a non-conference game.

Bison fans on AGS are now claiming the Sioux nickname as a reason for UCA backing out...don't they know if it was true it would have been in the media, and plus the University would have said something since they are already prepared for retirement of the name. One UCA fan did say it was money, and a Coyote fan said UCA backed out of a home and home game with them years back seems like UCA is afraid of the Dakotas. So not a good rep for UCA.

Faison must have known that 2012 would be our first year of eligibility for the playoffs. He must have known that the selection comittee only counts D1 wins when choosing at large bids for the playoffs. He must have known that scheduling a D2 or NAIA team would affect or chances of making the playoffs in 2012. He must have known that starting 2012 off with an oppponent that would get people excited for a D1 football season where we are playoff eligible was important. He must have known that there are 126 FCS Schools that he could have scheduled instead of School of Mines. He had to have known all this right?? I mean I knew all of this and I am just an average Joe Sioux football fan. Faison is the head of the University of North Dakota Athletic Department. It is his job to know all these things right?

So Faison either didn't realize all this or he did realize it and did nothing. Either way, he made a huge mistake and his judgement and ability to run this Athletic Department should be in question. His scheduling during the past 5 years of transition is an absolute joke. I just hope there are people in his department that are telling him this so he can make things right.

Eastern Washington won the national championship last year and they played a D-II team. Delaware was their opponent in that game and Delaware plays D-II West Chester every year. Montana and Montana State both play a D-II team every year. Southern Illinois has played a D-II or NAIA team eight of the last ten years. Central Arkansas is going to make the playoffs this year and they played a D-II team.

Scheduling a lower division opponent is something that is very common in FCS football, even among the most prominent programs.

Eastern Washington won the national championship last year and they played a D-II team. Delaware was their opponent in that game and Delaware plays D-II West Chester every year. Montana and Montana State both play a D-II team every year. Southern Illinois has played a D-II or NAIA team eight of the last ten years. Central Arkansas is going to make the playoffs this year and they played a D-II team.

Scheduling a lower division opponent is something that is very common in FCS football, even among the most prominent programs.

I agree that it does happen. But ask Montana how that worked for them last year. They were 7-4. However, one of there wins was against D2 Western State. But, only wins against Division 1 programs count in the eyes of the selection commitee when deternining at large bids for the playoffs. So in the selection commitees eyes they were really only 6-4. NDSU was 7-4 also. They however, did not schedule any games against lower division schools so they had 7 D1 wins. So they make the playoffs over Montana. Had Montana scheduled a cupcake FCS team instead of Western State and won, they would have made the playoffs.

So yes you can make the playoffs in a year where you schedule a lower division school. But the unofficial cutoff for making the playoffs is 7 D1 wins. So yes you can schedule school of mines and beat them. But you better win 7 of your next 10 games to have a chance. All I am saying is I don't want what happened to Montana last year happen to UND.

• Upvote 1

I agree that it does happen. But ask Montana how that worked for them last year. They were 7-4. However, one of there wins was against D2 Western State. But, only wins against Division 1 programs count in the eyes of the selection commitee when deternining at large bids for the playoffs. So in the selection commitees eyes they were really only 6-4. NDSU was 7-4 also. They however, did not schedule any games against lower division schools so they had 7 D1 wins. So they make the playoffs over Montana. Had Montana scheduled a cupcake FCS team instead of Western State and won, they would have made the playoffs.

So yes you can make the playoffs in a year where you schedule a lower division school. But the unofficial cutoff for making the playoffs is 7 D1 wins. So yes you can schedule school of mines and beat them. But you better win 7 of your next 10 games to have a chance. All I am saying is I don't want what happened to Montana last year happen to UND.

I agree with the premise of what you're saying, although playing a D-II or lower school was a much bigger deal when there were just 16 playoff spots and a team essentially needed eight D-I wins. Still prominent FCS schools all over the country have in the past and continue to schedule lower division teams. There is a reason for that.

I also pointed out that future schedules do not have the "SD Mines" issue. Things are looking up and I think the fact that Valpo and Robert Morris are on the schedules for 2013 and 2014 point out that Faison does have an understanding of this issue.

The point The Sicatoka made (and I was trying to expand on) is that D-I football scheduling is not as easy as it appears. The non-scholarship/ low budget FCS schools don't exist simply to provide UND with an early season home game when we need one... they have their own interests as well obviously. Schedules are made years instead of months in advance like they were in D-II. Teams like Central Arkansas really don't want to travel up to ND because it's a long trip that provides no benefit for recruiting or alumni interests. That, and they know they'll probably get beat.

I do know people in college athletics administration (not at UND, but elsewhere) and they will tell you that scheduling football games nowadays is a somewhat "dirty" business as evidenced by all the schools that sign home and homes and then back out after they get their home game. Schools that will play guarantee games will negotiate in what appears to be good faith with the intent to use that information to schedule someone nearby for a better deal. UND is at a great disadvantage in all of this because of location. So again, it's not as easy as "I don't care, just get it done."

• Upvote 1

My friend, Faison peed in all of our cereal when he scheduled South Dakota School of Mines for next year. If you are okay with that, that is your opinion. But I am not. :angry: USD has been better at transition scheduling with a fraction of the resources that we have to work with. And next year is our first year of eligibility for the FCS playoffs. Having SD Mines on the schedule will NOT help us in that regard. You cannot win scheduling games like this (scheduling USF should have taught us that). You have to spend money to make money, which means we better start getting quality opponents to come to Grand Forks. And if it's not "feasible" to do that, we shouldn't have moved up in the first place.

Ok so you are all over Faison for scheduling South Dakota School of Mines. But do you then raise him to the rafters as he was instrumental for getting us into a big time conference (Big Sky) where we are getting a full conference schedule and not just 4 games like the the Great West? It would seem a bit hypocritical not to. As has been pointed out many of our esteemed on here (the likes of RD and Sica) many of the big FCS schools schedule a lower tier school just as many FBS schools schedule an FCS school. It's one game. Our Big Sky schedule along with our FBS game is going be way better than anything we've had in over 6 years. I'm refuse to get worked up over School of the Mines. Hopefully, our schedule will continue to get better as we become a full fledged D1 member.

Ok so you are all over Faison for scheduling South Dakota School of Mines. But do you then raise him to the rafters as he was instrumental for getting us into a big time conference (Big Sky) where we are getting a full conference schedule and not just 4 games like the the Great West? It would seem a bit hypocritical not to. As has been pointed out many of our esteemed on here (the likes of RD and Sica) many of the big FCS schools schedule a lower tier school just as many FBS schools schedule an FCS school. It's one game. Our Big Sky schedule along with our FBS game is going be way better than anything we've had in over 6 years. I'm refuse to get worked up over School of the Mines. Hopefully, our schedule will continue to get better as we become a full fledged D1 member.

I definitely think Faison deserves credit for his part in getting us into the Big Sky Conference. I think it's a much better conference that the Summit/MVFC arrangment the other Dakota schools decided on. As for scheduling getting better as time goes on, I also think it should, but I have some nagging doubts that it will. It does seem that our administration is still stuck in some old D-II thinking when it comes to athletics. It cannot be just about being frugal and prudent and playing it close to the vest (I think that was one of Dale Lennon's only flaws as a head coach, btw). It has to be about building a better future where we are competitve at the Division I level in everything, not just hockey. That means a championship-contending FCS football team and basketball teams that win conference titles and compete for bids to March Madness. Those conditions would provide a big boost to both marketing and finances. That is my vision for D-I athletics at UND.

• Upvote 2

Not only does scheduling "down" hurt if you are sitting at 7 wins, Montana State playing Minot State this year MIGHT cause them to drop in the seeding. For example (depending on how the games play out today), they could slip from the 2 overall seed and homefield throughout the playoffs to the 3 overall and having to travel for the semis.

Speaking of, Montana St vs Montana today. Oh how I wish we'd move past the BS and get the schedule figured out for UND vs NDSU.

I cannot complain much about SDM&T, but there are better DII opponents that would draw a better crowd. My biggest concern, the many weeks of inactivity on the schedules for 2013, 14,15. That is a ways out there, but many of the bigger schools are already scheduled that far out. I really really hope that now with the nickname behind us that Faison is working to get some FBS schools and notable FCS schools on the schedule for those years. Nothing generates interest like playing up and perhaps upsetting a FBS school i.e. NDSU.

• Upvote 2

Heard Jim O'Day on the playoff selection show today reiterating the importance of 7 division 1 qualifying wins. If you bring in Mines that's fine, but you damn well better get to 7 wins or don't cry on my shoulder if you end up like Delaware.:

Delaware has won 18 straight games and 40 of 43 while scheduling West Chester annually since 1968 in football. But playing that game may have lost Delaware an NCAA FCS playoff berth today.

Delaware (7-4) was not part of the 20-team field chosen for the FCS playoffs. Two other 7-4 teams, CAA rival James Madison and shocking choice Eastern Kentucky of the Ohio Valley Conference, were among the 10 at-large teams.

Selection committee chairman Jim O’Day, the Montana athletic director, said during the ESPNU telecast that Eastern Kentucky’s advantage over Delaware was seven Division I wins to the Blue Hens’ six.

West Chester is a Division II school. NCAA tourney guidelines do not prohibit a team from qualifying with fewer than seven Division I wins. They do state that “less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected” and that the selectors “may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents.”

A team with fewer than seven Division I wins has never earned an at-large bid.

“I just think it was too an easy an out for them to say we only had six wins,” Delaware coach K.C. Keeler said today. “They put no stock in the fact that we beat Towson and ODU.”

Towson and Old Dominion are both Top 10-ranked teams.

I cannot complain much about SDM&T, but there are better DII opponents that would draw a better crowd. My biggest concern, the many weeks of inactivity on the schedules for 2013, 14,15. That is a ways out there, but many of the bigger schools are already scheduled that far out. I really really hope that now with the nickname behind us that Faison is working to get some FBS schools and notable FCS schools on the schedule for those years. Nothing generates interest like playing up and perhaps upsetting a FBS school i.e. NDSU.

You presume a lot if you call beating the AC an "upset". North Dakota should be favored every time we play just because "we are North Dakota and they are the AC". Feel bad for them but that's the way it is.

Not only does scheduling "down" hurt if you are sitting at 7 wins, Montana State playing Minot State this year MIGHT cause them to drop in the seeding. For example (depending on how the games play out today), they could slip from the 2 overall seed and homefield throughout the playoffs to the 3 overall and having to travel for the semis.

Speaking of, Montana St vs Montana today. Oh how I wish we'd move past the BS and get the schedule figured out for UND vs NDSU.

Everyone has it figured out except Gene Taylor. They would have had a reasonable chance to "upset" us the past few years during our transition. Recruiting is going well and we made great strides this year. Playing field is rapidly leveling now with transition over and Big Sky in our future.

You presume a lot if you call beating the AC an "upset". North Dakota should be favored every time we play just because "we are North Dakota and they are the AC". Feel bad for them but that's the way it is.

Everyone has it figured out except Gene Taylor. They would have had a reasonable chance to "upset" us the past few years during our transition. Recruiting is going well and we made great strides this year. Playing field is rapidly leveling now with transition over and Big Sky in our future.

I believe Ole was referring to how Moo U creates excitement for their program by scheduling and beating (upsetting??) the goofers. Not that beating the Minny football team is that great of an accomplishment (see South Dakota in 2010).

I believe Ole was referring to how Moo U creates excitement for their program by scheduling and beating (upsetting??) the goofers. Not that beating the Minny football team is that great of an accomplishment (see South Dakota in 2010).

That is correct. Should have said "i.e. NDSU did". Beating KU, Ball State and CMU were also notable accomplishments too. You have to give them credit for those wins over D1 schools.

I cannot complain much about SDM&T, but there are better DII opponents that would draw a better crowd.

7,400 for the University of South Dakota...............a match-up of two Top 25 teams..........for the conference title.............for the 109th time.........for the last time ever............................

This is evidence to me that most potential attendees of a North Dakota football game (save for those that post on this site) really don't give a rip about who we are playing................... :sad:

• Upvote 1

7,400 for the University of South Dakota...............a match-up of two Top 25 teams..........for the conference title.............for the 109th time.........for the last time ever............................

This is evidence to me that most potential attendees of a North Dakota football game (save for those that post on this site) really don't give a rip about who we are playing................... :sad:

I hope that the fact UND is eligible for playoffs next year creates some buzz and gets the Alerus back to what it was.

What does a school like Wisconsin or Boston College do that brings them huge crowds for football and hockey not to mention basketball?

Article on why gamedays are so special in Madison: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/852388-why-wisconsin-is-the-best-gameday-atmosphere-in-the-country

Some of these tactics need to be instituted - or at least considered to be instituted - into gamedays at UND.

Yes, recruiting is going great. When is the last time a ND kid that both schools recruited went to UND? Even this year with the playing field supposedly leveled with the Big Sky coming next year and the transition over, the top two ND kids have verbaled to NDSU. For being the "Flagship" school in ND, UND sure seems to have trouble getting the best ND kids in their program.

The recruiting results might be changing in the future. UND did have the top area recruit choose UND over NDSU (Molberg). It is a start and I believe UND will be winning more wars in the future. UND got the number 1 guy this year. Just because NDSU is getting the top North Dakota recruits doesn't mean NDSU is winning the wars. There a lot of good players that live outside of North Dakota.

Yes, recruiting is going great. When is the last time a ND kid that both schools recruited went to UND? Even this year with the playing field supposedly leveled with the Big Sky coming next year and the transition over, the top two ND kids have verbaled to NDSU. For being the "Flagship" school in ND, UND sure seems to have trouble getting the best ND kids in their program.

I love ndsu recruiting logic. Always brings a smile to my face. I hope you don't think the OL from Kindred was one of the top players in the state. He's good, but not even the best OL in North Dakota.