SiouxSports.com Forum

Hak Suspended Two Games

CASiouxfan

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think a top flight 8th or 9th grade recruit sitting in the stands is going to see that and be impressed??

Do you think Hakstol would actively recruit a 14 or 15 year old hockey player? I thought 16 was their first opportunity to be recruited by NCAA coaches.

Sure, you get players who decide to commit early like Mueller, Clarke, and a bevy of CCHA future disappointments, but that's not the norm.

Hak recruits players who are juniors in high school or older. If someone else who is younger wishes to contact Hakstol, then that's their business.

i think the way he handled this bad situation will only help him in the future for recruiting purposes. every coach in the wcha, and probably college hockey, has mumbled, whispered or even shouted an obscenity at or to an official at some time, most are not caught on tape for the world to see, but believe me it happens all the time. hey we even have coaches who try to start fights with opposing coaches on the ice following a game or follow officials to their dressing room to continue to berate them. our team, including coaching staff, are no angels, but coach hakstol is a stand up person. he is regretful for the way he expressed his disgust with don adam (although his feelings toward his officiating most likely have not changed) and has stated so publicly. he is a husband, father and coach of twenty some young men, and prides himself on being a proud example on and off the ice. he recruits quality kids, from quality families who appreciate all of this about him, and this will continue for many years to come. sioux nation stands behind its coach and team, GO SIOUX!

Ignore him. The only way he is relevant is if we pay attention to him and he gets under our skin. I don't find him to be worth the time of day. As I've said before, he's just a Barreiro or Royko wannebe, and in reality is a pathetic hack journalist with no talent, no credentials, is not funny, and is not relevant outside a very small market. He makes Sid Hartman seem knowledgeable about sports, and McFooly will never, ever be as successful as Sid. Seriously, what makes him any more relevant than a writer with any small town newspaper in ND or Minnesota? The only sport that he knows anything about is golf.

Considering how many USHL teams have failed in Fargo, and the fact 'su can't even maintain a club team very long, I think "Hockey Town" should be revised to read "Fail Town".

While I certainly wouldn't call Fargo "Hockeytown", I do think things will begin to change for the better once the UP Center is up and running. The Force will not fail like the Bears and Sharks (and soon to be the Jets) did. NDSU - now that is a whole different issue.

While I certainly wouldn't call Fargo "Hockeytown", I do think things will begin to change for the better once the UP Center is up and running. The Force will not fail like the Bears and Sharks (and soon to be the Jets) did. NDSU - now that is a whole different issue.

I'm not convinced and I am from Fargo. The level of play in Fargo has improved dramatically over the past 5-10 years, and the number of players and interest has also increased dramatically. However, unlike Fargo, I sincerely believe that Fargo is not a hockey town. Fargo gets absolutely no support from the community or public support. The rinks being built with private money are a great step forward, but I have my doubts about the success of the Force. USHL teams are very expensive to run, with franchise fees of over $500,000. Rough estimates are that it takes 3000 fans to break even. Fargo has never shown that kind of commitment, and I don't think they will with the Force. I expect the Force to do well for 2-3 years until the novelty wears off, and then fans will disappear like they always do. Fargo just has too much competition for the Friday and Saturday night dollar, including Sioux hockey, youth and high school hockey, NDSU and other college basketball, etc. USHL teams typically do well where there are not established major colleges (Sioux Falls, Sioux City) or larger markets without great youth and high school hockey (Lincoln, Omaha, Des Moines). I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it working long term any more than in the past. The new arena will only hold people's interests for awhile. Ultimately, it is the product that needs to succeed. The rink will hold people's interests for only so long. Blais is the wild card--he will help. The question is, how long will he stay?

Fargo is a perfect NAHL town. It can draw 1000-2000 fans (especially with a new rink that is not like the craphole called the Coliseum), but I seriously question 3000+ fans. If this doesn't work, this may effectively kill the NAHL and Fargo may never get a team here again.

I'm not convinced and I am from Fargo. The level of play in Fargo has improved dramatically over the past 5-10 years, and the number of players and interest has also increased dramatically. However, unlike Fargo, I sincerely believe that Fargo is not a hockey town. Fargo gets absolutely no support from the community or public support. The rinks being built with private money are a great step forward, but I have my doubts about the success of the Force. USHL teams are very expensive to run, with franchise fees of over $500,000. Rough estimates are that it takes 3000 fans to break even. Fargo has never shown that kind of commitment, and I don't think they will with the Force. I expect the Force to do well for 2-3 years until the novelty wears off, and then fans will disappear like they always do. Fargo just has too much competition for the Friday and Saturday night dollar, including Sioux hockey, youth and high school hockey, NDSU and other college basketball, etc. USHL teams typically do well where there are not established major colleges (Sioux Falls, Sioux City) or larger markets without great youth and high school hockey (Lincoln, Omaha, Des Moines). I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it working long term any more than in the past. The new arena will only hold people's interests for awhile. Ultimately, it is the product that needs to succeed. The rink will hold people's interests for only so long. Blais is the wild card--he will help. The question is, how long will he stay?

Fargo is a perfect NAHL town. It can draw 1000-2000 fans (especially with a new rink that is not like the craphole called the Coliseum), but I seriously question 3000+ fans. If this doesn't work, this may effectively kill the NAHL and Fargo may never get a team here again.

I meant to say unlike Moorhead, Fargo is not a hockey town. :D

I agree that Fargo gets absolutely no support from the community or public support and I think that is completely rediculous. True enough that the novelty of the rink will only last so long, but with Blais at the helm (hopefully for a while) and if the team is successful on the ice the Force will stay in Fargo. One thing you have to remember is that these kids playing here will be the same kids that you're rooting for when they go on to play for the Sioux or rooting against when they go on to play for Minnesota, Denver, CC, Wisconsin, etc. There will be some quality kids playing quality hockey in a quality arena - that's a good combination.

One thing that the Force must do (and they are doing this) is to try as best they can to schedule home games when the Sioux are on the road.

Not sure what you meant about "If this doesn't work, this may effectively kill the NAHL...". There's no way that the Jets can stay in Fargo with the Force coming to town, so this will be the Jet's last year here.

There certainly are a few things that have to go right - but consider me an optimist.

Fargo has never had a venue that hold 3,000+ fans. The Force is a big gamble, but I could see it working. They are already marketing it towards Sioux fans, instead of trying to compete with them. They are trying to work their schedule so they do not conflict with UND's home games.

I think the key is to get as many local players as possible. If the Force team has 5-6 kids from ND and Section 8 I think that will add to the appeal (especially Moorhead kids). Also having committed Sioux players will obviously help.

I do not see NDSU BB competing much with USHL hockey. I have never been to a BB game, but I would think their would be few people who are fans of both. Then again I have an unhealthy dislike for the game of basketball :D I think youth hockey and the Sioux will be the biggest competitors for fans. The smart approach IMO is to try and partner up with both as much as possible. They have already tried to appeal to Sioux fans. I imagine they will aggressively market towards youth players and their parents.

Fargo has never had a venue that hold 3,000+ fans. The Force is a big gamble, but I could see it working. They are already marketing it towards Sioux fans, instead of trying to compete with them. They are trying to work their schedule so they do not conflict with UND's home games.

I think the key is to get as many local players as possible. If the Force team has 5-6 kids from ND and Section 8 I think that will add to the appeal (especially Moorhead kids). Also having committed Sioux players will obviously help.

I do not see NDSU BB competing much with USHL hockey. I have never been to a BB game, but I would think their would be few people who are fans of both. Then again I have an unhealthy dislike for the game of basketball :D I think youth hockey and the Sioux will be the biggest competitors for fans. The smart approach IMO is to try and partner up with both as much as possible. They have already tried to appeal to Sioux fans. I imagine they will aggressively market towards youth players and their parents.

I agree, and I'm sure they will be doing this since the MSF is a "charity" where their profits go back to the youth hockey organizations (Raiders, Flyers and Angels). I'm not sure how that will go now since they had to "donate" the arena to Fargo Parks. I was really hoping they would not have to do that.

I don't know if they'll draw from GF, but there are plenty of hockey fans in Fargo I guess. Still if I lived there I'd likely remain a Sioux fan and rarely go to Force games because I don't have the time. But then that's just me.

What I meant was that if the Jets fold (which seems inevitable), it could cause Bismarck, Alexandria, Southern Minnesota and North Iowa to also fold because Fargo is centrally located (unless the Jets are able to find a new home). I find that to a be a shame because the NAHL is improving and gives many kids an opportunity to play, many of whom either were not given an opportunity in the USHL and may have fallen through the cracks. There were about 60 D1 kids from the NAHL last year not counting the US Development Team that is a member of the league. Michigan State had 9 0r 10 kids from the NAHL last year that were not from the US Under 18 team (if you count them, the number of D1 scholarships is pretty large). The NAHL is the only other Junior A league in the US, so its a good product. The product in the USHL is not much better to watch. Yes, its a better league, but its also considerably younger. If you like watching a league dominated by kids aged 16-18, the USHL is for you. You also will not see many ND kids. There are only a handful playing in the USHL (Lamoureux, Willert, Selk, Weisgarber, Wurden) and more playing in the NAHL (Mihulka, Dittus, Harrie, Oklund, Klein, Miller, Aide, Olson, Galt, Carlson,Jundt, and more). Keep in mind that the USHL has been here before with the Ice Sharks, and it failed. The Bears were the predecessor and also failed. I appreciate your optimism, but I have my doubts.

The Bears were here for only 1 year and played in the Moorhead Sports Center - not sure what happened there. However, I would contend that if you put the Sharks in the UP Center they would have been here longer, or would still be here. A big part of it is ownership, and I don't know much about either the Bears or Sharks ownership - I have confidence in the MSF that the Force will do well.

Again - maybe it's just me being overly optimistic, but I'm going to continue to be! :D

And McFooly is trying to be the Barreiro of the north except without credibility, witt, logic, ... And I live in Fargo!

Some one needs to remind McFooley that UND is a College Hockey town and they will have Junior hockey.

Big difference.

Actually he also called him a f***ing faggot to his face. I dont think that had anything to do with his suspension but it DID happen.

thanks for the insight daddy sheppard, now go route your team on this weekend, they will score as many as they usually do per weekend but at least they wont give up any goals :D

When Rocky was the coach and if he was in a car with two players who was driving? The Fargo PD of course. The Force will be in Fargo for two or three years tops and will fold leaving people holding the bag for the money they are owed. If only that guy behind the Fargo arena had not gotten or getting divorced from Ron Offuts daughter evreything would have been allright.