SiouxSports.com Forum

Hak Suspended Two Games

CASiouxfan

You know, as I watch the video on YouTube of the ending of saturday's game, I don't think I heard of any reprimands issued either by the UM office or the WCHA to the Goofs for letting the f-bomb fly with tv camera's nearby. To me, that is more offensive than seeing Hak let the bird fly.

P.S. if you watch the video, it's comical to see how Bickel is wrestling with Zajac, but doesn't want anything to do with him. Instead he takes a swipe at Finley's head (smart?), then skates away from Zajac. Then a little bit later on, he is in the line to get off the ice, and only when he's behind Luciapet, he lets the f-bomb's go-----kinda like hiding behind dad

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monkey, He flipped off a ref on TV. I don't think that is representing the school very well, do you?

That being said, who is being punished here? I think he still get's paid, so you are not really hurting him financially. (no, I don't think you need to either. I am guessing he is plenty embarrassed already) So you are really only hurting the kids on the team.

As a Gopher fan, I think the apology is enough. Maybe fine him and give it to charity or do 20 hrs of community service stuff. 2 games is pretty stiff and uncalled for, IMHO.

Doug came out of his ordeal pretty sweet compared to Hak's two games.

As quoted in the GF Herald -

League commissioner Bruce McLeod said he supports the school's decision. The WCHA publicly reprimanded Hakstol for the incident and McLeod said there will be no further penalties from the league.

"We're satisfied with the action taken by UND, and that's the end of it," said McLeod, who suspended former Minnesota coach Doug Woog one game for giving the same gesture during the 1996 WCHA Final Five.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...;section=Sports

... I don't think I heard of any reprimands issued either by the UM office or the WCHA to the Goofs for letting the f-bomb fly with tv camera's nearby. To me, that is more offensive than seeing Hak let the bird fly.

My thoughts exactly.

Which scenario would you rather be in?

"Uncle Sicatoka, what's that mean?"

"He thinks Don Adam is #1."

or

"Uncle Sicatoka what's **** mean?"

:lol::D:lol::D

Noone has condoned Hak's mistake. He has formally apologized to everyone from his players, the alumni, Don Adam, to kids watching at home. He owned up to his mistake. UND did a pre-emptive strike by suspending him, keeping it in house rather than waiting for the league to issue something. While I originally thought one game, I think UND did two to prevent the league from thinking we took it easy on him. He also was given a formal written blemish in his personel record. Not that it means a whole lot.

Dave Hakstol is in elite company. He has lead UND to three straight Frozen Fours. Gino didn't do that, Blais didn't do that. I know there are those in the alumni and boosters who wanted Eades to be head coach, but Hak has done a great job. I think the players believe in him and believe in themselves when they play for him.

Dave Hakstol is usually a robot on the bench. He showed how much he cares about Sioux hockey and about his team last Saturday. If I'm a player, I respect that, even if on a headier level I know it was wrong.

Remember, in a huge rivalry series and conference game, we lost Duncs 7 seconds in for a CFB (legit, but not a malicious CFB). Then in the second Trupp gets cross-checked from behind and no CFB is called. In fact, from the ensuing scrum, The Gophs get a pp and we are down to only 10 available forwards for 10 minutes. The lunacy of that call is reinforced by the make-up call on Wheeler a minute later. Hak was mad and frustrated. It still doesn't make it right, but he has apologized.

I think we emerge from this a more cohesive unit. Players know that their teammates and their coach have their back. I think we will battle adversity from the officials the rest of the way, but we will rise to the occasion.

As for people commenting on JT and the Osh getting minors...Should the Gophers have suspended every under age player at the Blarney Stone following the undercover report? Of course not. College kids have few beers, guess what? Some probably even try to get laid on a Saturday night after a game too! Big Shocker. The latest TJ incident was nothing, in fact, the charges will most likely be dropped, and the circumstances are such that any reasonable person would understand.

I do want to know if Joe was speared by Wheeler. If he was, the action was somewhat warranted (albeit in poor taste).

You know, as I watch the video on YouTube of the ending of saturday's game, I don't think I heard of any reprimands issued either by the UM office or the WCHA to the Goofs for letting the f-bomb fly with tv camera's nearby. To me, that is more offensive than seeing Hak let the bird fly.

P.S. if you watch the video, it's comical to see how Bickel is wrestling with Zajac, but doesn't want anything to do with him. Instead he takes a swipe at Finley's head (smart?), then skates away from Zajac. Then a little bit later on, he is in the line to get off the ice, and only when he's behind Luciapet, he lets the f-bomb's go-----kinda like hiding behind dad

I completly agree with this i was wondering the same thing if he would be punished for that incident. not to bring on a different sport or anything but nascar drivers get fined money for saying such words on live tv

Uh... here's some vital differences for you:

1. Very few of us think that the punishment is too harsh.

2. Stealing a sweater....flipping the bird... Hmm... I don't get arrested for flipping someone off. You certainly do if you steal a sweater. Just sayin'.

3. Breaking a window with a foot... again... illegal.

4. What the EFF is a "nukker?" Or is that something that you NDSU fans like to yell at UND players like that one person at the NDSU vs UND basketball game a few years back in Fargo?

5. Try to make a point with salient facts. That means, counter it with disciplinary examples NDSU has done that is NOT correlated with BREAKING THE EFING LAW.

And by the way, I live in Fargo, and I can testify that not every NDSU fan is as blind and shallow as this guy.

Live in Fargo as well and agree not every Bison fan is like this tool, but you need a spotting scope to them in town :lol:

Now that the Coach's part in this "incident" has been dealt with, I am hoping some of you will join me in writing to the WCHA and asking that they "deal with" the other side of this "incident".

That being the sort of officiating that might make a WCHA Coach lose composure to the degree of forgetting the presence of cameras and make such a gesture to the AR. I am not excusing Coach Hakstol at all here, just saying that there is another side to this that really should be addressed by the WCHA.

If the WCHA can look at tape and hand out penalties after the game, they should also be taking a better look at the work of their own officials.

It seemed to me that a degree of control was missing from Saturday's game...and it wasn't all Coach Hakstol's.

Now that the Coach's part in this "incident" has been dealt with, I am hoping some of you will join me in writing to the WCHA and asking that they "deal with" the other side of this "incident".

UND dealing with this quickly and openly gives them a toe-hold to work from to start asking tough questions of the league office. See, we've proven we'll admit to, accept, and deal with our not so pleasant issues.

Will they?

Like I said on GPL, UND wouldn't have suspended him if the whole nickname thing was still very much up in the air. That's a huge part of this, IMO.

Thats the dumbest thing i have ever read. In fact i will put that as one of my favorite quotes and label it the dumbest thing i have EVER read

It will be interesting to see what affect Hakstol's suspension has on the team in the series against Denver. I think, undoubtedly, it will motivate them to go that extra mile for him. He's demonstrated that he's a coach who will stand behind his players, and now the players will do the same in return. This could turn out to be something that brings this team closer together, and this is the time of the year for that to happen!

it will have zero effect. Once the game starts, coaches are done coaching and its on the players

I can see some fire from lets do it for the coach - this team is about to break out & everyone contribute at the same time -(still to early to peak) just find ways to win

If it does work - the way teams copy each other - Bird will be the word :lol:

My thoughts exactly.

Which scenario would you rather be in?

"Uncle Sicatoka, what's that mean?"

"He thinks Don Adam is #1."

or

"Uncle Sicatoka what's **** mean?"

:lol::D:lol::D

Let's be honest. Letting the f-bomb fly is vulgar but letting the bird fly is an aggressive gesture toward someone else. There's a difference between cursing, and cursing someone out, and people often mistake the 2.

The bird is more out of line, IMO.

Let's be honest. Letting the f-bomb fly is vulgar but letting the bird fly is an aggressive gesture toward someone else. There's a difference between cursing, and cursing someone out, and people often mistake the 2.

The bird is more out of line, IMO.

I would disagree. Letting the bird fly at a person lets them know you are not happy with them. It does not for the most part affect anyone else. People can ignore a gesture that was not made at them if they happen to see it. However, cursing is something that affects others. They have to listen to it and deal with the questions it might pose. IMO, the bird is a way of showing some restraint instead of unleashing a string of F-bombs.

I would disagree. Letting the bird fly at a person lets them know you are not happy with them. It does not for the most part affect anyone else. People can ignore a gesture that was not made at them if they happen to see it. However, cursing is something that affects others. They have to listen to it and deal with the questions it might pose. IMO, the bird is a way of showing some restraint instead of unleashing a string of F-bombs.

Looks like we definitely disagree! :lol: When you say cursing is something that affects others, I don't know how you can ignore those that see you flipping the bird and not say that's the same thing.

Again, when you fly the bird you are cursing out that individual, saying "f you". If Hak says "f that" or "that's fing baloney" no one cares. But if he yells "f you Adam!" it's the same thing, except only Adam and the players here him (unless he's on tv). But when he flies the bird the whole arena can see it.

So yes, to me, there's quite a difference.

Looks like we definitely disagree! :lol: When you say cursing is something that affects others, I don't know how you can ignore those that see you flipping the bird and not say that's the same thing.

Again, when you fly the bird you are cursing out that individual, saying "f you". If Hak says "f that" or "that's fing baloney" no one cares. But if he yells "f you Adam!" it's the same thing, except only Adam and the players here him (unless he's on tv). But when he flies the bird the whole arena can see it.

So yes, to me, there's quite a difference.

Nothing wrong with that. I can see how flipping the bird might cause more people to see it it certain situations, like at a hockey game, where as cursing can only be heard by a few around the offender. I just think that most people watching it on tv in todays culture should know that the f word gets used by the coaches and others. So seeing the bird should be no difference that seeing him mouth the f word. It just confirmed what we thought. So I guess, for the tv part the bird might be more visible but I would rather have to deal with a gesture than words. Word are way harder to tune out because you can always look away from a gesture.