SiouxSports.com Forum

UND sports

SiouxFan100

23 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Any proof that UND sports are in better shape after dropping a few sports? What steps have been taken to improve the remaining teams and facilities? This year has been a major letdown. 

After winning the four BSC championships that matter, would expect this year would see a fallback.  Womens basketball was a major disappointment .  FB had injuries.  MBB had some bigs transfer.  VB was the only sport that improved.  Men's hockey is still TBD.  

37 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Any proof that UND sports are in better shape after dropping a few sports? What steps have been taken to improve the remaining teams and facilities? This year has been a major letdown. 

Dude, it's been less than a year and the money that we're going to save hasn't even been accounted for yet.  Holy sh%t.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

What’s the plan? How many more scholarships are planned per sport? I heard some talk about a new softball or soccer field? Phase II apparently might not happen for a few years. Any dudes out there know the plan?

The budget cuts are completely separate from HP Phase II.  That is private.

UND cut their budget.  They didn't reallocate that money somewhere else.  Cut.  Yah, some sports got a bump but it's not like the money from BB, WH and SD went to other sports.

51 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

What’s the plan? How many more scholarships are planned per sport? I heard some talk about a new softball or soccer field? Phase II apparently might not happen for a few years. Any dudes out there know the plan?

The following is a short except from a much longer article, which appeared a few weeks ago in the university’s online magazine —UND Today,  about UND’s most recent financials report to the NCAA (it addresses some of the cost cutting and what has been done with those savings):

Then, last year, UND Athletics had to reduce its overall budget by $1.3 million to adjust for $700,000 in one-time NCAA distributions that would not be replicated and as part of University-wide cuts brought on by falling oil and agricultural prices and decreases in state funding. The resulting Academic Year 2018 budget of $21.9 million reflects funding from ticket sales, contributions, student fees, and $6 million in institutional support.

This belt-tightening resulted in the elimination of women’s hockey and men’s and women’s swimming and diving, whose total budgets in the Athletics Department were $2.3 million.

That didn’t mean, however, that UND Athletics all of a sudden was awash with freed-up cash.

Last year’s restructuring anticipated reinvesting about $500,000 of those savings in new scholarships in eight remaining programs (women’s golf, women’s and men’s tennis, women’s and men’s track and cross country, and softball), both maintaining UND’s strong record for gender-equity compliance and enhancing the competitiveness of those programs.

Another $200,000 was used to offset increases in scholarship costs, and $100,000 covered increases in health insurance for Athletics Department employees. Also, about $175,000 was needed for contracted salary increases to retain coaches and assistant coaches with proven track records.

These financial moves leave UND with a stronger, more competitive athletics program and will be reflected in UND Athletics’ FY18 NCAA report, due at this time next year.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I was all for the cuts in the number of sports. Our softball team is doing pretty good so I was wondering if they got a few more scholarships  I thought almost all the women hockey players found a home at other schools freeing up hundreds of thousands dollars from that program. We will be stronger but it almost seems like we are barely getting ahead. 

From 2016 FY NCAA Financial Report:

Support Staff 

Football $ 94,220                          1,108/Scholarship       8,565/per gm (11 games)

Men's Basketball $ 79,158           5,654/Scholarship       2,827/per gm (28 games)

Uniforms/Equipment

Football  $ 229,858                       2,704/scholarship (85)

Men's Basketball $ 46,052          3,209/scholarship (14)

EADA Report (Reporting Year 7/1/16-6/30/17)

16 Grand Total Revenues Minus Grand Total Expenses (Line 14- Line 11)   $1,274,005

25 minutes ago, planet2county said:

From 2016 FY NCAA Financial Report:

Support Staff 

Football $ 94,220                          1,108/Scholarship       8,565/per gm (11 games)

Men's Basketball $ 79,158           5,654/Scholarship       2,827/per gm (28 games)

Uniforms/Equipment

Football  $ 229,858                       2,704/scholarship (85)

Men's Basketball $ 46,052          3,209/scholarship (14)

EADA Report (Reporting Year 7/1/16-6/30/17)

16 Grand Total Revenues Minus Grand Total Expenses (Line 14- Line 11)   $1,274,005

....and?

9 hours ago, planet2county said:

This is great info - thanks for posting.  A couple of quick observations:

• IMO - it certainly reinforces that a correct decision was made regarding women's hockey.
  • It reinforces that it is a great advantage for schools (including NDSU) whose fundraising efforts exceed the cost of all athletic scholarships.  In our case, student aid totaled $5.3M while donations totaled $3.9M.  We could do a lot with an extra $1M plus each year. 

I understand that these numbers do not reflect the current situation as it includes the sports that were discontinued.

It would be great to see how we compare to NDSU and the two SD schools.  Where did you find this?  Were other schools available?

4 hours ago, UND Fan said:

This is great info - thanks for posting.  A couple of quick observations:

• IMO - it certainly reinforces that a correct decision was made regarding women's hockey.
  • It reinforces that it is a great advantage for schools (including NDSU) whose fundraising efforts exceed the cost of all athletic scholarships.  In our case, student aid totaled $5.3M while donations totaled $3.9M.  We could do a lot with an extra $1M plus each year. 

I understand that these numbers do not reflect the current situation as it includes the sports that were discontinued.

It would be great to see how we compare to NDSU and the two SD schools.  Where did you find this?  Were other schools available?

https://und.edu/finance-operations/vpfo-reports/und-ncaa-summary.cfm

For comparison, this is a link to 2015 and 2016, as well.  I have spent a couple hours searching for NDSU's NCAA report, and it doesn't appear that they make it readily available to the public.  Anyone know how to do an open records request?

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

https://und.edu/finance-operations/vpfo-reports/und-ncaa-summary.cfm

For comparison, this is a link to 2015 and 2016, as well.  I have spent a couple hours searching for NDSU's NCAA report, and it doesn't appear that they make it readily available to the public.  Anyone know how to do an open records request?

You should be able to just email them and ask for the report(s). 

ndsu.budget@ndsu.edu is probably a good place to start with the email.  

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be interesting to see the semester GPA's of each sport and the graduation rates of  each after 6 years......I know the BIG conference does this....maybe a conference requirement.....don't know...

I,would guess at UND the hockey  grad rates, at least......would be the least....outside of the few local kids on the team....most aren't here  for the education....exceptions of course"...you can find  exceptions in every measure....

John,

UND puts out a release semesterly talking about student-athlete GPA by team (can't go by participant because of privacy). 

The NCAA rates each team of each school with an APR. That factors in graduation rates. 

You're a bright fellow; there are your leads; go and investigate. 

4 hours ago, John W. said:

It would be interesting to see the semester GPA's of each sport and the graduation rates of  each after 6 years......I know the BIG conference does this....maybe a conference requirement.....don't know...

I,would guess at UND the hockey  grad rates, at least......would be the least....outside of the few local kids on the team....most aren't here  for the education....exceptions of course"...you can find  exceptions in every measure....

Pretty blanket statement there. The NCAA literally has requirements that must be met for this. Post-season bans are one form of punishment if an institution fails to meet the NCAA standards.  

The crap that people throw against the wall sometimes...:silly:

6 hours ago, John W. said:

I think you would be surprised by the number of kids that leave UND early, but come back and still graduate.  Helps with on-line classes.

• 1 month later...