SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

It seems like Heidi is staking her Senate reelection campaign upon reinstatement of WIH.

After all, she had success in her hold up of USA Hockey.  A modern day Jesse Jackson is Heidi.

She certainly will be an overwhelming favorite among WIH fans.  Win by a landslide among that key demographic.

fixed

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Looks like everyone is ignoring Toms story.

No one is ignoring it, I was just making an observation that Brad hadn't tweeted/retweeted anything yet about the letter.

He's reported/had an opinion on almost every other negative news regarding the women's hockey team. I was just wondering how he missed the final nail.

1 minute ago, LeftyZL said:

No one is ignoring it, I was just making an observation that Brad hadn't tweeted/retweeted anything yet about the letter.

He's reported/had an opinion on almost every other negative news regarding the women's hockey team. I was just wondering how he missed the final nail.

Sometimes it's hard to admit when it's over.  Feel bad for the gals, tough break all around.

3 minutes ago, LeftyZL said:

Biased news reporting. 

What else is new these days? 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, LeftyZL said:

None of the players I've seen have tweeted Toms story and neither has Brad, so it looks like they are ignoring something that is against them. One person replied to Toms tweet about his story that is for women's hockey being reinstated.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/4246494-letter-unds-title-ix-compliance-remains-air

Now I know that UND hired lawyers to verify that cutting women's ice hockey would be Title IX compliant, based on "providing athletic participation opportunities that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment."

But what do even those lawyers know, really?

:blink:

A premier national firm specializing in Title IX law doesn't know about Title IX law. 

cef173f99e514a78eae54418c2086f40.jpg

That letter, that's a "double hamstring pull" stretch. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/4246493-letter-unds-relentless-cuts-hurt-loyalty-alums

Yes ma'am, cuts hurt.
But remember, a significant number of Alumni are ND taxpayers.
They also expect their State and its universities to run efficiently and effectively. 

Wonder how many women's hockey games she has attended? I bet its in the single digits no greater than zero. 

• Downvote 1

On 4/3/2017 at 11:26 AM, UND-1 said:

They are going to start a twitter campaign.  Bunch of hashtags.  Followed by a Title IX misinformation campaign with no facts to back it up.  

At no time will you hear them mention dollar figures or budget.  

Bump.

• Upvote 1

What's interesting to me about Heitkamp going on ESPN, is that in 2014, her and Rick Berg were both at tailgating and neither were allowed into the Champion's Club, at least one point in the day, because they weren't Champion's Club members.... so what does that tell you?

I'm sure the Senator provides support back through the Alumni Association or some other form, and that was 3 years ago, but if that little observation was accurate in 2014; what does that say about the depth of those beliefs if they weren't back up by money?

If there was a misunderstanding that day, and she was a Champion's Club member, my apologies for the irrelevant anecdote.

1 minute ago, ericpnelson said:

What's interesting to me about Heitkamp going on ESPN, is that in 2014, her and Rick Berg were both at tailgating and neither were allowed into the Champion's Club, at least one point in the day, because they weren't Champion's Club members.... so what does that tell you?

I'm sure the Senator provides support back through the Alumni Association or some other form, and that was 3 years ago, but if that little observation was accurate in 2014; what does that say about the depth of those beliefs if they weren't back up by money?

If there was a misunderstanding that day, and she was a Champion's Club member, my apologies for the irrelevant anecdote.

She probably said it for votes. She is up for re-election next year. As you can tell Hoeven, and Cramer (both recently elected) have been silent on the matter. 

10 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

She probably said it for votes. She is up for re-election next year. As you can tell Hoeven, and Cramer (both recently elected) have been silent on the matter. 

Cramer is up for re-election next year too.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/4246493-letter-unds-relentless-cuts-hurt-loyalty-alums

Yes ma'am, cuts hurt.
But remember, a significant number of Alumni are ND taxpayers.
They also expect their State and its universities to run efficiently and effectively. 

Ah yes, those poor, overburdened ND taxpayers.:silly:  ND income taxes are peanuts. My tax refund this year from the state was just a hair over $20. Anyone whining about income taxes in this state just wants a free lunch.

And having worked at UND for the better part of 14 years, I can tell you that we do run things "efficiently and effectively". We don't live high on the hog, no matter what Rob Port thinks. No faculty member has ever gotten rich teaching here. The Legislature should just throw off all the pretense and call for the complete privatization of the NDUS. That is what most of them want anyway.

Having said all that, I do support cutting women's hockey and both swimming and diving programs and getting us down to 16 sports (17 if you count privately funded men's golf). But that is something that should have happened when we moved up to D-I (back in 2008 or so).

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

My tax refund this year from the state was just a hair over $20. Anyone whining about income taxes in this state just wants a free lunch.

Congrats on giving Gov Bergum a free loan of $20. 

Me? I'll be writing checks. Big ones. And skipping lunch. 

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You realize that what you get for a refund (or pay in) has zero to do with actual tax rates and everything to do whether or not you have the proper right? You owe what you owe and a refund just means you paid in more during the year than you were required. Also, if you are so inclined, since tax rates are so low, you are more than free to pay more than you are legally obligated. Nothing is stopping you from paying  higher than required rates so you don't feel like you are looking for a free lunch.

Thank you for missing the point. Look at ND tax rates. They are barely above zero. Anyone whining about ND tax rates has no leg to stand on. Now if we are talking about the 15,000+ page Federal tax code, then you have something to complain about.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Thank you for missing the point. Look at ND tax rates. They are barely above zero. Anyone whining about ND tax rates has no leg to stand on. Now if we are talking about the 15,000+ page Federal tax code, then you have something to complain about.

Yes, but ND does "the Triple". 

ND has income, property, and sales taxes. 

"Barely above zero" is close to the price of my four season (Coaches) hockey tickets. And then there's property, and sales, taxes. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, lawkota said:

Is this the part of the thread where we compare W-2s?  Asking for a friend.

Sure.
But how about 1040s instead (make and pay in taxes comparisons). ;) 

Mine (where I have some ugly checks to write in the next ten days) are laying right here. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yes, but ND does "the Triple". 

ND has income, property, and sales taxes. 

"Barely above zero" is close to the price of my four season (Coaches) hockey tickets. And then there's property, and sales, taxes. 

Income we have talked about...it is peanuts.

Property is taxed at the state level, but more so at the local level.

Sales is paid by everyone at some point.

I do see your point, though.

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Sure.
But how about 1040s instead (make and pay in taxes comparisons). ;) 

Mine (where I have some ugly checks to write in the next ten days) are laying right here. 

Do you need GoFundMe help?

I'll text one of the twins to get that started for you..............................................

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Do you need GoFundMe help?

I'll text one of the twins to get that started for you..............................................

Nah, you'll just swing by and clean out the change in your cup holder in your ride and cover me. ;):D