SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

5 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

So where was this outrage when we were still the Fighting Sioux and only the hockey teams wore the logo?

The basketball shorts had the logo, the football team had the logo on the chest, so no need for an outrage. 

1 hour ago, KSSioux said:

The truly honest answer to the original question is that in the Brien logo era, the football team had a 1" logo on the collar of the jersey (bottom of the neckline) and NEVER had that logo at midfield.  It is true that the basketball team had the logo on the side of their shorts a few years, but also NEVER had that logo at center court.  It will also be true that the hockey sweaters this year will have the Hawk logo on their shoulders, and will likely be similar size to the logo that was on the side of the basketball shorts,  So being honest, the hockey team this year will have a larger Hawk logo than the football team ever wore during the Brien logo era.  I will also guess that on the ice (maybe not this year, but quickly) you will see the Hawk logo appear in the same area, and near the same size, as was at the Scheel arena regional ice this March.  You can decide for yourself the real "outrage" of some people. 

For the first time last season the football team had a logo on their helmet that wasn't the interlocking ND, there has never been a logo at the 50 yard line either at Memorial Stadium or the Alerus. The words Fighting Sioux or Sioux was always in the end zones until 2012 when the name was retired. A new turf I am sure is coming when they change conferences in 2020. The football team and stadium is more Hawk acceptable than any other sport including the coaches. Bubba always sports a Hawk hat, his players cheering on the basketball team with Hawk cheers. I guess maybe the REA needs more time to be more Hawk acceptable. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, darell1976 said:

For the first time last season the football team had a logo on their helmet that wasn't the interlocking ND, there has never been a logo at the 50 yard line either at Memorial Stadium or the Alerus. The words Fighting Sioux or Sioux was always in the end zones until 2012 when the name was retired. A new turf I am sure is coming when they change conferences in 2020. The football team and stadium is more Hawk acceptable than any other sport including the coaches. Bubba always sports a Hawk hat, his players cheering on the basketball team with Hawk cheers. I guess maybe the REA needs more time to be more Hawk acceptable. 

:ohmy: this was the closest emoji I could find that looked like a yawn!

You need to pay attention, the booing has died, the booing has ALWAYS come from one section the whole time, the students section! With a few students scattered all throughout the arena that may add to it! The adults on SS.com are more than likely not part of it. But yet you keep preaching to us about it! Before some of your minions chime in telling me to click over this, I guess I could just tell you to ignore the very faint booing.....?

You keep blaming everything on the REA, do you really think they have that much power over the team from UND? Maybe this whole decision is from UND thinking that they.... (this will butt hurt you bad)....ready?.....

They don't want to bite the hand that feeds them? 

**All at once anyway, just ease into it. Everyone knows it is coming.**

Gonna be a great season, I can feel it!

Go Sioux/Hawks!!

Edited by bigskyvikes
To add the ** ** part.
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

:ohmy: this was the closest emoji I could find that looked like a yawn!

You need to pay attention, the booing has died, the booing has ALWAYS come from one section the whole time, the students section! With a few students scattered all throughout the arena that may add to it! The adults on SS.com are more than likely not part of it. But yet you keep preaching to us about it! Before some of your minions chime in telling me to click over this, I guess I could just tell you to ignore the very faint booing.....?

You keep blaming everything on the REA, do you really think they have that much power over the team from UND? Maybe this whole decision is from UND thinking that they.... (this will butt hurt you bad)....ready?.....

They don't want to bite the hand that feeds them? 

**All at once anyway, just ease into it. Everyone knows it is coming.**

Gonna be a great season, I can feel it!

Go Sioux/Hawks!!

That's funny!!! OMG that is funny. Yeah let's not make the REA mad by forcing the nickname and logo of the school onto them. Do you think the REA will kick UND out of their building? Lol!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, sprig said:

Forcing the logo on anyone or any building is a waste of time. Have some patience,  it will happen. In the meantime quit the constant complaining.

Just like people constantly complain about the logo and nickname. Why should I quit while they continue? 

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

That's funny!!! OMG that is funny. Yeah let's not make the REA mad by forcing the nickname and logo of the school onto them. Do you think the REA will kick UND out of their building? Lol!!!!!

I tried, I even told you to pay attention! Talk about funny and.... OMG!

Try to keep up!

I told you that YOU are crazy to think the REA has that much power, YOU keep saying "the REA wants this, the REA did that". 

Not biting the hand that feeds you! The hand is the UND mens hockey teams massive and loyal fan base! That's the people I think they (UND not the REA) dont want to ram the change down their (the fans) throats even though everyone knows it has/is happening!

Good luck...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

I tried, I even told you to pay attention! Talk about funny and.... OMG!

Try to keep up!

I told you that YOU are crazy to think the REA has that much power, YOU keep saying "the REA wants this, the REA did that". 

Not biting the hand that feeds you! The hand is the UND mens hockey teams massive and loyal fan base! That's the people I think they (UND not the REA) dont want to ram the change down their (the fans) throats even though everyone knows it has/is happening!

Good luck...

So what is really going on?  Is the University forcing the name and logo on people or are some people just being stubborn and resistance to change?  The University is moving forward and marketing and displaying their new identity.  And that is the Fighting Hawks.  Both name and logo are officially representing the University of North Dakota and specifically its athletic department.   Promoting the official name and logo of the University is not ramming it down peoples throats.  UND should not cater to those that want to resist change.  hockey fans at UND are not the only fans at UND.  You are not any more special because you don't support the Fighting Hawks name and proudly identify as a "Sioux Forever" fan.  While you may think its cool to be negative towards the Fighting Hawks name and logo, you are not helping.  

Now I am not going to come on here and tell people that they have to go head over heels and be in love with the Fighting Hawks name and logo right now.  I get it.  Some people are slow to accept change.  My point is to not be negative and resistant just because UND is trying to market the school and its athletic teams via the Fighting Hawks logo.  You don't support the Fighting Hawks name and logo?  Fine.  But don't accuse UND of "ramming it down your throats" when all they are doing is marketing their product.  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So what is really going on?  Is the University forcing the name and logo on people or are some people just being stubborn and resistance to change?  The University is moving forward and marketing and displaying their new identity.  And that is the Fighting Hawks.  Both name and logo are officially representing the University of North Dakota and specifically its athletic department.   Promoting the official name and logo of the University is not ramming it down peoples throats.  UND should not cater to those that want to resist change.  hockey fans at UND are not the only fans at UND.  You are not any more special because you don't support the Fighting Hawks name and proudly identify as a "Sioux Forever" fan.  While you may think its cool to be negative towards the Fighting Hawks name and logo, you are not helping.  

Now I am not going to come on here and tell people that they have to go head over heels and be in love with the Fighting Hawks name and logo right now.  I get it.  Some people are slow to accept change.  My point is to not be negative and resistant just because UND is trying to market the school and its athletic teams via the Fighting Hawks logo.  You don't support the Fighting Hawks name and logo?  Fine.  But don't accuse UND of "ramming it down your throats" when all they are doing is marketing their product.  

Thats a pretty bold statement (get it?) since you don't know anything about me and also..... you are very wrong with saying that is how I am responding to the Hawks name.

You and your buddy are just struggling with comprehension...maybe I'm not writing it clear enough.....?

I will just quote Sprig below, that is pretty much what I'm saying in a nut shell...and I don't want to argue with you and Darrell anymore.

17 hours ago, sprig said:

Forcing the logo on anyone or any building is a waste of time. Have some patience,  it will happen. In the meantime quit the constant complaining.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The problem is that those that don't like or haven't accepted the reality of a new nickname seem to equate any attempt UND makes at marketing themselves and the athletic department as "forcing it down people's throat" which is absurd. UND is finally stepping up their marketing after a lackluster 5+ years in that department, people will just have to accept that the Fighting Hawks brand is going to be part of that. The alternative is the status quo on how they were previously handling their marketing and Kennedy has made it clear that path is not acceptable. I can't say I disagree with him. It was embarrassing the lack of resources that were being dedicated towards promotion and branding, though with how big of a mess that area was, you can't really blame them. They finally have things put into place to make a push and are following through accordingly.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Thats a pretty bold statement (get it?) since you don't know anything about me and also..... you are very wrong with saying that is how I am responding to the Hawks name.

You and your buddy are just struggling with comprehension...maybe I'm not writing it clear enough.....?

I will just quote Sprig below, that is pretty much what I'm saying in a nut shell...and I don't want to argue with you and Darrell anymore.

I wasn't calling you our specifically.  Was speaking in general terms.  Sorry for the confusion.  That being said, there are people that feel that way.  And UND does not need to cater to those who are never going to change their opinions on the issue.  My point is UND does not need to cater to those people.  If you are offended by seeing the Fighting Hawks name and logo, than maybe you should change what college team you cheer for, because the name and logo are not going anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think und hung some new hawk flags on the west side of hyslop...seems a little unneeded as that building isn't used that much (for fans anyway) but there was no wind blowingto move them around...

It's the main administrative building for North Dakota Athletics. Makes sense to me. No wind is a rarity in North Dakota; not on SiouxSports, however. :D

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

It's the main administrative building for North Dakota Athletics. Makes sense to me. No wind is a rarity in North Dakota; not on SiouxSports, however. :D

true but those west doors are very unused...they would like much nicer flanking the north door which is used more and very visible for people entering and exiting the ramp...

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:17 PM, darell1976 said:

Just turn the volume down on your TV if you are so offended. I go to the games and have heard them the last couple years when they have tried to introduce the new name to scoring and penalty announcements....it was funny at first and still kind of is but it is getting to be less all the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Well, as Meatloaf said, "Two out of three ain't bad"....

One of three ain't bad either when it comes to logos, that being the Sioux.

But life goes on, we lost that battle, time will heal. 

As UND's athletics future really looks bright (at least in the short term), with UND's accelerated attempt to promote the Hawk's name and logo; healing will accelerate.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...