SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

17 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Perusing this thread.  From an outsider's perspective, whatever new name you chose was going to receive resistance, however, choosing something as stale and generic as "Hawks" was like adding fuel to the fire.  I don't think this debate would still be raging the way it is and people would have opened up more to the new nickname if the original key attributes for choosing the new nickname were followed: 

• Representative of state/region
  • Honor past/look to future
  • Promote pride, strength, fierceness, passion
  • Sense of community/connectedness
  • Intimidation to competitors
  • Unique, recognizable, distinctly UND

The administration started with these attributes and ended up with a generic "Fighting Hawks".  How does that happen?  The name does none of those things.  Perhaps if the nickname met the original criteria there would be more acceptance. 

My advice, save whatever money you were going to spend on any major marketing campaign to promote and sell the new logo and start over, pick something new.  After people see how bad it CAN get...Fighting Hawks...they will be much more receptive to something else.

Sorry, I like many on here, have a PH.D. in this stuff.  No matter what name was ultimately chosen, the backlash would have been the same (yes, even just "North Dakota" as it did have its fair share of detractors). The love for the old name was, as it would be for any school, just too strong.  If we would have been the "Terrible Termites" for 80 years, and in some bizarro world, changed to the "Fighting Sioux,"  the torches and the pitch forks would have been just as prevalent.  YOu love what you know and our culture is totally averse to change. Oh and we Germanic-Scandahooovians also hate others telling us what to do.

• Upvote 2

I don't blame Ed for his decision, after how the vote was bleeped by Kelley. I didn't want to go through that again.  Also, did anyone have any confidence that they could get it done in time before Kennedy took over?  UND had bigger issues and still has bigger issues right now that the nickname.

If Kennedy wants to jump down that rabbit hole in 5-10 years when UND is stronger, then by all means.  Now?  The outcry of wasting money will be loud.

Of course you could have slapped Fighting in front of any of the names and it would have won... and yes people voted for an adjective and a logo we weren't going to get.

• Upvote 1

On 7/24/2017 at 3:29 PM, darell1976 said:

Go on Facebook, and every time there is a post by UND hockey (their official page) there are tons of fans bashing anyone saying anything positive about the Hawks name. Lots of Sioux forever, you mean go Sioux, the Hawk logo with an X for an eye among others. It's not bad when it's on the UND basketball, football or volleyball pages, very little Hawk bashing, but it's mostly on the hockey page. So saying the hockey only fans have moved on is very premature. 

Has to be true...I can tell because of the Facebook comments.  :lol:  Hey, I also read on Facebook that they're shutting down all Taco Bells in 2018.  Guess I'd better stock up on chili cheese burritos with extra cheese while I still can, eh?  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

Perusing this thread.  From an outsider's perspective, whatever new name you chose was going to receive resistance, however, choosing something as stale and generic as "Hawks" was like adding fuel to the fire.  I don't think this debate would still be raging the way it is and people would have opened up more to the new nickname if the original key attributes for choosing the new nickname were followed: 

The administration started with these attributes and ended up with a generic "Fighting Hawks".  How does that happen?  The name does none of those things.  Perhaps if the nickname met the original criteria there would be more acceptance. 

My advice, save whatever money you were going to spend on any major marketing campaign to promote and sell the new logo and start over, pick something new.  After people see how bad it CAN get...Fighting Hawks...they will be much more receptive to something else.

Nailed it!  Nice job Yote53.

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Has to be true...I can tell because of the Facebook comments.  :lol:  Hey, I also read on Facebook that they're shutting down all Taco Bells in 2018.  Guess I'd better stock up on chili cheese burritos with extra cheese while I still can, eh?  

Laugh all you want, the divide is alive and well and as long as the REA pleases its "Fighting Sioux Forever" crowd by not implementing the logo around the building or ice or announcing the Hawks name on goals, penalty kills, etc. it will stay that way. The Alerus is overwhelmingly accepting the Hawk name and logo including a scretching Hawk noise after a TD not surprising seeing more and more Hawk gear in the stands and the chants of Let's Go Sioux being silenced as not many join in. The REA feeds the divided.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Laugh all you want, the divide is alive and well and as long as the REA pleases its "Fighting Sioux Forever" crowd by not implementing the logo around the building or ice or announcing the Hawks name on goals, penalty kills, etc. it will stay that way. The Alerus is overwhelmingly accepting the Hawk name and logo including a scretching Hawk noise after a TD not surprising seeing more and more Hawk gear in the stands and the chants of Let's Go Sioux being silenced as not many join in. The REA feeds the divided.

So what did you think of the "divide" that Roger Thomas created when he made the decision to stop putting Sioux heads on the football uniforms?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So what did you think of the "divide" that Roger Thomas created when he made the decision to stop putting Sioux heads on the football uniforms?

If you are talking about when he was AD there was still the Fighting Sioux name announced at games (Here come your Fighting Sioux, First down Fighting Sioux, etc), the Sioux name was on the inflatable helmet, the words Fighting Sioux was in the Endzones a little tiny Sioux Indian head on the chest of the jersey which really isn't that noticeable to the crowd wasn't going to create a divide.  If you are talking about when he was coaching, the Sioux logo (I believe it was the blackhawk logo) was on the sleeves, was let go by Kendall Baker.

12 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Under Armour is probably my favorite brand.  They put out good merch.  This is a good looking hat.  Is it fitted?  Where did you get it?

Yeah it's fitted and the material breathes really well.  One of the most well made hats I've ever had.  I got it at Scheels in Fargo.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, darell1976 said:

There are many fans at all sports wearing Sioux coats, shirts, hats, and at hockey, jerseys. This will continue for a long time, and should not continue to create the divide you speak of. You may see me in a Sioux jersey and Hawk hat, or a Sioux hat and Hawk shirt. No need to blame the rea. The Brien logo in the marble floors, in the cherry wood seats, and all over in former player photos will remain throughout the arena, as new Hawk logo stuff is added. Our current history, not our fan division. Live with it. 

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, sprig said:

There are many fans at all sports wearing Sioux coats, shirts, hats, and at hockey, jerseys. This will continue for a long time, and should not continue to create the divide you speak of. You may see me in a Sioux jersey and Hawk hat, or a Sioux hat and Hawk shirt. No need to blame the rea. The Brien logo in the marble floors, in the cherry wood seats, and all over in former player photos will remain throughout the arena, as new Hawk logo stuff is added. Our current history, not our fan division. Live with it. 

So why are they so hesitant on a Hawk at center ice, or how about a "Here's your University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks Scoring", it's like they are afraid to say Fighting Hawks to the crowd. How about  renaming the Sioux shop to the Hawk Shop. Without much Sioux gear there isn't a point to call it the Sioux Shop.

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

So why are they so hesitant on a Hawk at center ice, or how about a "Here's your University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks Scoring", it's like they are afraid to say Fighting Hawks to the crowd. How about  renaming the Sioux shop to the Hawk Shop. Without much Sioux gear there isn't a point to call it the Sioux Shop.

So you're telling the "Sioux Forever" crowd to deal with the nickname change and get over it then you complain that the Ralph hasn't done anything with the name, it'll happen when it happens so get over it! And you're the only one that seems to bring up diversity, I don't think most other people care

• Upvote 3

I wore my Fighting Hawks hoodie to the UND/Denver series in early 2016 and they got swept.  I decided I would no longer wear it to games, but it has nothing to do with it being Fighting Hawks gear.

Had UND swept, I likely would have been wearing a hoodie in April in Florida.

20 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Nailed it.  Absolutely crushed it out of the park.  Could not have said it better myself.

• Downvote 1

22 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

You're suggesting ANOTHER nickname vote?   No way that should happen.  It's already been a farce...this would make it 100X worse.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Well the real head scratcher is that there were former athletes on the committee and it didn't appear that they ever asked the questions related to how the final names that were voted on related back to the goals they were given . In my opinion if they stuck to the key attributes Fighting Hawks doesn't even make the list.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Well the real head scratcher is that there were former athletes on the committee and it didn't appear that they ever asked the questions related to how the final names that were voted on related back to the goals they were given . In my opinion if they stuck to the key attributes Fighting Hawks doesn't even make the list.  

But it had the word "Fighting" in it.  :silly:

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2017 at 4:12 PM, Yote 53 said:

Representative of state/region

Honor past/look to future

Promote pride, strength, fierceness, passion

Sense of community/connectedness

Intimidation to competitors

Unique, recognizable, distinctly UND

The administration started with these attributes and ended up with a generic "Fighting Hawks".  How does that happen?  The name does none of those things. 

On 7/28/2017 at 5:47 PM, Blackheart said:

Nailed it!  Nice job Yote53.

6 hours ago, DamStrait said:

Nailed it.  Absolutely crushed it out of the park.  Could not have said it better myself.

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

But it had the word "Fighting" in it.  :silly:

Sounds like some of you guys think UND really missed the boat by not going with "Sundogs"...    

:lol:

23 hours ago, darell1976 said:

The scretching hawk is absolutely terrible and should be discontinued. Perhaps the new sound system will improve it though.... It currently sounds like the DJ screwed up the music.

32 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

The scretching hawk is absolutely terrible and should be discontinued. Perhaps the new sound system will improve it though.... It currently sounds like the DJ screwed up the music.

To each his own. The new sound system will be a big improvement but I thought that and the "curious" hawk were great. 

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

I can't wait to hear the new sound system. When they played a video you couldn't understand what they were saying. Hopefully that's all fixed. 

18 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Committee?  HA!  I think you mean El Presidente.  Don't think for a second that that wasn't the case.  He was hired by the SBoHE to be the trigger man on Fighting Sioux.  Once that was done, it was on to picking a nice safe brown paper bag name.  He wasn't about to turn the reins over to some "committee" for that, no matter what the Herald says.  He accomplished that and then skipped town without losing a second of sleep.

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

Committee?  HA!  I think you mean El Presidente.  Don't think for a second that that wasn't the case.  He was hired by the SBoHE to be the trigger man on Fighting Sioux.  Once that was done, it was on to picking a nice safe brown paper bag name.  He wasn't about to turn the reins over to some "committee" for that, no matter what the Herald says.  He accomplished that and then skipped town without losing a second of sleep.

Personally knowing some of the people on the committee, that is a complete lie and takes some unnecessary shots at some people who have done a ton for UND. 

I do agree that part of Kelley's job when he was hired was to take care of the nickname issue but the writing was already on the wall when he started in mid-2008 as the settlement was signed in 2007.

• Upvote 3

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:11 PM, MafiaMan said:

You're suggesting ANOTHER nickname vote?   No way that should happen.  It's already been a farce...this would make it 100X worse.

Not now, but eventually, yeah, that should probably happen.