SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

23 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

That debacle as you say was a complete embarrassment for ND. At the time I was already slowly becoming a fan of the Fighting Hawks name and logo, but during those protests is when I gave up on the SIOUX, especially being Standing Rock didn't help us with retaining the SIOUX name years ago. Sure I have lots of UND apparel, and will still wear them, but more for like memory of some great times (not for like some sign of protest) while supporting the Hawks. When the new name first came out and later the logo, I had some negative comments. Now, it's growing on me and I can say I accept it. Time will heal the wound from the name and logo change for many, UND is more important that the logo.

This statement is probably true for most people who have decided to accept the name and logo for what it is and embrace it.  We all can agree the name was generic and the logo could have been better.  But once you make that decision to but all that behind, including the process and the debacle of the nickname issue since 2005, you can begin to accept the Fighting Hawks name and support it as you support UND.  Many people don't want to make that decision.  In time, hopefully more and more do.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The NCAA has shown again that it will STEAMROLL anyone who opposes its agenda.  If you have any doubt how serious they were about scrubbing "Fighting Sioux" from the history books, you only need to look at the boycott of North Carolina that essentially put Duke on the road against the University of SOUTH Carolina in the men's NCAA tournament.  If the NCAA was willing to mess with one of the cash cows of March Madness just to "prove" their opinion, rest assured, they would have spent millions to get rid of "Fighting Sioux."  

I, too, smiled at the "Sioux Forever" chant immediately after the Frozen Four.  Then when I heard it in-person at Target Center a month or so ago, I cringed.  It's time to move on.  It was quite an experience watching the men's basketball team in March Madness - think about that, OUR men's basketball team playing in March Madness.  Unthinkable back in 1988-1992 when I was at UND.  The jerseys looked great and so did the wordmark on them - as well as the logo on the TV scoreboard.  The university is still wearing green, white, and black, and I am looking forward to seeing the new wordmark and logo on the hockey jerseys next season.  Hawks on the jerseys, Sioux in my heart, but still MY University of North Dakota.     

Very well written Mafia! You must have been inspired by the various manifestos I have written on this forum over the years! :p

• Downvote 1