SiouxSports.com Forum

Whoa - UND Student Senate Non-Confidence Vote

UNDBIZ

According to the Herald online poll. The GF community doesnt think very highly of Kelley.

According to a recent SiouxSports.com poll, Kelley ranked just below the head of ISIS and one spot above Dave Hakstol in terms of popularity...

• Upvote 2

This whole thing is just embarrassing for us regardless of who is at fault. I don't know who's fault it is but there was a few pieces of information I found very interesting from the tweets I read:

1) The Administrators were not defending transparency but attacking the character of students that are paying to go to the University, are you kidding me...

2) Having executive meetings scheduled while the Student Body President is in class is awfully suspicious. I can't believe that administrators wouldn't know something as simple as the class schedule for the student body president.

3) The fact that it took a threat of a vote of no confidence to increase communication is embarrassing on both sides, this alone clearly shows big problems.

Anytime someone attacks the other persons' character when they are accused of something screams something fishy to me. If I were accused of something like this that wasn't true, wouldn't you want to defend transparency as opposed to attacking students character. I haven't been following this too closely, but if it's true that the Student Body President has the proof he claims he does than I would support a vote of no confidence. He would have to have the proof he states he does though.

• Upvote 4

I think the student body president has gotten himself in over his head in this one. Not going to argue that there isn't issues with university administrations in general and UND is no exception but he was looking for a fight to pick and found it. And I'd be careful on putting too much weight on "neutral" opinions from someone who is always looking to take down higher education.

• Upvote 1

... but if it's true that the Student Body President has the proof he claims he does than I would support a vote of no confidence. He would have to have the proof he states he does though.

Basically, let's let all the facts and information come out. ;)

This whole thing is just embarrassing for us regardless of who is at fault. I don't know who's fault it is but there was a few pieces of information I found very interesting from the tweets I read:

1) The Administrators were not defending transparency but attacking the character of students that are paying to go to the University, are you kidding me...

2) Having executive meetings scheduled while the Student Body President is in class is awfully suspicious. I can't believe that administrators wouldn't know something as simple as the class schedule for the student body president.

3) The fact that it took a threat of a vote of no confidence to increase communication is embarrassing on both sides, this alone clearly shows big problems.

Anytime someone attacks the other persons' character when they are accused of something screams something fishy to me. If I were accused of something like this that wasn't true, wouldn't you want to defend transparency as opposed to attacking students character. I haven't been following this too closely, but if it's true that the Student Body President has the proof he claims he does than I would support a vote of no confidence. He would have to have the proof he states he does though.

I get where you are going, but in regards for Point 2.  University Senate meetings are held at 4:05 pm on the first Thursday of every month.  IIRC, they have been that way for many years...so as Student Body President...knowing that you should attend those meetings...why would you sign up for a class that conflicts with that?

Yes, that might be the only time that the class is scheduled for.  However, I know several past Student Body presidents and most of them knew that they would have to schedule their classes around these things.

I get where you are going, but in regards for Point 2.  University Senate meetings are held at 4:05 pm on the first Thursday of every month.  IIRC, they have been that way for many years...so as Student Body President...knowing that you should attend those meetings...why would you sign up for a class that conflicts with that?

Yes, that might be the only time that the class is scheduled for.  However, I know several past Student Body presidents and most of them knew that they would have to schedule their classes around these things.

The second part of your statement is dead on from the past Student Body presidents I've known as well.  

Not sure what the true motive is but seems like the current Student Body president wants to go out guns blazing.  Reading the tea leaves, I don't think the support he claims to have is there and he made some pretty bold statements while claiming to have supporting documents.  Seems like none of those supporting documents have been released despite comments being made that they would be made available.  Interesting considering the matter is being revisited tomorrow.

The amount of support from Rob Port and the lengths he has gone to defend the situation and the SB president also throw up a huge red flag to me.

• Upvote 2

A huge Rob Port p

The second part of your statement is dead on from the past Student Body presidents I've known as well.  

Not sure what the true motive is but seems like the current Student Body president wants to go out guns blazing.  Reading the tea leaves, I don't think the support he claims to have is there and he made some pretty bold statements while claiming to have supporting documents.  Seems like none of those supporting documents have been released despite comments being made that they would be made available.  Interesting considering the matter is being revisited tomorrow.

The amount of support from Rob Port and the lengths he has gone to defend the situation and the SB president also throw up a huge red flag to me.

A huge Port puppet.

• Upvote 1

Pushed back again to Wednesday to accommodate

another expected large crowd

Can you fill me in on the accusations the meeting earlier this week was held illegally?  Haven't had the time to look it up, but something about requiring a 24 notice and that wasn't done or something?

Do they really have the support from the students and staff the claim?  My understanding is that its a lot of grandstanding and starting to look like this one might be getting away from him, but curious if you're hearing similar.

I'm by no means suggesting that there aren't issues with UND and tuition (neither of which are exclusive issues to UND), but this seems like it was handled completely the wrong way and has a good chance of blowing up in the student governments face and in the process, bringing completely unnecessary bad press to everyone.

Can you fill me in on the accusations the meeting earlier this week was held illegally?  Haven't had the time to look it up, but something about requiring a 24 notice and that wasn't done or something?

Do they really have the support from the students and staff the claim?  My understanding is that its a lot of grandstanding and starting to look like this one might be getting away from him, but curious if you're hearing similar.

I'm by no means suggesting that there aren't issues with UND and tuition (neither of which are exclusive issues to UND), but this seems like it was handled completely the wrong way and has a good chance of blowing up in the student governments face and in the process, bringing completely unnecessary bad press to everyone.

From my understanding, Student Government need to give a 24 hour notice before having a meeting.  Something along those lines.  The email I got explaining the time change was from the UND administration listev, not student gov't. 

If you asked me if it would pass or not Wednesday, I say it will be a very close vote either way.  I heard of senators who will vote for it, against it and are gathering information to vote either way. Just looking at the comments on social media, it ranges from impeach Franklin to impreach Kelley to student elections are Greek life popularity contest, and everything in-between.  Do I believe he has the support he say... I say he does. However, if you poll the people who signed the petition, I bet 90% say because of the nickname (students).  While I haven't heard any grandstanding claims myself, I would be naïve to think that there isn't any going on.

People making this about tuition and transparency, but there are a few other instances that members of student gov't and Administration have clashed with this year with Social Host Ordinances  and how the search for the new dean of Aerospace is going. 

When this is all said and done what will really be accomplished here? Will this actually lead to real change?  To me both side have acted very poorly and this could have been solved a different way. I didn't care for Reesor and Kelley and the person from the SBoHE going very negative on the student gov't, they could have chosen to take the high road and be professional.   However, I fear that all it will lead is to a widening divide between Kelley and the student body.  I'd throw 5 bucks on a stunt being pulled on the day formerly know as Springfest or Graduation.

The bad PR needs to stop... seriously

A huge Rob Port p

A huge Port puppet.

Tanner Franklin is a self entitled !@#!$! who thinks because he "didn't have the time" to meet University officials on their schedule - NOW he can bitch about how "unresponsive" they are when he's on his way out as SB Prez...Don't know what his major is but GOOD LUCK finding a job when you graduate with a history of "I'll only BITCH if things are bad when I'm ON THE OUTS!"   Might want to hang onto that job at Eagles Crest dude!  Hopitality isn't the WORST job in the world...or is it?:-)

Tanner Franklin is a self entitled !@#!$! who thinks because he "didn't have the time" to meet University officials on their schedule - NOW he can bitch about how "unresponsive" they are when he's on his way out as SB Prez...Don't know what his major is but GOOD LUCK finding a job when you graduate with a history of "I'll only BITCH if things are bad when I'm ON THE OUTS!"   Might want to hang onto that job at Eagles Crest dude!  Hopitality isn't the WORST job in the world...or is it?:-)

I'd hire him in a heartbeat.  The guy has a backbone and he is principled enough to take a stand against the slimy, underhanded, 11th hour tactics and corruption of the administration.  If anything, this kid is an astute, wood-be politician because he has seen how corrupt the administration is and he has seen how unpopular they are throughout the whole state and he is taking advantage of that.  Good for him.  

• Upvote 2

I'd hire him in a heartbeat. The guy has a backbone and he is principled enough to take a stand against the slimy, underhanded, 11th hour tactics and corruption of the administration. If anything, this kid is an astute, wood-be politician because he has seen how corrupt the administration is and he has seen how unpopular they are throughout the whole state and he is taking advantage of that. Good for him.

My only question is it this really 11th hour or him not being responsible enough during the first 10 to understand the whole issue?

My only question is it this really 11th hour or him not being responsible enough during the first 10 to understand the whole issue?

I wonder about that a bit too.

I have never before seen a president of a university and other higher ups attack a students' character like they did at the last meeting though, to me it was absolutely disgusting how the administration handled it. I don't know how the vote will go, but this has been handled terribly from a PR standpoint for the university and I fault both sides for that. Communication has obviously been a huge failure for awhile now to get to this point.

I am not sure about the answer to your question, but I do know of other instances where Franklin missed various campus meetings only to follow up with emails accusing that the info covered in the meeting had been withheld from him.

My interpretation: the administration chose to "call out" student government as a whole because it was kinder than calling out just Franklin specifically.

By no means do I think the administration has zero fault in this, but there is a pattern of behavior displayed by Mr. Franklin witnessed by more than just Kelley, Reesor, and Brekke.