SiouxSports.com Forum

Lennon gone

homer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lennon captained the team in 1983. Assume he was 23 at that time. That means he's roughly a 1960 DOB. We're approaching 2010 and Dale's 50th birthday. And if he stayed he'd be staring the five-year DI transition probation in the face. But even in light of that ....

He should've talked to Dean Blais about "greener grass" and bought a red sports car instead. :glare:

I am willing to bet some serious money that there is some political garbage going on behind the scenes that Lennon wasn't willing to put up with. He turned down two other FCS jobs before this one. Our program is moving up to FCS with resources that are already as good or better than some FCS schools. His kids are still school-age. A couple of years ago, we upgraded his contract to keep him. If he had gotten a job at an FBS school (even if it was an assistant coaching position), I would understand this. But this doesn't add up.

Imagine Lennon with a program that not only can recruit Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and Missouri, but add his contacts in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa. He's competitive and wants championships, and that is impossible for four years at UND. With his age and with success at SUI, he still has potential for a BCS type job as a next stop. The limited resources at Sac State and the personnl/recruiting issues at Montana State were much higher risk positions.

The worst issue is the timing with recruiting; it would have been better for the program if he had left for Montana State.

Congratulations to Dale and his family, I will now become a Saluki Football fan for at least 5 years.....

UND needs to get it's act toghether, It has taken too long to make moves and decisions that effect individual people's lives. With no President, No Athletic Director, No firm time table for the Facilites Master Plan, and the yet Official we are going D1 announcement?, the on going never ending Sioux logo debate with NCAA ramifications, I respect Dale's decision to better himself with this oppurtunity professionally and his family personally.

Best of Luck Dale and thank you for all you have done for UND and Sioux Athletics....

.........it would have been better for the program if he had left for Montana State.

Yeah, but then Buning would have gotten to make the hire and we would have had to sit through a 20 page thread about how he was going about it all wrong by not using "place of birth" as the main criteria.

This whole thing stinks to high heaven. By all accounts, Lennon seemed happy about the direction the program was going in terms of facility upgrades, recruiting, fundraising, ect. Just a few weeks back on 740am, he was telling Dan Hammer about the schedule for the next two years and how excited he was about the future of the program. Now, all of a sudden, he's gone. :glare:

I am willing to bet some serious money that there is some political garbage going on behind the scenes that Lennon wasn't willing to put up with. He turned down two other FCS jobs before this one. Our program is moving up to FCS with resources that are already as good or better than some FCS schools. His kids are still school-age. A couple of years ago, we upgraded his contract to keep him. If he had gotten a job at an FBS school (even if it was an assistant coaching position), I would understand this. But this doesn't add up.

Who's next, Dave Hakstol? :lol:

My thoughts exactly. Maybe the "problem" wasn't just Buning maybe there is still some issues that none of us know about. Is it Harmenson or maybe Ralston? I don't think that Dale would leave unless there is something that isn't right behind the scenes. Is it me or does it seem like the ship is sinking? From the outside looking in it certainly appears that way.

Yeah, but then Buning would have gotten to make the hire and we would have had to sit through a 20 page thread about how he was going about it all wrong by not using "place of birth" as the main criteria.

With or without Buning, we'll likely still see that 20 page thread about "UND ties" being the top criteria.

Tank McNamara on KFGO just said that "Lennon is reported to have agreed to a 5 year, $200,000 contract, with incentives at SIU".

So, in effect, he doubles his previous salary.

My question is: where are all of the football backers that supposedly had the $$ to support a move to D-I? If it was about money with Dale, the boosters should have been able to take care of him, especially when considering you can't pay a D-I coach D-II money, regardless of his 2005 contract.

With or without Buning, we'll likely still see that 20 page thread about "UND ties" being the top criteria.

I understand what you're saying, but who's going to want it from the outside with the bosses and the bosses boss positions vacant.

My question is: where are all of the football backers that supposedly had the $$ to support a move to D-I? If it was about money with Dale, the boosters should have been able to take care of him, especially when considering you can't pay a D-I coach D-II money, regardless of his 2005 contract.

Nine years in one job, and the better part of 30 years with one program, is unheard of these days. I congratuate him, thank him for his service to UND, and wish him well in his future endeavors. UND cannot afford to slot this position at a $200,000 base at this time. I have a feeling this is not Dale's last career stop.

I understand what you're saying, but who's going to want it from the outside with the bosses and the bosses boss positions vacant.

I posted earlier that I think Mussman will be named as "interim", with the assumption that the new AD re-evaluates things after next season.

Nine years in one job, and the better part of 30 years with one program, is unheard of these days. I congratuate him, thank him for his service to UND, and wish him well in his future endeavors. UND cannot afford to slot this position at a $200,000 base at this time. I have a feeling this is not Dale's last career stop.

What he has given UND is remarkable, true, but to have had HIM in place through the transition would have been nice. Selfish? Probably.

There's probably never a good time for a head coach to leave, but I seriously can not think of a worse time for Lennon to leave the UND football program. The first year of a transition that he wanted, no athletic director to quickly hire a permanent replacement, a lame-duck President, an incomplete 2008 schedule, right in the middle of the recruiting season for the first DI class, and the probability of an interim tag being placed on the next coach. Thanks Dale. :glare:

This is the kind of thing that could cause a program into a tailspin. Transition is a delicate enough time without this kind of turmoil.

Coaches come and go and of course Dale has a right to leave to "better his family" or "for a new challenge" or whatever other cliches coaches give. But let's not pretend this is anything like when Roger Thomas or Dean Blais left. Given the timing and circumstances, this is a much bigger blow to the program than either of those departures.

No doubt that this is not his last stop. If Dale would have stayed at UND throughout the transition period then you would expect that he'd be a career Sioux. Now that he has moved on I expect him to continue his sucess and what a better place for exposure than in the heart of Big Ten country. It possible some day that we'll see Lennon and Bohl squaring off in a New Years Day bowl game.

I believe he was making just over $100,000 at UND, so his salary is nearly doubling. That's pretty substantial.

I thought he was making quite a bit more than 100K. If that's all he was pulling down I'll go back and sit in my corner. Sorry for the interruption.