SiouxSports.com Forum

Lennon gone

homer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read all about it.

Dale Lennon, who led UND to its only national football championship, will be named the head coach at Southern Illinois on Friday.

Sources confirmed Thursday afternoon that Lennon has accepted the job at Southern Illinois.

Southern Illinois is a Division I Football Championship Subdivision program. The Salukis are members of the Gateway Football Conference.

I'm speechless. I absolutely never expected Lennon to leave for another FCS job. I guess there was more to his flirtation with the Montana State job than just a strained relationship with Buning.

Now I'm not sure there's any realistic alternative but to promote Mussman. If not, we could be looking at having to hire an entirely new staff. :glare:

I'm speechless. I absolutely never expected Lennon to leave for another FCS job. I guess there was more to his flirtation with the Montana State job than just a strained relationship with Buning.

Wow - I certainly didn't expect that either. While this certainly isn't good for us, I am very happy for Dale. He is a great coach and will do well there (and probably beyond there!). Carbondale is a town of less than 30,000 people but the area supports SIU athletics very well. There are tons of kids to recruit within a couple of hundred miles (St. Louis, Nashville, etc.). It is probably a great place to raise a family!

Now, what do we do without an AD to expedite the process of naming a replacement???

I guess the conversations now begin regarding who will lead us going forward! I am sure it will be someone with UND ties but I am not sure it will be someone currently on the staff!

This just blows :glare: I liked Lennon alot. He got what he wanted in a D1 program and then leaves. What gives?

A lot more money and a team that will not be going through all of the challenges that UND will face in the next few years. You can't blame a guy for taking on a new challenge while taking better care of his family!

A lot more money and a team that will not be going through all of the challenges that UND will face in the next few years. You can't blame a guy for taking on a new challenge while taking better care of his family!

Do you think the money is that much different? Got me.

As for a new challenge... he just got it... when we moved from D2 to D1.

The one thing I can concure with is that he wont have to deal with the probationary period we have to deal with. I guess I can wish him luck, but the selfish part of me wanted him to stay. :ohmy:

Wow.

Just Wow.

Bummer. I didn't see that coming at all. What an inopportune time to be searching for a head football coach.

Although we would probably have been less surprised if he took the Montana St. job last year, SIU is a way better job. They were in the national semi-finals last season, are expecting to build a new stadium in the near future, and his predecessor at SIU Jerry Kill, was the highest paid coach in the FCS.

I expected that coach Lennon would move on some day, but with him turning down Sacramento St. and Montana St., and with the DI move, facility upgrades, and the removal of his superior, I was just not expecting it at this time. I wish Dale the best of luck, but I admit I'm a bit disappointed with his decision at this time. :glare:

I keep thinking about this and the WOW" factor anouncement he talked about a few weeks ago. I know they are unrelated but that was my reaction when I saw the headline. Actually I can't post my initial reaction but "WOW" sums it up I guess. Good luck Coach. Your leadership and coaching ability will truely be missed during this transition.

He's going to regret leaving UND just like Blais.

Dale has gone to a Very good FCS school, I wish he would have stayed at UND to Build a Program thru the Transition, but this may also open the door for an up and coming coach to shine!! Not to bring it up as smack, but Bohl has done well, and this same scenario could just as easy play out for you guys. Good Luck!!

I dont think that is something that will work. He is not going to want to go back in the "fire" at this point in his career, he would be more suited for AD than a head coach.

Man if he was to get the AD position that would put any chance of a game many want out of reach IMHO. He didn't do anything to help the relations between the two universities. I sure hope they get someone else who is better qualified and brings less baggage.

Man if he was to get the AD position that would put any chance of a game many want out of reach IMHO. He didn't do anything to help the relations between the two universities. I sure hope they get someone else who is better qualified and brings less baggage.

Not a chance that RT will be back as either AD or football coach and I doubt that he would be interested.

This whole thing stinks to high heaven. By all accounts, Lennon seemed happy about the direction the program was going in terms of facility upgrades, recruiting, fundraising, ect. Just a few weeks back on 740am, he was telling Dan Hammer about the schedule for the next two years and how excited he was about the future of the program. Now, all of a sudden, he's gone. :glare:

I am willing to bet some serious money that there is some political garbage going on behind the scenes that Lennon wasn't willing to put up with. He turned down two other FCS jobs before this one. Our program is moving up to FCS with resources that are already as good or better than some FCS schools. His kids are still school-age. A couple of years ago, we upgraded his contract to keep him. If he had gotten a job at an FBS school (even if it was an assistant coaching position), I would understand this. But this doesn't add up.

Who's next, Dave Hakstol? :lol: