SiouxSports.com Forum

Lennon gone

homer

If Dale would have stayed at UND throughout the transition period then you would expect that he'd be a career Sioux.

We have to accept that neither UND nor NDSU are destination programs any more, they are stepping stones. Success at these programs will attract attention from programs that the Sioux and Bison will have difficulty competing with to keep coaches. It's only a matter of time for Bohl, too. However, I'd argue that SIU isn't one of those programs, but given the pay and UND's transition, it's obvious the stakes are considerably higher than in the D-2 days.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News conference is on. Steve Brekke said UND will start with an internal search. A coach could be named as early as next Friday.

Nobody has applied for the job yet. If it's opened to external candidates, that could also happen at the end of next week.

Now Brekke says that somebody has sent him an application through his Blackberry. :glare:

Edited by PCM

I heard the following: Press conference at the Stone Alumni Center tomorrow at 1:00 with Lennon in attendance. There will be a community "thank you"/appreciation reception for Lennon at the REA Traditions area of the lobby later on tomorrow. I then heard Steve Brekke say "I was thinking about this..."

Then 740 The Fan lost their feed and apparently didn't feel the need to try to re-connect. :glare:

I thought he was making quite a bit more than 100K. If that's all he was pulling down I'll go back and sit in my corner. Sorry for the interruption.

The base salary is $100k, but there are bonuses for student GPA, graduation rates, NCC championships, playoff wins, NCAA championships, etc. He also benefits from summer camps and possibly the coaches show.

If Lennon did indeed sign for $200 k/ annually, he'd be one of the the highest paid coaches in IAA. NDSU's Bohl reportedly makes $147 K now. This Bisonzone reports that SIU's Coach Kill made only $96 K in 2003 (which was about average for IAA in 2005), with two raises to $165 k by 2006. The costs of IAA coaches seem to be escalating rapidly.

The base salary is $100k, but there are bonuses for student GPA, graduation rates, NCC championships, playoff wins, NCAA championships, etc. He also benefits from summer camps and possibly the coaches show.

If Lennon did indeed sign for $200 k/ annually, he'd be one of the the highest paid coaches in IAA. NDSU's Bohl reportedly makes $147 K now. This Bisonzone reports that SIU's Coach Kill made only $96 K in 2003 (which was about average for IAA in 2005), with two raises to $165 k by 2006. The costs of IAA coaches seem to be escalating rapidly.

Kill's last contract before leaving for NIU was for $175k/year plus incentives. I'd have to think the $200k for Lennon includes those incentives, but it's possible it doesn't. Either way, Lennon will sit atop the Gateway salary tree with Farley from UNI, at least for now. It will also put him in the top-five of all FCS coaches.

Here's the take on Lennon from the Saluki message board.

http://www.salukitalk.net/st/viewtopic.php...557&start=0

Well, time to reload. Too bad. I was hoping that Lennon would stay due to his roots. However, it IS a move up, no matter what spin you give it.

I say good luck to him. I'm sure he'll be a success there.

I'm also sure that UND will find a suitable replacement to take on D-II or Championship Subdivision or whatever the he// they want to call it!

:glare:

My initial bias is that it is irritating that coaches don't have much loyalty to an institution and the loyalty really is to the money, etc.

However, reality in this world says that coaching is just a job and a coach like anyone else in the job market, look to move up and make more money. Flat and simple, that is what Lennon did. SIU it a top notch FCS program. Lennon very likely will be coaching in the playoffs next year. He has escaped the 5 years of playoff purgatory that UND will have to live through, and he has got a significant pay raise. In the end, a move up, easier job and more cash. Who can blame him.

But, the emotional side of me says why would an alumnus and former player abandon his school in a time of great need. UND needs a solid coach to bring the Sioux through the transition and get the Sioux ready to make a playoff run as soon as they are eligible. It seems sh!tty to bail at this time.....

Rational thoughts vs. emotional thoughts. Bottom line is no matter what division a school is in, most coaches will be looking to move up.....even if they have strong emotional ties to the university. Not really what I like, but that is the reality of coaching today. Best of luck to Lennon at SIU, and as I Bison fan, I am looking forward to Bohl and Company kicking some Saluki a$$ in the Gateway next year!

My initial bias is that it is irritating that coaches don't have much loyalty to an institution and the loyalty really is to the money, etc.

However, reality in this world says that coaching is just a job and a coach like anyone else in the job market, look to move up and make more money. Flat and simple, that is what Lennon did. SIU it a top notch FCS program. Lennon very likely will be coaching in the playoffs next year. He has escaped the 5 years of playoff purgatory that UND will have to live through, and he has got a significant pay raise. In the end, a move up, easier job and more cash. Who can blame him.

But, the emotional side of me says why would an alumnus and former player abandon his school in a time of great need. UND needs a solid coach to bring the Sioux through the transition and get the Sioux ready to make a playoff run as soon as they are eligible. It seems sh!tty to bail at this time.....

Rational thoughts vs. emotional thoughts. Bottom line is no matter what division a school is in, most coaches will be looking to move up.....even if they have strong emotional ties to the university. Not really what I like, but that is the reality of coaching today. Best of luck to Lennon at SIU, and as I Bison fan, I am looking forward to Bohl and Company kicking some Saluki a$$ in the Gateway next year!

Good post. I think many Sioux fans, myself included, could make the same post, except for the bolded part. :glare:

Was this really the case? If so :lol:

That indeed was the case.

It kind of sheds a light on Dale's "Sioux Pride" and "Uncommon Sense" found on his Pyramid of success. One big rule he had was his players were supposed to come talk to him before they left the program or anything like that. Too bad he didn't hold himself to the same standard.

In the end, I understand that this is a move up for him. Anyone able to double their salary would be stupid not to take it. The problem I have is that he showed he is just a coach, and will say whatever he has to to win, but doesn't hold himself to the same standard. The players I have spoken with have voiced their displeasure on having to hear about Dale's leaving from the News or co-workers. In the end, Dale was just a coach, and nothing more.

BTW- From personal experience/talking to players, if Mussman is not given the job, then UND should look outward for a coach, as none of the other assistants are ready.

Dale was introduced at half time of the Saluki vs Butler basketball game....

http://www.southernillinoisan.com/articles...ge/22751792.txt

During halftime of the SIU men's basketball game, Lennon was brought out to halfcourt and received a standing ovation from the sold-out crowd at SIU Arena. He kept the crowd fired up by asking how it would respond to a touchdown, or to a Saluki victory.

But he saved the crowd's biggest cheer for last.

"Now, how much noise will be made after we win a national championship?" Lennon asked. After the cheering finally died down, he concluded with, "Then let's do that."

I'm sure the crowd went crazy with Dale's half time future prediction..... I think it will happen.

What does the loss of Coach Lennon do to your plans for the 25,000 seat football stadium with the retractable roof that I keep reading about? I assume a capital improvement like a stadium moves along irrespective of coaching changes. When is the ground breaking?