SiouxSports.com Forum

Lennon gone

homer

What does the loss of Coach Lennon do to your plans for the 25,000 seat football stadium with the retractable roof that I keep reading about? I assume a capital improvement like a stadium moves along irrespective of coaching changes.

Helps the fundraising efforts even more.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That indeed was the case.

It kind of sheds a light on Dale's "Sioux Pride" and "Uncommon Sense" found on his Pyramid of success. One big rule he had was his players were supposed to come talk to him before they left the program or anything like that. Too bad he didn't hold himself to the same standard.

In the end, I understand that this is a move up for him. Anyone able to double their salary would be stupid not to take it. The problem I have is that he showed he is just a coach, and will say whatever he has to to win, but doesn't hold himself to the same standard. The players I have spoken with have voiced their displeasure on having to hear about Dale's leaving from the News or co-workers. In the end, Dale was just a coach, and nothing more.

BTW- From personal experience/talking to players, if Mussman is not given the job, then UND should look outward for a coach, as none of the other assistants are ready.

lol, so he was supposed to get the permission of his players over Christmas break? All of them? Or he should talk to perhaps the administration at UND to give them an opportunity to respond/make a counteroffer? My guess is he did the latter, and UND had nothing to come back with besides a handshake and well-wishes...anyone know differently? I don't know anyone who talks to their subordinates before making a decision. Yikes. you're acting like he snuck out the back door to avoid confrontation.

Every single player moves on at the end of 4-5 years...this isn't a lifelong commitment. If they were all on campus and he didn't meet with them, I'd understand the weeping and gnashing of teeth, but really, what kind of whiner expects to be personally called for something like this? I didn't know football folks got so touchy...learn something new every day. Anyway boys...dry your tears, you'll find a new coach to blame for all your troubles soon.

It's interesting that another former NCC coach--Beau Baldwin from Central Washington--just took the head coaching job at Eastern Washington, which like SIU was a FCS playoff team this past year. However, he'll "only" be making $100k, which is half of what Lennon is getting at SIU, and less than what Lennon was making at UND in dII (at least in terms of base salary).

It's interesting that another former NCC coach--Beau Baldwin from Central Washington--just took the head coaching job at Eastern Washington, which like SIU was a FCS playoff team this past year. However, he'll "only" be making $100k, which is half of what Lennon is getting at SIU, and less than what Lennon was making at UND in dII (at least in terms of base salary).

Had EWU been able to pay more they would of hired former player and Fresno State Offensive Coordinator Jim McElwain who was the first choice. $100k will be a pay raise for Baldwin, but would have been a pay cut for McElwain. EWU has one of the smallest budget in the Big Sky.

I think this just goes to show that we need to bump our football coaches pay to at least the $150,000 range for the head guy and the $80,000 range for assistants. How can we expect to keep good people around if we pay them some of the worst salaries at our level? I know this would upset the supposed salary heirarchy at UND, but it needs to be done because apparently football coaches are in lot higher demand than hockey coaches nationwide and if we're serious about this move then we had better start paying our people what they are worth.

I think this just goes to show that we need to bump our football coaches pay to at least the $150,000 range for the head guy and the $80,000 range for assistants. How can we expect to keep good people around if we pay them some of the worst salaries at our level? I know this would upset the supposed salary heirarchy at UND, but it needs to be done because apparently football coaches are in lot higher demand than hockey coaches nationwide and if we're serious about this move then we had better start paying our people what they are worth.

I concur

For now, Mussman is probably really happy with a substantial (20-30k ?) raise. As we get further in the transition, (and assuming success) a 150k range would probably be very reasonable. It would be great if we can cherry-pick some of the higher rated assistant coaches from out-going NCC teams: now is the time.

IMHO, the key thing here is that Mussman was Lennon's clear choice and in some ways Mussman's performance will help determine Lennon's long-term legacy, much as RT's choice of Lennon cemented RT's legacy.

Lennon set to put his mark on SIU football

Lennon has his defensive staff in place, including Eric Schmidt, Tom Dosch, Kyle "Bubba" Schweigert and Travis Steppes. Steppes is the lone holdover from Jerry Kill's staff.

"I'd like to have them here very fast," Lennon said. "If I can have a full staff in place a week from Sunday, I'll be happy."

In the midst of all that, there are concerns about recruiting.

"It's something we can catch up with," Lennon said. "There are a lot of programs that don't enter their hard recruiting until January, just for the fact they wait until the big schools kind of go out and take what they want.

"I feel there is enough talent out there. We don't want to push the panic button.

"We want to make sure we get the high quality athletes we're looking for, and good people."

He said he has recruited Madison, Wis., and Chicago heavily in the past.

"There will be some northern flavor that could be part of the recruiting class, but for the most part it will be learning the new areas, getting into the St. Louis and Memphis areas," Lennon said.

Randy Hedberg has been named quarterback coach at SIU.

Good for Randy. I live in the St.Cloud area and have been going to games here for the past 13 years. I'm happy for him and glad he will work with Dale. SCSU doesn't realize what they are losing.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Lennon could have some difficulties if he ever hopes to leave SIU in the same manner as he left UND. Over on SalukiTalk, the SIU message board, their is a long discussion on how the SIU athletic department is suing Jerry Kill, their recently departed coach, for a $58,000 signing bonus they had paid him. Pretty bush league move on SIU's part since $58,000 isn't enough to make a lawsuit worthwhile as the attorneys' fees will exceed that much pretty quickly. Maybe it isn't such greener pastures after all.

Looks like Lennon could have some difficulties if he ever hopes to leave SIU in the same manner as he left UND. Over on SalukiTalk, the SIU message board, their is a long discussion on how the SIU athletic department is suing Jerry Kill, their recently departed coach, for a $58,000 signing bonus they had paid him. Pretty bush league move on SIU's part since $58,000 isn't enough to make a lawsuit worthwhile as the attorneys' fees will exceed that much pretty quickly. Maybe it isn't such greener pastures after all.

That will be interesting, I believe Coach Kill just donated 50,000 of his "Coach of the Year" award to the Local Cancer campagin in Carbondale, that seem fairly generous to me.....