Anyone like Barnstormers

nodakvindy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

North Dakota Barnstormers?

Let's see, stereotype ND as nothing but barns and UND as only an Aero school?

Don't believe it does either. Do you think Cornhuskers as a name is a negative for Nebraska? How about Sooners for Oklahoma, or Longhorns for Texas? It's a team nickname, and one that has some relevance to both the history of this area and a major academic program.

Barnstormers would have been a decent name as a replacement for the Flickertails in the 30's. But now its seems like a dated name.

Although Des Moines' arena football team uses the name:

150px-Iowb.gif

If Nebraska originally had the nickname Arapaho or Comanche and had to change it now, doubt they would choose Cornhusker.

In a little nod to the Scandanavian ancestry we could work off of Thor.

University of North Dakota Thunder Gods

A nice Norseman type logo for the jerseys, and crossed war hammers on the shoulders.

Sure, it's a little bit of a takeoff from our old jerseys, but what's wrong with borrowing what worked so well?

ico_thor.jpg

Here's a brief reminder of the name changes made at other schools affected by the NCAA hostile/abusive policy:

Carthage College: from Redmen to Red Men

Chowan College: from Braves to Hawks

Indiana U of Pa.: from Indians to Crimson Hawks

U of Louisiana at Monroe: from Indians to Warhawks

Midwestern State: from Indians to Mustangs

Southeastern Oklahoma State: from Savages to Savage Storm

Northeastern State: from Redmen to Riverhawks

As near as I can determine their current statuses: Bradley University and Alcorn State Braves are both still the Braves, Newberry College still the Indians, William and Mary is still The Tribe, and McMurry University (f.k.a. Indians) continues to operate with no nickname as it announced it would do last year.

With NCAA approval:

Illinois: still Fighting Illini

With tribal approval:

Catawba College: from Indians to Catawba Indians

Central Michigan: still Chippewas

Florida State: still Seminoles

Mississippi Collge: still Choctaws

Utah: still Utes

Personally, I kind of like "Warriors".

Yeah, I know that Winona State is the Warriors, but soon they will be in a different division, anyway. :D

As I recall, and the video at sporting events reminds me, UND adopted the name to honor the Sioux warriors, so why not continue to honor those warriors without creating association to the Sioux tribal members that were on campus and railing on TV the other night?

I would think that a graphic could be created (like a shield or something) that can't be directly linked to Native Americans, but can still honor the spirit that UND chose to associate with its athletic teams.

Just a thought... :ohmy:

Personally, I kind of like "Warriors".

Yeah, I know that Winona State is the Warriors, but soon they will be in a different division, anyway. :D

As I recall, and the video at sporting events reminds me, UND adopted the name to honor the Sioux warriors, so why not continue to honor those warriors without creating association to the Sioux tribal members that were on campus and railing on TV the other night?

I would think that a graphic could be created (like a shield or something) that can't be directly linked to Native Americans, but can still honor the spirit that UND chose to associate with its athletic teams.

Just a thought... :ohmy:

Good luck with that. The PC movement is so strong that I even hear some people complain about why the Golden State Warriors can continue using the name "Warriors" because of its negative connotation. Yea, this is offensive...maybe to Captain America and Spider Man! :D

golden_state_warriors_logo.jpg

The PC movement is so strong that I even hear some people complain about why the Golden State Warriors can continue using the name "Warriors" because of its negative connotation.

Remember why the "Bullets" were changed to the "Wizards"?

This would help to cut down on crime in Washington, DC.

:ohmy:

(And yes, you're free to consider the word "crime" as either violent street crime or the white-collar crime rampant in government.)

Here's a brief reminder of the name changes made at other schools affected by the NCAA hostile/abusive policy:

Did you cover the Pembroke Indians? I think it was an NCAA decision basically to back off, although the local tribe made their position quite clear.

Bradley and William & Mary both eliminated imagery such as feathers. And AFAIK, Bradley is still on some sort of Animal House-style "double secret" NCAA probation. :ohmy: However, unoffically they also raised the possibility of changing to the Bradley Brave. I liked that gambit.

And with all of the Redmen/Red Men schools listed, one other team came to mind: The "Red Storm" of St John's University in NYC. They voluntarily changed from Redmen before the NCAA edict came down.

I too would like something original, unique, and ties in to North Dakota's heritage but if we can't come up with anything that the majority likes, what about going with some sort of animal mascot? I realize names like Tigers, Huskies, etc. are used a lot but what about Terriers? (I know Boston U. are the Terriers but we could have a different Terrier dog as our mascot). I personally like this particular Terrier mascot that the Portage Terriers use:

http://www.portageterriers.com/_mgxroot/page_10819.html

I'm just throwing out possible alternatives here so please, don't bash me too much if you don't like Terriers. I'm simply trying to brainstorm various ideas for discussion.