SiouxSports.com Forum

Anyone like Barnstormers

nodakvindy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too would like something original, unique, and ties in to North Dakota's heritage but if we can't come up with anything that the majority likes, what about going with some sort of animal mascot? I realize names like Tigers, Huskies, etc. are used a lot but what about Terriers? (I know Boston U. are the Terriers but we could have a different Terrier dog as our mascot). I personally like this particular Terrier mascot that the Portage Terriers use:

http://www.portageterriers.com/_mgxroot/page_10819.html

I'm just throwing out possible alternatives here so please, don't bash me too much if you don't like Terriers. I'm simply trying to brainstorm various ideas for discussion.

The ducks, or mallards, the logo being a tipped up group of dux mooning the NCAA.

duckmoon.jpg

I too would like something original, unique, and ties in to North Dakota's heritage but if we can't come up with anything that the majority likes, what about going with some sort of animal mascot?

Here you go: The University of North Dakota Nokotas.

Remember why the "Bullets" were changed to the "Wizards"?

This would help to cut down on crime in Washington, DC.

I remember a bit where the comedian said:

"The Washington Bullets" are changing their name to try to shed the association with crime. From now on they will just be known as "The Bullets".

You're on a decent track...It's growing on me a little, not gonna lie. Still not sold yet...tell me more. :ohmy:

You asked for it. Here's the e-mail I sent to Virg Foss:

Virg,

I proposed "Raging Reds" as a tongue-in-cheek nickname idea, but this idea I'm totally serious about. What do you think of the University of North Dakota Wild Nokotas? Other possibilities are the "Fighting Nokotas," "Bucking Nokotas" or whatever adjective might be appropriate for a horse.

Why Nokota? For one, it's is North Dakota's official honorary equine. Here's a Web site that explains the origin and history of the Nokota breed:

http://www.nokotahorse.org/history.php#

As you can see, Nokota horses have been a part of North Dakota's history long before the territory ever became a state. Although they were ridden by various American Indian tribes (including Sitting Bull himself), they are descended from horses brought to the New World by Europeans. They have also been bred with Canadian horses, which makes them a wonderful symbol for the hockey team.

The Nokota name is a combination of "North" and "Dakota." It's not an Indian word and relates directly to the state's and university's names. How could the NCAA possibly object? And it's just a coincidence that these horses were used by the Sioux to hunt bison. ;-)

The Nokota horse also offers excellent logo possibilities. I'll bet Bennett Brien could come up with something very original and striking. Plus, Nokota logos wouldn't look out of place beside the Fighting Sioux logos that will remain in the Ralph.

If we want a unique name and a logo that are representative of North Dakota's culture and history, I can't think of a better symbol than the wild and ruggedly independent Nokota horse that has survived the harsh climate for centuries.

Finally, think about the implied symbolism: Only wild North Dakota horses could drag us to change our nickname. Besides that, UND could be "The Horse of the North." ;-)

Pat

Personally, I kind of like "Warriors".

Yeah, I know that Winona State is the Warriors, but soon they will be in a different division, anyway. :D

As I recall, and the video at sporting events reminds me, UND adopted the name to honor the Sioux warriors, so why not continue to honor those warriors without creating association to the Sioux tribal members that were on campus and railing on TV the other night?

I would think that a graphic could be created (like a shield or something) that can't be directly linked to Native Americans, but can still honor the spirit that UND chose to associate with its athletic teams.

Just a thought... :ohmy:

Heck we have the Warriors of the North from the Air Force Base, makes sense. We could be the UND AIR FORCE. FORCE OF THE NORTH.

There are all kinds of possibilities.

Heck we have the Warriors of the North from the Air Force Base, makes sense. We could be the UND AIR FORCE. FORCE OF THE NORTH.

There are all kinds of possibilities.

Yes, I love how that rolls off the tongue! Here come your University of North Dakota Air Force of the North! :ohmy:

How about the University of North Dakota Naval Force of the Red River? The UND Green Army of the Plains?

Anything with "thunder" doesn't work because of that drooling herd in Fargo. :ohmy:

You're probably right, but I still think Thunder Gods is a cool name.

That reminds me. When I moved to the Cities in the late 1980's there was a cover band named after a Deep Purple song. One of the best bands I ever heard. The "Speed Kings". Always thought that was a cool name too.

You're probably right, but I still think Thunder Gods is a cool name.

That reminds me. When I moved to the Cities in the late 1980's there was a cover band named after a Deep Purple song. One of the best bands I ever heard. The "Speed Kings". Always thought that was a cool name too.

There is a school on the UP that is the home of the SpeedBoys and the SpeedGirls.

All this mascot and logo talk reminds me a conversation with my best friend during a visit to his hometown several years ago:

"So...what was your high school nickname?"

"Hematites."

"What is that? Some sort of Amish community in Ishpeming?"

"No, it's a rock."

"You guys are named after ROCKS? Why not be the 'Miners' at least?"

"That's Negaunee. One town over."

There is a school on the UP that is the home of the SpeedBoys and the SpeedGirls.

All this mascot and logo talk reminds me a conversation with my best friend during a visit to his hometown several years ago:

"So...what was your high school nickname?"

"Hematites."

"What is that? Some sort of Amish community in Ishpeming?"

"No, it's a rock."

"You guys are named after ROCKS? Why not be the 'Miners' at least?"

"That's Negaunee. One town over."

They could always be named "the Blossoms" like one of the area teams around here. Stupid.

Chief Illiniwek asked about how the NCAA handled the Univ. of North Carolina-Pembroke.

In the August 2005 press release announcing the policy, the UNC-Pembroke Braves were listed as one of "fourteen schools [that] have removed all references to Native American culture or were deemed not to have references to Native American culture as part of their athletics programs." The additional explanation regarding Pembroke was different: "everal members of the Native American community are active members of their board of trustees. Although there are no historically Native American/American Indian colleges or universities (similar to Historically Black Colleges and Universities), there is substantial evidence that UNC-Pembroke was founded as a school for Native Americans (founded as the Croatan Normal School to educate Native American teachers) and has been a part of the Native American community for 118 years.... The MOIC [Minority Opportunities & Interests Committe] noted that UNC - Pembroke has a total enrollment of 5,027, which is 21% Native American and 24% African-American. Based on their foundation, history, and continuous union with the Native American community not only as students but also as member of the board of trustees, the MOIC determined that UNC - Pembroke's use of 'Braves' was appropriate. No other institution was able to demonstrate that their use of Native American mascots, nicknames or imagery was a direct result of the self-determination of Native Americans attending and associated with their institutions."

The other 13 joining Pembroke on the first list of passes were: California State-Stanislaus University(Warriors); Lycoming College(Warriors); Winona State University(Warriors); Hawaii-Manoa University(Warriors); Eastern Connecticut State University(Warriors); East Stroudsburg University(Warriors); Husson College(Braves); Merrimack College(Warriors); Southeast Missouri State University(Red Hawks); State University of West Georgia(Wolves); Stonehill College(Skyhawks); San Diego State University(Aztecs); Wisconsin Lutheran College(Warriors).

Wild Nokotas? Fighiting Nokotas? Bucking Nokotas?

Consider the implied symbolism: Only wild North Dakota horses could drag us to change our nickname. :D

I'm officially on baord with Nokotas. Uniquely North Dakotan, a unique name to UND, not an intangible notion like the force or freeze (one of the worst trends in sports of the past two decades) and fits well within the current color scheme.

I think Barnstormers would be a great replacement name. In addition to the potential for a cool logo it also plays into UND's marquee academic program. It also relates somewhat to our rural nature and I do not believe any other college team has it for a nickname.

NO. The name brings on memories of forced watching of old western musicals where the cowboys and ladies are dancing around a farm yard and singing while a barn is suppose to be built.

*shudder*

I'm not. The North Dakota Nokotas. The Minnesota Hinnesotas. The Wisconsin Disconsons. The Detroit Netroits. Horse or imaginery, rhyming is silly.

It would be the Wild Nokotas, Fighting Nokotas or some other appropriate adjective. The intention wasn't to create a rhyming name.

I think over time, the nickname would be naturally shortened to "Nokes," just as the Maryland Terrapins are the "Terps," the South Dakota State Jackrabbits are the "Jacks," the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks are the "Mavs" and the South Dakota Coyotes are the "Yotes." There are probably many other examples people could cite.

The Nokota horse breed is known for its intellegence, speed, endurance, strength and ability to survive harsh conditions. It is unique to North Dakota, which is why it's the official state horse. I can't think of a better symbol for UND's athletic teams.

It would be the Wild Nokotas, Fighting Nokotas or some other appropriate adjective. The intention wasn't to create a rhyming name.

I think over time, the nickname would be naturally shortened to "Nokes," just as the Maryland Terrapins are the "Terps," the South Dakota State Jackrabbits are the "Jacks," the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks are the "Mavs" and the South Dakota Coyotes are the "Yotes." There are probably many other examples people could cite.

The Nokota horse breed is known for its intellegence, speed, endurance, strength and ability to survive harsh conditions. It is unique to North Dakota, which is why it's the official state horse. I can't think of a better symbol for UND's athletic teams.

I had not heard of a Nokota since you brought it up - thanks for the info. That being said, I personally hate it...but for every name I may like, you could very well hate. This will get ugly before it gets better and that is why I think we need to have just Dakota for a period of time to put some rationale into a good name that the majority supports. If the majority happens to like the name "Nokota" then I will have to accept that and support that name. I wish others could just support a name without reading more into it than there is but that just is not going to happen with current representation at the tribal level.

Call me naive but I really thought that when the settlement was announced and that we needed to get tribal approval, that there had already been a deal in the works with the tribes for approval and it would be a matter of finalizing the details as oppossed to starting at square one.