SiouxSports.com Forum

Anyone like Barnstormers

nodakvindy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please no animals. Go with "Fighting Nordics" or something like that. While I like the "Dakotans" or "Fighting Dakotans," the word "Dakota" means friend or ally doesn't it? Thus, the "Fighting Friends":D?? "The Fighting Allies";)??

I wouldn't mind Nordics or something to that effect, but you know the opponent's fans will take out the "R" in their chants towards our teams. I'm not sure any name would be free from that kind of scrutiny, much like they call us "Sue" now, but if they want to keep the gutter stuff away, I'm not sure this would be the best. Nordiques would be better for that reason.

Careful with "Norse" and derivatives: If the NCAA actually chose to enforce the policy as written (race-based monikers) and they eliminate the "tribal approval" exemption you're right back where you started.

Personally, I don't care. There would be a lot more Scandahoovians who would be speaking out in support of the nickname than there ever were Native Americans. I think that's one we can win.

I hate the idea of ducking for cover every time we fear which way the NCAA will fart next.