SiouxSports.com Forum

Anyone like Barnstormers

nodakvindy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be the Wild Nokotas, Fighting Nokotas or some other appropriate adjective. The intention wasn't to create a rhyming name.

I think over time, the nickname would be naturally shortened to "Nokes," just as the Maryland Terrapins are the "Terps," the South Dakota State Jackrabbits are the "Jacks," the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks are the "Mavs" and the South Dakota Coyotes are the "Yotes." There are probably many other examples people could cite.

The Nokota horse breed is known for its intellegence, speed, endurance, strength and ability to survive harsh conditions. It is unique to North Dakota, which is why it's the official state horse. I can't think of a better symbol for UND's athletic teams.

I give you credit for the suggestion, PCM, and think it's admirable that people are already thinking of ideas.

I'm still cringing at the thought of Heat, Wild, Storm, Surge, Shock, Magic, Lightning, Thunder, and other absurd nicknames of fluff that are going to be tossed into the fray for sure.

How does the color scheme of white, black, and green remain though?

How does the color scheme of white, black, and green remain though?

I don't see why UND couldn't retain its traditional colors. Some Nokota horses are all black or predominantly white. My son is already envisioning a black horse head with green lasers coming out of its eyes. :ohmy:

I don't see why UND couldn't retain its traditional colors. Some Nokota horses are all black or predominantly white. My son is already envisioning a black horse head with green lasers coming out of its eyes. :ohmy:

horselogo.jpg

(logo designed by 'alltherage' from www.calgarypuck.com)

Please no animals. Go with "Fighting Nordics" or something like that. While I like the "Dakotans" or "Fighting Dakotans," the word "Dakota" means friend or ally doesn't it? Thus, the "Fighting Friends":ohmy:?? "The Fighting Allies":D??

I agree, I'm not feelin an animal really. I'm feeling something people-related I guess you could say...something military. But..not Roughriders or Cavalry.

Please no animals. Go with "Fighting Nordics" or something like that. While I like the "Dakotans" or "Fighting Dakotans," the word "Dakota" means friend or ally doesn't it? Thus, the "Fighting Friends":ohmy:?? "The Fighting Allies":D??

We can't use Dakota, there is a Sioux tribe called Dakota (or is it Dacotah?).

I think we should change it to the Fighting Nokotas.

Then we can dress someone up in a native costume, riding a Nokota, and lead the football team out onto the field, where they would throw a flaming spear on to the 50 yard line. :ohmy:

That would be hostile and abusive. :D

But we could have someone dressed as a cowboy wearing a black Steston ride around the football field on a Nokota horse carrying a UND banner. We already have they guy with the black Stetson and the flag as a tradition. Dress him up a bit, put him on a horse and we're set. :D

We can't use Dakota, there is a Sioux tribe called Dakota (or is it Dacotah?).

Yes, but all the people in the state are "Dakota" or "Dakotans." By "Fighting Dakota" or "Fighting Dakotans," the reference would not necessarily be to the Dakota Sioux Tribe. The reference would be to the inhabitants of North Dakota. A bit Paul Bunyan-type white guy with a scythe could be the logo. I bet Brien could do a nice job with it.

I think we should change it to the Fighting Nokotas.

Then we can dress someone up in a native costume, riding a Nokota, and lead the football team out onto the field, where they would throw a flaming spear on to the 50 yard line. :ohmy:

why would they be dressed up as a native? the Nokotas aren't a native american horse. They are horses that were bred from native american horses with european horses. interestingly enough, I was having a conversation about this name yesterday and it wasn't lost to us that they did ride them to hunt the bison.

Here you go: The University of North Dakota Nokotas.

Trying it on....

Fits comfortably....

I like the sound of the name, the overall uniqueness as a nickname, and the specific uniqueness to North Dakota. I'm not yet sold on a Horse logo though. I'll wear it for a while and see how it grows on me. It's in my top two so far, along with Nordics. :ohmy:

why would they be dressed up as a native? the Nokotas aren't a native american horse. They are horses that were bred from native american horses with european horses. interestingly enough, I was having a conversation about this name yesterday and it wasn't lost to us that they did ride them to hunt the bison.

Wait a second! White people mixed Native American horses and European horses and then used those very horses to hunt Bison? I smell a 'hostile and abusive' situation here. We'd better just go with the UND Daisies or the UND Maple Syrup Jars so that way we don't offend anyone. Well, unless you are the parent of a child who was maimed when his grandmother dropped a jar of maple syrup on his head or if you yourself had an allergic reaction to daisies that almost killed you...then I could see where you'd be personally offended. Oh boy...this nickname thing is going to be tougher than I originally thought.

I love the fact, too, that the Kuntz brothers came up with the name "Nokota" on their own and have been calling horses that since the 1990's.

That would be hostile and abusive. :D

But we could have someone dressed as a cowboy wearing a black Steston ride around the football field on a Nokota horse carrying a UND banner. We already have they guy with the black Stetson and the flag as a tradition. Dress him up a bit, put him on a horse and we're set. :D

Mr. Siouxmama can do that!

Already has the hat. Already has the horse. And can rope anything or anyone on demand!