SiouxSports.com Forum

A nickname idea...

Big A HG

Why do we need a nickname? If we lost this battle, which looks likely, why can't we just be "The University of North Dakota?" Why do we need to have some cheesy alternate attachment?

I'm not sure what others think about this, but I've been in multiple discussions about it and we all think it's the best idea.

What do you think?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do we need a nickname? If we lost this battle, which looks likely, why can't we just be "The University of North Dakota?" Why do we need to have some cheesy alternate attachment?

I'm not sure what others think about this, but I've been in multiple discussions about it and we all think it's the best idea.

What do you think?

I also think that no nickname would be the best fit. I think it would be very cool and I also have heard from many (including alumni) that would be the way to go. Who would want some stupid alternate? Plus having no nickname cannot offend anyone and well never be in this situation again. It's a win/win situation in my opinion.

One thing I forgot to mention was that this would put the most focus and pride on just being from North Dakota. You don't refer to yourself as anything else but being from ND/UND. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's cool to see a few others in agreement.

Also, we wouldn't make Ralph mad, because wasn't he going to be upset if we "changed" it...not just dropped it? (referring to Sioux name) :lol:

What do you think?

I'm not sure what I think of this idea yet...I know we wouldn't be the first school to do this according to this website http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/#None. Not sure how many of those schools have athletics though.

I also think that no nickname would be the best fit. I think it would be very cool and I also have heard from many (including alumni) that would be the way to go. Who would want some stupid alternate? Plus having no nickname cannot offend anyone and well never be in this situation again. It's a win/win situation in my opinion.

I am an alum and former Sioux athlete and I agree...IF we have to drop the name then just go with UND or North Dakota. Still will be wearing my Sioux gear however to everything forever regardless!

Folks: REALITY CHECK.

From Section 2.d (page 5) of the SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT ....

... UND will announce that its Athletic Department
will transition to a new nickname and logo
which do not violate the Policy or render UND subject to the Policy, if (i) it is unable to secure namesake approval as set forth in this Agreement ...

There is no "no nickname" or "no logo" option. Give that up.

One thing I forgot to mention was that this would put the most focus and pride on just being from North Dakota. You don't refer to yourself as anything else but being from ND/UND. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's cool to see a few others in agreement.

If you have to have a nickname, what's wrong with the "University of North Dakota Natives"?

Just use the interlocking "ND" you have now for your logo.

(Yep, that would make some people mad. But anyone who was born in North Dakota is a native, aren't they?)

I think it's questionable, at best, given the wording of the settlement agreement that not having a nickname is even an option. For the life of me, I can't figure out why UND agreed to adopt a new nickname as opposed to simply dropping its existing nickname. I don't recall the NCAA ever demanding a new nickname to get off their list, yet we apparently agreed to it.

If through subsequent clarification, going with no nickname is acceptable to the NCAA, then here is my take:

In my opinion, the best nicknames in college athletics are the ones that:

1) Develop over time

2) Are strongly connected to the State in which the University sits (essential for State Flagships like UND), and

3) Are unique - not shared with any other college or pro team

The worst thing UND could do is immediately create some committee to come up with six flavor-of-the-month nicknames and have the student body vote for one of them. I do not think an acceptable nickname will come from that process.

It's probably unrealistic to think UND would forever go without a nickname. However, I'd like to see UND go without a nickname for a few years, let the dust settle, let multiple informal nicknames get kicked around and "tried on" by the masses. If one of them sticks and informally rises to the top, then there should be talk about formally adopting it. I just hate the idea of a contrived nickname.

I think it's questionable, at best, given the wording of the settlement agreement that not having a nickname is even an option. For the life of me, I can't figure out why UND agreed to adopt a new nickname as opposed to simply dropping its existing nickname. I don't recall the NCAA ever demanding a new nickname to get off their list, yet we apparently agreed to it.

If through subsequent clarification, going with no nickname is acceptable to the NCAA, then here is my take:

In my opinion, the best nicknames in college athletics are the ones that:

1) Develop over time

2) Are strongly connected to the State in which the University sits (essential for State Flagships like UND), and

3) Are unique - not shared with any other college or pro team

The worst thing UND could do is immediately create some committee to come up with six flavor-of-the-month nicknames and have the student body vote for one of them. I do not think an acceptable nickname will come from that process.

It's probably unrealistic to think UND would forever go without a nickname. However, I'd like to see UND go without a nickname for a few years, let the dust settle, let multiple informal nicknames get kicked around and "tried on" by the masses. If one of them sticks and informally rises to the top, then there should be talk about formally adopting it. I just hate the idea of a contrived nickname.

I completely agree. This would definitely be the way to go.

Who knows, we might have other groups begging us to choose their name once we officially drop the Fighting Sioux nickname.

So their new nickname is the .............................. and their new logo is the interlocked ND.

I'm sorry but if the NCAA says UND can't just drop the nickname and not immediately choose a new one, they can go **** themselves. That would be the last straw. Who the hell do they think they are? Not only telling a member school that they can't have such and such for a nickname, but that they also can not go sans nickname? They would have won their pointless little pissing match, if they kept pushing I'd personally punch Myles Brand in his uterus.

I wonder if the statement "will transition to a new nickname and logo" is a general statement meaning that we will get rid of the current nickname and logo. UND will not be subject to the policy if we have no nickname or logo. It will be pathetic if the NCAA is able to further dictate UND's future even after we get rid of the Sioux logo and name.

Some have suggested the interlocking ND but that would be lame because Notre Dame has had that as long as I can remember. When anyone in the Chicago area sees my ND hat they ask if I am watching the Notre Dame game or ask if I went to Notre Dame. We need something more original.

It would be nice to get some clarification from someone more involved in the settlement regarding the transition portion of the settlement. PCM, get on that! :-)

I don't agree with this. I am no legal expert but I don't believe "new nickname and logo" automatically means you can't go without. I think it just means that whatever new choice UND makes after deciding to drop the Fighting Sioux nickname would not violate the NCAA policy.

Would Dakota or Dacotah violate "the Policy"? It would be similar to Illinois maintaining the Illini. The interlocking ND as the logo.

Edit: The more I think about it, the NCAA wouldn't go for it.

Would Dakota or Dacotah violate "the Policy"? It would be similar to Illinois maintaining the Illini.
Its JMHO, but I think that "Dakotans" would be the solution that the NCAA wouldn't be able to touch. I don't know where the word "Dacotah" comes from-is that from the French? Or some other Euro settlers who translated an Indian word?

The reason we maintained the word "Illini" is because we were using it long before we adopted Chief Illiniwek or any other imagery associated with the Indians. For that matter, we were using it before the NCAA was organized, or before any sport was played on campus. It was merely a word derived from the name of our state. Illini was associated with all students at Illinois. I think our sports teams had a few other names before we got this one.

(And yes, the state was named by the French who misunderstood a word from the Indians.... but the NCAA chose not to go there.)