Big A HG

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no nickname
Is Normal administrative action - a cooling off period

I want to be proactive & not let all this linger & keep arguing over it

Maybe the Student Senate needs to step up & have elections on it (from Alumni & current Students) to drop it now or wait & the same group come up with a new name

If it is too crappy of a name then the community can go ballistic & we can get the State Board & Attorney General involved to settle it :lol:...................... :angry:forkers-yellowmatte.gif

Whatever the new nickname and logo, I hope that someone will still sell retro Sioux items. If it would cause problems for the University to sell it, then I hope Bennett Brien sells it as his artwork. The NCAA can't control an artist selling his work, whether it's on clothes or not.

If it comes to changing the nickname and logo, I just pray we do not go with some stupid WNBA-type name (i.e., The Storm, The Rage, The Sky, etc.). Ideally, I too would like something that is somewhat unique and represents North Dakota, whatever that may be. However, I would like something that is aggressive (not Flickertails!) too.

Again, I think we should retire the current nickname on our terms-I do not support cutting some financial deal where we have to bribe the tribes with money in order to keep it. Who's to say the won't re-neg and blackmail us for a larger cut in the future?

"Dakotah" is from the languages of the Oceti Sakowin (D/L/Nakota peoples); whereas, "Sioux" derives from French.

Now you're really confused I bet. :D

First, a personal "thank you". Plenty of people here wouldn't have bothered with the word "now" in that last sentance. :lol:

I think you'd have a far harder time with the word "Dakotah" in that case. It doesn't seem to be used in everyday conversation, and comes from the Indians. I'd say the NCAA would judge that the Indians "own" that word, and you need a continuing vote of approval from them.

Given that "Sioux" has been banned, you've already lost that battle.

If it comes to changing the nickname and logo, I just pray we do not go with some stupid WNBA-type name (i.e., The Storm, The Rage, The Sky, etc.).

Hey, lets not forget the important roles played by the USFL and WFL in starting the ridiculous "collective" nicknames!! :silly:

Would Dakota or Dacotah violate "the Policy"? It would be similar to Illinois maintaining the Illini. The interlocking ND as the logo.

Edit: The more I think about it, the NCAA wouldn't go for it.

I'm back to the no nickname camp. Put "Dakota" on the jerseys, as I previously suggested and the logo can be the interlocking ND.

I agree with Dagies. I'm no legal expert either, but it would seem to me using _______ would be okay. They sure couldn't find it hostile or abusive. :silly:

There is no way the NCAA goes along with no nickname. This makes if far to easy to revert back informally to the Sioux name, which is what the "no name" crowd wants. It's not going to happen. I know enough about legal interpretation to know we can't go there.

I also agree that the name has to be something that is representative of the area and our history. Storms, Rage, Blizzard, etc, isn't going to do it. Cavalry is nothing more then an attempt to poke a stick in the eye of the Native American's and the NCAA.

Nicknames don't need to be intimidating. Look at the Gophers and the Jackrabbits. Lack of an aggressive logo isn't causing them problems, no matter how poorly they play.

There is no way the NCAA goes along with no nickname. This makes if far to easy to revert back informally to the Sioux name, which is what the "no name" crowd wants. It's not going to happen. I know enough about legal interpretation to know we can't go there.

I also agree that the name has to be something that is representative of the area and our history. Storms, Rage, Blizzard, etc, isn't going to do it. Cavalry is nothing more then an attempt to poke a stick in the eye of the Native American's and the NCAA.

Nicknames don't need to be intimidating. Look at the Gophers and the Jackrabbits. Lack of an aggressive logo isn't causing them problems, no matter how poorly they play.

Sugarbeet Root Maggots and Box Elder Bugs are still available.

But such non-agressive logos DO seem to repel Native Americans because neither of those universities has as many American Indian students as UND. :silly:

North Dakota has a rich heritage that includes the influences of our Indian population from the beginning of their existence to the mix of pioneers and settlers that came later. I think we can respectfully add to the mix the pioneers and settlers who battled great hardship in the early years on the plains and had to fight the elements just to exist. Let's add a pioneer and a settler to our existing Indian mascot and create a mixture of mascots that truly represents our heritage. All of our ancestors fought the elements to tame this land. We are all Dakotans (Indians, settlers and pioneers) and we can call ourselves the "Fighting Dakotans".

I really don't think there's a policy stating that NCAA teams must have a nickname. Dropping our current nickname is what they want. If we do that, I seriously doubt that they would force us to come up with another name. They would be happy to merely be rid of the name that they hate so much. Or... we could be the Seminoles. That name has already been given a free pass, right? :D

Hey Dave K. You're right on the money with that one & for once we're in 100% agreement here.

SIOUX FAN (HOCKEY) SINCE 1973

I really don't think there's a policy stating that NCAA teams must have a nickname. Dropping our current nickname is what they want. If we do that, I seriously doubt that they would force us to come up with another name. They would be happy to merely be rid of the name that they hate so much. Or... we could be the Seminoles. That name has already been given a free pass, right? ???

There is no policy that says that, but the question is whether the settlement agreement requires it.

I still like my idea how about the University of North Dakota call themselves the Fighting Soo (Railroad) and use a locomotive as a logo? I don't think we would offend the Soo Railroad?

When I was young, our family traveled to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. I believe "Sault" translates (from the French, so no worries there) to "the rapids" as in a whitewater area. And it is pronounced "Sue".

How about the UND "Rapids"?

If we have to change, I think we should use an Evergreen Tree as our new logo, and our new nickname should be The Cardinal, singular.
I think you'd need to change the name of Grand Forks to Palo Alto if you want to do that.... ???