SiouxSports.com Forum

A nickname idea...

Big A HG

Could we be "Force of the North" and keep the same logo or is that against NCAA guidelines?

I am willing to bet money that UND's plan is to change the name to "Force". I have got too many emails with that theme over the last year.

Force of the North

(Force) to be Reckoned With

I cant see them just doing it for advertising creative filler. We are being warmed up to the Force name.

Lets Go Force! (1 syllable just a coincidence?)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am willing to bet money that UND's plan is to change the name to "Force". I have got too many emails with that theme over the last year.

Force of the North

(Force) to be Reckoned With

I cant see them just doing it for advertising creative filler. We are being warmed up to the Force name.

Lets Go Force! (1 syllable just a coincidence?)

Fargo Force took that one....

Its too bad we couldnt use the "North Stars" name

A bit off the subject, but I certainly wish that the pro leagues would take ownership of the nicknames. That would prevent silly things like the Utah Jazz from happening, and also allow the Minnesota NHL team to be called the North Stars again. And it would have prevented the abomination of the Baltimore "Ravens". ??? If you want to move your franchise, think up a new nickname.

I don't know who 1st said it but Fighting Cavalry seems like a just way of giving props to a group that was part of our history & I think is appropriate to honor these folks inlight of being rejected by their opposition http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf...amp;btnG=Search

Also see Forts of ND http://www.google.com/search?q=Forts+of+No....netscape:en-US

I'll toss another one out there for others to ridicule.

University of North Dakota Arrows. Arrows are not strictly a weapon of the Native Americans, so it cannot be pegged as Native American imagery. It is also on the North Dakota State Seal. Only one other college uses the name, Ursuline College in Ohio. You could even add an arrow to the interlocking "ND"

I still would prefer "no nickname" and "Dakota" on the uniforms, but as others have said that may not pass muster with the settlement.

Edited by GeauxSioux

I don't know who 1st said it but Fighting Cavalry seems like a just way of giving props to a group that was part of our history & I think is appropriate to honor these folks inlight of being rejected by their opposition http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf...amp;btnG=Search

Also see Forts of ND http://www.google.com/search?q=Forts+of+No....netscape:en-US

If we're considering names for those who opposed the Sioux tribes, we could probably just as well look at the Ojibwe and Chippewa since they kicked the Sioux tribes out the forests and onto the plains.

Cavalry was a fun idea to talk about when venting against the NCAA and other nickname opponents, but it has zero chance of happening. Disgruntled fans like us are not going to be picking the new nickname. Given the type of people that will likely be on the new nickname committee, Cavalry will not even make it on the preliminary list.

The new nickname will have to be completely innocuous.

Same people writing the same tired stuff they've been writing for years. yawn.gif

In this same vein, Lucy Gange has has arranged for some "speakers" to come to campus on Tuesday morning to discuss the nickname and other recent events. Ron His Horse is Thunder, David Gipp, et al...By the way, how is it that she can stand to draw a paycheck from UND? Seems she's only outraged to a certain point.

An Idea I had from watching Caveman, the TV show. Switch you name to the North Dakota Fighting Cavemen. Then you guys can go out and be as bad as you wanna be. Mascot with a loin cloth on and club, students given out foam spirit clubs, and loud chants of "Oook! Oook!"

Since you guys are already the Lakers, we could be the Riverers. :D