SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW I'm so impressed. (All universities can list a set of accomplishments) The fact that you had to actually do it, well I won't go there. Just one question ricky - If everything is so wonderfull why has your enrollment been declining for the last few years?

Just one question for you Danno...Why did it take the AC 90 years to catch up?:angry:? Appartently timing or the abundance of time has alot to do with it!

I am comfortable with NDSU and Fargo having to work hard and fundraise to put the facilities that are needed in place, even if it takes some time. I believe that this method of getting the facilities thing done is much preferrable than being hostage to 1 major doner that just gives you everything you want, and ties strings and loopholes to each donation. Often times the kid that is more successful is the one that actually has to work for his success.

How long is the blunt you are smoking? Do you actually believe what you are typing? Ask yourself where the 100 million donor from NDSU is at? Okay try 20 million? Give up? Fine, just keep dragging and hold on until you think of a big bag of doritos!

Dickinson State, Minot State, Mayville State and Valley City State should be forced by the SBoHE to become junior colleges ala NDSCS.

NDSU and UND should be the only institutions in the state of North Dakota allowed to grant a bachelor's degree or higher.

I swear to God, the stupidity of some of you never ends. I don't care if you are just trying to get a rise out of us or not. It feels good to call you STUPID!!!!

The small institutions in this state are beautiful schools. The campus' have a great feel to them and plenty of kids who otherwise wouldn't compete athletically get opportunities at those small schools. God forbid this state ever forgets the importance of our smaller institutions.

Of course, guessing by your name, you didn't bother to stay in ND and use your SU degree to benefit the people of North Dakota. State wasn't good enough to be a place to raise your children?

These are still HS kids. Until signing date they have a right to change their mind. If they verbal it is up to the staff to keep on top of the recruits to try and prevent this. It sometimes happens anyway. That is life.

I don't think many people on here are that disappointed in the recruit backing out on the verbal. Myself and probably many others are more disappointed in Lennon continuing the recruiting process after Cavil had committed to UND. It's a really a knife in the back to Mussman and the UND staff and Lennon deserves a lot of criticism for it.

The small institutions in this state are beautiful schools. The campus' have a great feel to them and plenty of kids who otherwise wouldn't compete athletically get opportunities at those small schools. God forbid this state ever forgets the importance of our smaller institutions.

Indeed, Wahpeton is a beautiful campus with wonderful students and student athletes.

No reason why Mayville, Dickinson, Valley City and Minot can't be exactly the same way and keep all of their athletic teams. That way, no one would lose an opportunity to compete athletically.

State wasn't good enough to be a place to raise your children?

No kids.

But if I have any, I'd be proud to raise them in my birth state.

Indeed, Wahpeton is a beautiful campus with wonderful students and student athletes.

No reason why Mayville, Dickinson, Valley City and Minot can't be exactly the same way and keep all of their athletic teams. That way, no one would lose an opportunity to compete athletically.

No kids.

But if I have any, I'd be proud to raise them in my birth state.

You know so little about the small colleges in this state its sad you'd even comment. The educational opportunities that exist at Dickinson, Mayville, etc. are important for the rural high school grads of this state. Kids coming from small towns thrive in the environment of small colleges (2 yr. and 4 yr.) This is my opinion, but I believe more of those small college kids stay in North Dakota after graduation also. I'm talking from a percentage standpoint vs. actual numbers. No research to prove it, just years and years of being a part of this state and letting my children attend state institutions other than NDSU and UND.

You know so little about the small colleges in this state its sad you'd even comment. The educational opportunities that exist at Dickinson, Mayville, etc. are important for the rural high school grads of this state. Kids coming from small towns thrive in the environment of small colleges (2 yr. and 4 yr.) This is my opinion, but I believe more of those small college kids stay in North Dakota after graduation also. I'm talking from a percentage standpoint vs. actual numbers. No research to prove it, just years and years of being a part of this state and letting my children attend state institutions other than NDSU and UND.

Why would rural high school grads need these opportunities and not city kids? Is something wrong with the rural kids?

I fully agree that there should be ample opportunity for rural students to get publically funded skills to take to the workforce.

But that mission can easily served (and perhaps be better served) by 2 year schools.

Then, if the student decides they want a 4 year degree, they can transfer to NDSU or UND.

And let's not forget that although not publicly funded that Mary and Jamestown provide 4 year options too. I do agree that at some point the Sbohe will have to look at the practicality of having so many 4 year institutions. I would also be in favor of leaving Dickinson as a 4 year school because of where it is located (west) and it's ability to draw students from eastern MT and WY.

And I suppose you could say the same about Minot state (though it would make more sense to me to have a 4 year in Bismarck and a 2 year in Minot).

But to have Mayville and Valley City as 4 years when Eastern ND already has NDSU and UND?

Unacceptable waste by the SBoHE.

They need to be dropped down to 2 years ASAP.

I'm guessing we're looking at signing perhaps eight or nine more players besides the commitments we know about. The following are some of the players who have been mentioned as possible UND recruiting targets and who have not committed elsewhere yet to my knowledge:

Damon Campbell, Milwaukee Lutheran, LB--WI A.P. player of the year

Tyrell Rosemeyer, Fennimore (WI), LB

Bradie Ewing, Richland Center (WI), RB

Tony Lyght, Fennimore (WI), OL

Sean Kennedy, Milwaukee Lutheran, DB

Ethan Magstadt, Maple Grove (MN), RB-LB

Rashad Gayden, Robbinsdale (MN) Cooper, LB

Willy Baregi, Holy Angels (MN), LB

Devin Benjamin, Minneapolis DeLaSalle, DL (rumored to have already committed to UND)

Kyle Gratzek, Stephen-Argyle, FB-LB

Andrew Anderson, Crookston, OL

Matthew Muenchow, Glencoe-Silver Lake, QB-DB

I'm sure this list is far from exhaustive, and I still kind of expect there to also be a few juco transfers, particularly on defense.

I believe the Herald ran the story about the commitment by the the Cavil recruit from Wisconsin on December 29th. Does anyone know if he originally commited to Lennon or to Mussman? The Herald could of been slow on getting it in the paper. The timing of that would be interesting. If he first commited to Mussman the whole situation might look like he was recruited there after commiting to us. I'm hoping that he just followed the coach he commited to. If any one knows let us know.

I believe the Herald ran the story about the commitment by the the Cavil recruit from Wisconsin on December 29th. Does anyone know if he originally commited to Lennon or to Mussman? The Herald could of been slow on getting it in the paper. The timing of that would be interesting. If he first commited to Mussman the whole situation might look like he was recruited there after commiting to us. I'm hoping that he just followed the coach he commited to. If any one knows let us know.

From a very good source, Cavil committed to UND after Lennon's departure was announced. Also, it's confirmed here.

At this point, I no longer really care. What's done is done. Southern Illinois apparently wasn't recruiting him before very recently, and as mentioned a number of times, Cavil committed to UND after Lennon's departure was known. But such is life. I really don't want a kid here who isn't 100% committed to UND, anyway. I have far too much respect for Dale Lennon to throw him under the bus for this, but I do have to ask rhetorically whether this kid is truly good enough to warrant the risk of hard feelings this may cause with the current UND coaching staff? :angry:Maybe it would be easier to justify if it was a once-in-a-generation player like Weston Dressler or Digger Anderson, but I certainly wouldn't put Kyle Cavil in that category from what I know about him.

A day before my step-son committed to UND, I contacted Coach Lennon at SIU to see if he would have interest in him there since he had offered him at UND. My step-son committed to UND prior to SIU getting back to me. The first question asked was had he committed to UND... Now I don't know exactly why they had asked the question, but my best guess is that Coach Lennon had no intention of talking to a kid that had already committed to his old school (and once committed we had no intention of entertaining further offers). If you keep a close look at D1 football, which we have done through this entire recruiting process, I think you would all be surprised by the number of programs that would recruit a kid after he had committed to another school. The better the athelete the more often this would happen (especially in the same conference). From this incident and from my step-sons dealings with both Coach Lennon and Mussman I think you have lost a man with a great deal of intregity and gain a new coach with that same make up. Count your blessings.

A poster on ND Preps is claiming Mitch Haugeberg from Minot has decided to play at Minot State. Have we lost another?

From a very good source, mitch has decided to go to Minot State. I think you'll be hearing of an offensive cordinator being hired by Lennon very soon as well.

From a very good source, Cavil committed to UND after Lennon's departure was announced. Also, it's confirmed here.

Cavil sure gave a lot of reasons why he chose UND. How did so many things change. Apparently some of those things weren't as important as he said. It just comes off sounding a little phony. Somebody must of done a real good sales job on him after commiting.

I'm guessing we're looking at signing perhaps eight or nine more players besides the commitments we know about. The following are some of the players who have been mentioned as possible UND recruiting targets and who have not committed elsewhere yet to my knowledge:

Damon Campbell, Milwaukee Lutheran, LB--WI A.P. player of the year

Tyrell Rosemeyer, Fennimore (WI), LB

Bradie Ewing, Richland Center (WI), RB

Tony Lyght, Fennimore (WI), OL

Sean Kennedy, Milwaukee Lutheran, DB

Ethan Magstadt, Maple Grove (MN), RB-LB

Rashad Gayden, Robbinsdale (MN) Cooper, LB

Willy Baregi, Holy Angels (MN), LB

Devin Benjamin, Minneapolis DeLaSalle, DL (rumored to have already committed to UND)

Kyle Gratzek, Stephen-Argyle, FB-LB

Andrew Anderson, Crookston, OL

Matthew Muenchow, Glencoe-Silver Lake, QB-DB

I'm sure this list is far from exhaustive, and I still kind of expect there to also be a few juco transfers, particularly on defense.

Gotta wonder whether there are eligibility issues with Damen Campbell; AP POY and top six or better linebacker in the state of Wisconsin yet no offers -- nada -- at least acording to Wisconsin Sports.Net I also understand Brady Ewing may have a basketball walk-on offer from UW.

What's the likelihood of additional RB recruits? Any North Dakota prospects being considered? Jared Gowan from GF? Earlier and elswhere, there was speculation about a couple of small-school running backs who were supposed to have some talent: Michal MacAtee of North Prairie and Lance Johansen of Lakota. Anyone have any idea if any of these guys might be eleventh-hour recruits or possibly preferred walk-ons? (We can do that now, can't we?) :lol:

Gotta wonder whether there are eligibility issues with Damen Campbell; AP POY and top six or better linebacker in the state of Wisconsin yet no offers -- nada -- at least acording to Wisconsin Sports.Net I also understand Brady Ewing may have a basketball walk-on offer from UW.

What's the likelihood of additional RB recruits? Any North Dakota prospects being considered? Jared Gowan from GF? Earlier and elswhere, there was speculation about a couple of small-school running backs who were supposed to have some talent: Michal MacAtee of North Prairie and Lance Johansen of Lakota. Anyone have any idea if any of these guys might be eleventh-hour recruits or possibly preferred walk-ons? (We can do that now, can't we?) :lol:

I don't believe there are any academic issues with Campbell, and I suspect the lack of news regarding his recruitment is mostly due to him not talking to the recruiting gurus. This article from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is a good read.

"I always thought I'd be more comfortable at a small school," he said. "(Big schools) showed interest, but that wasn't me."

That opened the door for North Dakota and Northern Iowa, schools that were whittled down from a few others because of possible ties with Campbell's teammates and friends.

Campbell said neither school has an edge right now and that he does not plan on making a decision anytime in the near future. He already has qualified academically for a scholarship.

The above article was from December 1, so a lot may have changed since then.

Campbell is ranked among the top ten prospects in Wisconsin on virtually every list I've seen.