SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

It's funny how recruiting works sometimes. Last year at this time, we had about 16 known commitments. This year, despite probably more early commits than ever before, as of now we are at somewhere in the vicinity of 11, with the Tracy commitment in some possible doubt, and the Benjamin commitment not yet confirmed in the media (or by Walrus or UNDvince97-01). The month of January has been high on quality, but seemingly a bit low on quantity.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny how recruiting works sometimes. Last year at this time, we had about 16 known commitments. This year, despite probably more early commits than ever before, as of now we are at somewhere in the vicinity of 11, with the Tracy commitment in some possible doubt, and the Benjamin commitment not yet confirmed in the media (or by Walrus or UNDvince97-01). The month of January has been high on quality, but seemingly a bit low on quantity.

Eastview's(MN) versatile/athletic TE/DE Dan Edem now commits to Jerry Kill's Northern Illinois Huskies( D-1A Mid-American Conference). He's now the top projected TE for the 2008 class- this is a huge late pick for the exuberant Huskies .

http://eastviewfootball.com

Eastview's(MN) versatile/athletic TE/DE Dan Edem now commits to Jerry Kill's Northern Illinois Huskies( D-1A Mid-American Conference). He's now the top projected TE for the 2008 class- this is a huge late pick for the exuberant Huskies .

http://eastviewfootball.com

While it is always disappointing to lose kids that have committed to us, I take a little solace in the fact that we lost him to a FBS school. Goes to show that Coach Mussman and his staff are recruiting the right kids.

While it is always disappointing to lose kids that have committed to us, I take a little solace in the fact that we lost him to a FBS school. Goes to show that Coach Mussman and his staff are recruiting the right kids.

They may be the right type of athletes, but in this case it certainly wasn't the right kind of person.

Here is Ian Rosario's bio on ESPNU's recruiting tracker. I will post the link but I dont know if anyone else has the insider or if the insider is needed to view the page. Here it is:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/...amp;season=2008

Incase you can't see without the Insider these are his schools of interest in order.

1. Boise State

2. Oregon State

3. Washington

4. Washington State

No, ND in the mix. Unless if this is a different Ian Rosario, which i don't think it is, are we going to lose another commit? Can we actually land a guy who's looking at those competing programs?

Here is Ian Rosario's bio on ESPNU's recruiting tracker. I will post the link but I dont know if anyone else has the insider or if the insider is needed to view the page. Here it is:

Incase you can't see without the Insider these are his schools of interest in order.

1. Boise State

2. Oregon State

3. Washington

4. Washington State

No, ND in the mix. Unless if this is a different Ian Rosario, which i don't think it is, are we going to lose another commit? Can we actually land a guy who's looking at those competing programs?

I have been told that his commitment to UND is solid. Those schools were listed on there before he ever committed to UND. Hopefully, we see him on the good list of signees on Tuesday.

1. Boise State

2. Oregon State

3. Washington

4. Washington State

Ian Rosario is going to UND. Before he committed to UND he was on the bubble for several of these teams. As someone else state those where the D1 schools he was originally interested in, two of which showed interest in him. Bottom line he was the odd man out at Washington, Notre Dame liked him in camp last year but has one hell of a recruiting class. He is not going anywhere else. Hopefully he will make you all happy that he is a Fighting Sioux.

Ian Rosario is going to UND. Before he committed to UND he was on the bubble for several of these teams. As someone else state those where the D1 schools he was originally interested in, two of which showed interest in him. Bottom line he was the odd man out at Washington, Notre Dame liked him in camp last year but has one hell of a recruiting class. He is not going anywhere else. Hopefully he will make you all happy that he is a Fighting Sioux.

Thanks Big#75. We look forward to seeing him at North Dakota, the "better ND". Who is Notre Dame?

Thanks Big #75, I was hoping you would come on here and confirm it since you would know more about Ian than anybody else on here. All of us look forward to having Ian on campus as a member of the Fighting Sioux Football Family this fall.

Nice piece on Kenny Watkins. Welcome to the Fighting Sioux family Mr. Watkins.

Watkins to fight as Sioux

“The thing I liked about them was that the coaches were real nice and didn’t jerk me around,” Watkins said. “Some schools would stop talking to you if they were pursuing another player and then try to come back and talk to you when that fell through, but they always kept talking to me and kept telling me they wanted me to come there.” With schools like Eastern Kentucky, West Texas A&M and Texas State involved, Watkins could have kept in touch with the Southern climates. And at first that was a major factor for the senior Wildcat.

But Watkins said the more he looked at the program and what they have accomplished over the years, the more he became intrigued with the prospect of playing up north.

This is very worrisome for me! We're losing a lot of recruits. Can anyone offer any encouraging words? I was really excited about this class, but now I'm worried.

I guess the downside of getting a lot of early commitments is that it means there's a lot of time for other schools to swoop in. Ultimately, I still feel like this class has the potential to be very good. We did well in North Dakota, and players like Rosario, Sutton, Heimler and Watkins look very good. I also strongly suspect that there are several commitments from the past couple of weeks that simply haven't been "leaked." We wouldn't know about Watkins, for example, but for the stories from the Texas newspaper(s). I tend to believe the report from the minnesotapreps board that Benjamin committed, as well. We will be just fine.

I guess the downside of getting a lot of early commitments is that it means there's a lot of time for other schools to swoop in. Ultimately, I still feel like this class has the potential to be very good. We did well in North Dakota, and players like Rosario, Sutton, Heimler and Watkins look very good. I also strongly suspect that there are several commitments from the past couple of weeks that simply haven't been "leaked." We wouldn't know about Watkins, for example, but for the stories from the Texas newspaper(s). I tend to believe the report from the minnesotapreps board that Benjamin committed, as well. We will be just fine.

I believe the Banjamin commitment as well and if its true we landed a real stud. Kid could probably play nose guard as a freshman but the decision the coaches will have to make this year is probably redshirt kids who could play so we can have them as seniors, the first year we will be playoff elgible.

Does anyone know if we are bringing in prospects this weekend or has that part of the process been completed?

According to NCAA rules I believe schools still can host prospective recruits on official visits through Feb. 2, but whether UND has anybody else coming in, I don't know.

Per a poster on minnesotapreps.com, Ethan Magstadt has committed to UND. Here's some info on him. Although he played exclusively running back, I think he's possibly projected as an outside linebacker in college. The ESPN recruiting site projects him as a fullback. link. According to scout.com, he received "medium interest" from the Gophers.

Per a poster on minnesotapreps.com, Ethan Magstadt has committed to UND. Here's some info on him. Although he played exclusively running back, I think he's possibly projected as an outside linebacker in college. The ESPN recruiting site projects him as a fullback. link. According to scout.com, he received "medium interest" from the Gophers.

Just wanted to clear up what seems to be some confusion with the recruiting websites. The interest level listed beside each university in a players profile is the recruits interest in that program not the programs interest in the recruit. You have be careful about the information on these sites. Much of it cames from the recuits. I know rivals and scouts both have combines that they do and that data will be marked as such. The ESPN recruiting site has probably the best reports on each prospect. These reports are generated from highlight video that you send them.

Very good news - thanks for posting it!

His quickest way to see time would probably be at fullback, he has never played defense in High School so that will be a work in progress. He is a good kid who is a very good student. He knows his way around the weight room and I see him getting up to 220-225 lbs. very quickly.