SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2007-08 Updates

USA Hockey

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree though about losing a lot of juniors next season.

I fully expect Oshie, Chorney, Finley, and Duncan to not be back. Duncan is the only one of those 4 that I could see possibly sticking around, but it is not likely.

And then we will probably see at least one "unexpected" departure. VV, Kozek, etc.

If you look at the number of forwards available to come in next year, even likely to come in next year, I think we should expect a few surprises in who decides to leave. Just my take.

Taking that one step further, maybe what is a surprise to us isn't a surprise to the coaches.

I would like to echo AZSIOUX's comments. There have already been some signings this year that don't really make sense. Look at the early departures outside of the WCHA this year and ask yourself why they were signed. It is both draftees and unsigned guys who have left either midseason or over the last couple of weeks. Most of them didn't have any of the stats near to even the mid-level guys in the wcha, needless to say they are gone. It should be a very interesting off season, more so than usual I think.

he doesn't dominate this year in the WCHA. why would moving on now help him? I think most of his 16 goals this year are the product of his linemates.

I think that is the point they are trying to make, his stock would be at its highest now. I don't care what anyone says, 16 goals in this league is very good and to diminish that doesn't make sense to me. Could he repeat or better that next year? Maybe, maybe not. It really wouldn't surprise me if he left, but it would be nice to have that shot back next year, especially since they will need to replace some scoring punch.

I went to the game on Sunday as well and talked to someone from Shattuck. Toews is expected out 2-6 weeks. Will see a surgeon when they get back to MN. They are going to nationals April 2nd so are hoping it's not too bad and he will be able to skate. Haven't been able to find any more info.

I was there as well, and for a time, he was sitting right below us keeping stats. He left the rink on crutches Saturday night, but did not have crutches on Sunday. I heard him tell someone that "they" didn't want him on crutches, but instead put him in a knee brace. He did seem to be in a fair amount of pain when he moved his leg.

Look at the early departures outside of the WCHA this year and ask yourself why they were signed.

How many gave up eligibility to sign? I think you'll find the number of "early" departures is really quite low. Not too many underclassmen; two IIRC.

I love Ryan Duncan, but I think he will eventually regret it if he leaves next year.

I admire the hell out of him for sticking it out, but in all honesty, he should have left after last season. Not trying to flame here, but Toews is obviously a very special player and most importantly in this situation a great setup man, and that's obviously what Duncan didn't have this year. Oshie is very good, but playmaking isn't going to be his forte at the next level where as Toews is going to be an elite center for the next 15+ years.

I admire the hell out of him for sticking it out, but in all honesty, he should have left after last season. Not trying to flame here, but Toews is obviously a very special player and most importantly in this situation a great setup man, and that's obviously what Duncan didn't have this year. Oshie is very good, but playmaking isn't going to be his forte at the next level where as Toews is going to be an elite center for the next 15+ years.

I have to agree with you on Duncan and the notion that his stock will never be higher. He's a good college player who can shoot the puck and had a great year playing on a great line. the other two players helped him achieve the award last year no doubt. Duncan has publicly stated that opinion. He has been very consistent this year imo but not as dynamic for sure. However, we do have a difference of opinion on Oshie's role in all of this. Do you think Duncan would have better stats this year if the third forward on the line was of TJ's caliber? They both would. I think you're selling Oshie short by your last statement and think he'll have a pretty decent career in the NHL in his own right. Too bad Chicago didn't take Oshie instead of Skille in the 2005 draft. - the t.k.o. line. ;)

T.owes K.ane O.shie has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

I think Duncan's stock was much higher than last year and he may have missed some opportunities (but not all by any means) by being unselfish and coming back.

While I think that Duncs benifited a lot from Toews, everyone forgets that Toews was injured and out for quite awhile during the first half of the season and TJ was also injured and not "playing up to speed" and Duncan really carried the team on his back until those two got healthy. Also he really flew under the radar and teams weren't keying on him the way they are this year. The 1st line has had a problem finding that 3rd cog and I think both TJ and Duncs have had a hard time getting into a groove with multiple players up on that line.

Oshie is not only "very good" but he can score, pass, set up plays, forcheck, backcheck, hits hard and could sell popcorn. He anticipates plays as well as anyone I have seen and is a great passer. Oshie will be an outstanding player in the NHL. He is a hell of a playmaker and one of the best college players I have seen in 37 years of watching college hockey. He is maybe the most complete forward we have had here. Deserves to be the Hobie Baker winner unless the East has someone better. Hard to compare. We have had faster guys, but I am not sure many better. He is worth the price of admission.

I am just sorry that St. Louis won't make the playoffs, then we could watch TJ even longer after UND wins their National Championship. I think Oshie will make an immediate impact in the NHL. He will make his linemates better and with the reduction of the clutching and grabbing, we will be able to see him use a larger portion of his skill. I think playing in the WCHA has kept Oshie in check, by that I mean it has tested him more than other leagues, but also in that the increased physicality of the league has kept him from really being able to have room to work his magic.

I for one think that Duncan will be back next year. If you read the Business @ UND magazine awhile back they interviewed Duncan and he seems like he is very serious about education first. He also states that he came to UND for education first and the hockey team was a bonus. I don't know the kid but he's never once given me the impression to think otherwise. This is just my opinion but I'd say about a 95% chance he's back for his senior year.

What do I know about Sioux recruits?

I know that between now and September 2009 (yes, 2009) we'll lose all of today's seniors and juniors, plus almost assuredly Chris VandeVelde.

That's 9 forwards and 4 defensemen.

I also know that lined up to come in between now and September 2009 (see: Wiki) they have ....

9 forwards and 4 defensemen.

Plus, they have Lamoureux's replacement (Eidsness). The only question is Walski's, and what about Snider's future.

If Hakstol and his staff are smart enough to have it lined up 18 months out, I'll trust them to bring the right guy in at the right time depending on the "ifs and whens" of today's juniors leaving early (i.e. 2008). ;)

TJ is certainly a special player and agree that his stick work alone is worth the price of admission. He is also a very good checker. His style of play made him a fan favorite at UND, and will make him a fan favorite at St Louis. He reminds me of a young Jeremy Roenick back in his Chicago days. To put on my NHL coach/GM hat, however, he is not as complete a player as JT was last year. TJ is not as good as JT was in the defensive zone, and my only criticism of his offensive game is that he needs to learn to use his teammates better. I recognize it is difficult when he is better than his teammates, but using one's teammates well, makes a special college player into a special NHL player. Before I get flamed. If you read what I am writing, I am trying to say that TJ is A GREAT hockey player. I could gush on what makes him great for hours. If he can learn to tone down his own desire to play physical, get a little better in the defensive zone, and learn to use his teammates to create space, rather than using his stick and individual puck skils to make space, he will be an elite NHLer. If he doesn't, he will still be a very good NHLer based on his natural ability alone. We have been gifted with great players at UND. TJ is in the class of ZPar, JT, and Troy Murray of being at the NHL skill level as a teenager (realize he is 21 now).

TJ is certainly a special player and agree that his stick work alone is worth the price of admission. He is also a very good checker. His style of play made him a fan favorite at UND, and will make him a fan favorite at St Louis. He reminds me of a young Jeremy Roenick back in his Chicago days. To put on my NHL coach/GM hat, however, he is not as complete a player as JT was last year. TJ is not as good as JT was in the defensive zone, and my only criticism of his offensive game is that he needs to learn to use his teammates better. I recognize it is difficult when he is better than his teammates, but using one's teammates well, makes a special college player into a special NHL player. Before I get flamed. If you read what I am writing, I am trying to say that TJ is A GREAT hockey player. I could gush on what makes him great for hours. If he can learn to tone down his own desire to play physical, get a little better in the defensive zone, and learn to use his teammates to create space, rather than using his stick and individual puck skils to make space, he will be an elite NHLer. If he doesn't, he will still be a very good NHLer based on his natural ability alone. We have been gifted with great players at UND. TJ is in the class of ZPar, JT, and Troy Murray of being at the NHL skill level as a teenager (realize he is 21 now).

I somewhat disagree about TJ needing to use his teammates more, but I see where you are coming from. He does tend to take matters in his own hands and try to get around 3-4 guys to make a play when he could make a pass, but ultimately that's what he is looking to do...make a pass. His shot count is way lower than it should be for someone of his caliber, and that's a direct result of him trying to look for an open teammate to pass to.

I somewhat disagree about TJ needing to use his teammates more, but I see where you are coming from. He does tend to take matters in his own hands and try to get around 3-4 guys to make a play when he could make a pass, but ultimately that's what he is looking to do...make a pass. His shot count is way lower than it should be for someone of his caliber, and that's a direct result of him trying to look for an open teammate to pass to.

agree, there have been many times by the net you say SHOOT then as hes trying to set up a perfect play. the kid has sick hands and uses them which i love watching. hes a straight up hockey player. hes solid in every facet of the game!

I don't think that he uses his teammates poorly by any stretch of the imagination. I am just saying that with his abilities, if he could do it even better, he could be at the ELITE NHL level. I also agree that he is a very good playmaker, and these two statements are not mutually exclusive. He is solid in all elements of the game, and is a GREAT hockey player, as I stated in my earlier post. I am talking about trying to add horse power to a Ferrari.

Sometimes TJ looks like he is trying to do too much on his own or trying to make the near impossible pass and when it doesn't work out it looks bad. Great players try to do the extra-ordinary.

When you see highlights of Gretzky, Orr, etc. you always see their great goals/assists. However, if you can find an old game tape and watch an entire game Gretzky/Orr played in, along with the great plays, you will also see plenty shots/passes that didn't work out either. The plays that worked made up for the plays that didn't.

Take a good look and enjoy - #7 is winding down his career as a Sioux. I wouldn't trade him for any player in the country.