SiouxSports.com Forum

Candidates for UND President

GeauxSioux

When it comes to describing the job of UND's president, should the search committee highlight the nickname issue or shadow it?

The committee should spotlight the controversy with a 4,000-watt Xenon bulb. That's because the complex issue is sure to haunt the next president and present some of his or her greatest challenges, just as it has dogged the past three presidents of UND.

And the candidates should know about it.

The issue is not complex. The NCAA executive committee instituted policy without proper authorization. Only a minority of a minority want the name changed. That's all there is to it. It is complex only to those that want the name changed, because they realize that there is no justification for doing so.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue is not complex. The NCAA executive committee instituted policy without proper authorization. Only a minority of a minority want the name changed. That's all there is to it. It is complex only to those that want the name changed, because they realize that there is no justification for doing so.

The idea that the name issue is complex, time consuming and negative is more of a media myth than reality, according to the current UND president:

USCHO: One final question: When you accepted the job to be president of UND back in 1999, did you ever think that you would spend as much time as you have on this issue?

Kupchella: There's an assumption in your question that it's lots of time, and it really isn't. It seems like a lot more than it is because of the media and public interest in it. Of course, you could argue that any time spent on it is unfortunate. I don't happen to believe that. I think this is one of those classic issues that it's kind of not altogether bad to have it to sharpen minds on. Where's the boundary between social justice and political correctness? There are fundamental questions here such as: How big an opposition group you need before you change something? When does the majority not have control even when it's so large? These are some fundamental, interesting issues. There are those who say that it's disruptive of classrooms here. Hey, we're educating students about how to deal with a world that gets kind of fuzzy around the edges, and not all the answers are clear. There are good people with good arguments on both sides of almost anything you call an issue. So it's not bad at all that we

What's most important is not the date on which the president announces his intention to leave, but the date on which he plans to leave. There's no point in rushing the process to select a new president when the person in office isn't leaving any time soon.

I somewhat agree, but didn't Kupchella say originally that he was leaving in January '08 and is extending to July when asked? I realize that alot of the plans that Kupchella has had are long range goals and he can keep working toward those, but typically someone who is a lame duck is less inclined to produce further. Maybe I'm making too much of the time issue, but 1-1/2 years seems like a long time. With all of that said, I'm all for getting the best person possible for the job.

How much has Greg Weisenstein's stock risen in the past month to be UND's new president? He was the one of the three finalists for the FGCU job and ended up being one of two finalists when the former OSU president pulled out at the last minute.

Does anyone have a positive or negative vibe on Weisenstein?

• 2 weeks later...
Faculty, for instance, expressed concerns about hiring a president who holds a master's in business administration or a law degree rather than a doctoral degree.

Tom Petros, a UND psychology professor and chairman of the University Senate, said he isn't entirely opposed to a nondoctorate president but believes a strong understanding of academic research is an important component of the president's job.

"That doesn't mean Bill Gates wouldn't be a good UND president," Petros said, "but I'd hold out the jury longer on him than I would on (UND Vice President for Student and Outreach Services) Bob Boyd or (Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs) Greg Weisenstein or other people who have walked in our shoes."

I understand their concerns, but universities are run more like a business these days.

Tim O'Keefe, executive vice president of the UND Alumni Association and a member of the search committee, highlighted the increasing importance of fundraising for university presidents, suggesting UND's next president may spend as much as half the work week on fundraising work.

Fundraising was one of the main topics in FGCU's search as well.

Chapman's problems aren't with UND or with Kupchella. His problems are that he doesn't understand he answers to the Chancellor. I believe he has pushed that issue to the limit and even Paulsen and Andrews have told him to toe the line. Getting Clayburgh off of the state board, although she was from Grand Forks, hurts him rather than helps him. She didn't like Kupchella and she was really liked Chapman. the new make up of the board will not tolerate the crap the board has tolerated from him in the past and I believe he has been told that.

Chapman could have acheived everything he has without creating the conflict between himself and the 3 previous Chancellors. Paulsen, Andrews and Clayburgh were very instrumental in allowing the controversy which should have been dealt with the first time Chapman had problems with Isaac and then again with Potts and then again with Dunn. The new guy doesn't want conflict and unless Chapman creates a new problem there should be no more issues.

Chapman gets most of the credit that should go to the staff and NDSU community. He has done a number of good things for them but most would have happened without him. It wouldn't have happened without the work of Inniger and his staff, the Fargo City council and the support for their athletics they get from the state and community as well as the research dollars they get both from the hard work of their faculty and the N.Dak. congressional team of Dorgan, Conrad and Pomeroy.

What he does very well is he gets out and around campus and Fargo and meets and greets the right people. That is his job and he does it very well. Those are his strengths. His major weakness is his lack of integrity and problems with lack of honesty when dealing with the board and in the past with the Attorney General. His ego is the only thing I know of bigger than his ears and that I believe is a higher priority to him than NDSU.

President search profile on its way to state board

UND's Presidential Search Committee approved its final draft of the search profile that will be used to advertise for UND's next president at a meeting Monday morning.

During the past two weeks, the search committee received input on the final draft from faculty, students, alumni and community members over the course of 18 public forums.

The committee also removed the final sentence of a profile subsection describing the controversy over UND's Fighting Sioux team nickname and the ongoing lawsuit over that nickname with the NCAA.

That sentence follows a separate sentence that explains the State Board of Higher Education retains final authority over the nickname's future. The removed sentence states UND's next president “will have the opportunity to use the Board's resolution of these issues as a way to bring together people whose differences have distracted from the shared commitment to the success of the University and the wellbeing of its students.”

Critics argued the sentence could be read to imply nickname opponents had distracted from the school's success.

LeBel said the input gathered during the profile forums will continue to guide committee members as they contact applicants and winnow the list of candidates. He said the committee will continue to gather public input as it plans campus visits for the final three to six candidates.

The extra $$ could help in the search...Chancellor recommends big bump in UND, NDSU presidents' salaries

A salary survey prepared by North Dakota University System Chancellor Bill Goetz recommends the presidents of UND and North Dakota State University each receive between $300,000 and $325,000 annually.

That's an increase of between 41 percent and 53 percent over the presidents' current salary of about $212,000.

UND Not in Schafer`s Future

For those who thought he was a possible candidate...

Former Governor Ed Schafer says he`s been approached to take the job as president of the University of North Dakota.

Schafer says it`s flattering, but he`s not interested.

The Republican says he`s been contacted by some people who think he should go after the position, but he says he has no plans to apply. Schafer lives in Fargo and is a partner in a business consulting firm.