SiouxSports.com Forum

Candidates for UND President

GeauxSioux

Help:

EERC director Groenewold may seek UND presidency

EERC Director Gerald Groenewold said Tuesday "a significant number of people across the country" have encouraged him to seek the UND presidency and he's considering applying for the job.

Groenewold said his decision to apply for the presidency won't be affected by misdemeanor disorderly conduct charges filed against him Friday in Grand Forks District Court. The charges stem from an April incident in which Groenewold allegedly threatened Manvel, N.D., firefighters investigating a controlled grass fire on his property and shook a rake at one of them.

Groenewold as UND president, from my understanding, would be an unmitigated disaster for athletics and the Sioux name.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Groenewold as UND president, from my understanding, would be an unmitigated disaster for athletics and the Sioux name.

That's the understatement of the summer, and a strong contender for understatement of the year.

Gerry should worry about putting his own fires out first. :lol:;)

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this in the paper this morning and thought it pertinent as UND is looking for a new president.. Presidential paycheck

University of West Florida President John Cavanaugh has hit a salary bonanza.

Even as Florida universities struggle with shrinking dollars and frozen faculty and staff salaries, the UWF Board of Trustees has extended Cavanaugh a five-year contract that increases his first-year compensation package to as much as $464,250.

Making the deal more lucrative is the fact that Cavanaugh and his wife live rent-free in a university-owned home in downtown Pensacola. Their electricity and natural gas bills are paid for, the university covers his social club dues and he receives a substantial car allowance.

And, if Cavanaugh remains at the university for five more years, the deal becomes even sweeter, with the awarding of a $250,000 retention bonus.

"John is very highly regarded nationwide in the university system and has provided very solid leadership at UWF," said Board of Trustees Chairman Kenneth "KC" Clark of St. Pete Beach. "We didn't want to lose that."

In June, the 13-member board unanimously signed off on the contract, Cavanaugh's first since coming to the university in 2002. It extends to June 30, 2012.

UWF is a 40 year old Division II school that is transitioning from a commuter school to room/board type school. Beautiful campus in the woods 10 miles north of downtown. My property backs up to UWF, so I do lot of hiking in "their" woods.

I saw this in the paper this morning and thought it pertinent as UND is looking for a new president.. Presidential paycheck UWF is a 40 year old Division II school that is transitioning from a commuter school to room/board type school. Beautiful campus in the woods 10 miles north of downtown. My property backs up to UWF, so I do lot of hiking in "their" woods.

This surprised me:

Cavanaugh's $295,000 base salary is $5,000 more than the 2006-07 base salary of T.K. Wetherell, the president of FSU, which has about four times as many students as UWF.

This is a good piece of information:

The president of South Dakota State earned the least, with an annual base salary of $180,127.

OUR OPINION: UND starts search for president

The committee looking for a new UND president will meet Tuesday.

It's none too soon, judging by the chorus of speculation heard around the state.

No fewer than six current UND officials have been mentioned as candidates.

Part of the reason for this interest is that the job isn't open very often. UND has had only nine presidents in its 125-year history.

This story caught my eye because UND's Greg Weisenstein is on the list of candidates for FGCU, as well as listed as a possible UND candidate. The story is actually about a wealthy businessman from Michigan who is also a candidate at FGCU. After reading it started me thinking as to what qualities UND is looking for in their next president. Obviously fundraising and research dollars are a huge part of todays presidents, but beyond that would you like to see from the next UND president?

This story caught my eye because UND's Greg Weisenstein is on the list of candidates for FGCU, as well as listed as a possible UND candidate. The story is actually about a wealthy businessman from Michigan who is also a candidate at FGCU. After reading it started me thinking as to what qualities UND is looking for in their next president. Obviously fundraising and research dollars are a huge part of todays presidents, but beyond that would you like to see from the next UND president?

I would like to see a broad background in both the private sector and university administration, which may be tough to find. I hope UND does not go the route of a career professor/administrator, like Dr. Kupchella.

I would like to see a broad background in both the private sector and university administration, which may be tough to find. I hope UND does not go the route of a career professor/administrator, like Dr. Kupchella.

I tend to agree with this. Larger universities have more of the attributes of a large business, than they do of an institution of higher ed. When you throw in federal and state dollars, payrolls, human resources, research grants, fundraising for capital improvements and scholarships, etc., I think UND could benefit from somebody with a solid background in business, as well as exposure the finer points of education administration. A Ph.D. in some discipline would be nice, but I think a solid MBA would probably be appropriate as well.

Anyone know when they're planning on announcing the new president? Hopefully sooner rather than later??

when they decide, the committee has only had like one meeting, so I wouldn't expect a decision for awhile yet. Kupchella has said that if they don't decide by the time he set when he annouced that he will stay until they do.

UND: Committee works to fine-tune president job profile

The search committee that will field candidates to be UND's next president debated Tuesday how to present the issue of UND's Fighting Sioux nickname lawsuit against the NCAA to presidential candidates.

Committee member Rick Burgum, president and CEO of Arthur Companies in Arthur, N.D., said he worries a draft job profile for the president's position overstates the importance of the nickname to the next president's work.

Whether UND's lawsuit against the NCAA is won or lost, North Dakota's State Board of Higher Education, not the UND president, ultimately will decide whether to retire or retain the nickname, said board president John Paulsen, also a member of the search committee.

Because the next president will have no authority to change or retain UND's nickname, Burgum said, he worries the profile might overstate his or her role in managing the controversy.

Whether UND's lawsuit against the NCAA is won or lost, North Dakota's State Board of Higher Education, not the UND president, ultimately will decide whether to retire or retain the nickname, said board president John Paulsen, also a member of the search committee.

Because the next president will have no authority to change or retain UND's nickname, Burgum said, he worries the profile might overstate his or her role in managing the controversy.

As long as the candidate knows this from the start I don't think there will be any problems.

OUR OPINION: Don't soft-sell UND nickname to candidates for presidency

When it comes to describing the job of UND's president, should the search committee highlight the nickname issue or shadow it?

The committee should spotlight the controversy with a 4,000-watt Xenon bulb. That's because the complex issue is sure to haunt the next president and present some of his or her greatest challenges, just as it has dogged the past three presidents of UND.

And the candidates should know about it.

I would think that unless the candidates are clueless they would already have done their homework about UND and know all about the nickname issue. I would prefer that the candidate know as much as possible.

VIEWPOINT: UND presidential search enjoys good start

As the new academic year begins, the search for the successor to Dr. Charles Kupchella as president of UND is under way.

The search committee held an organizational meeting in mid-June and our first working session Aug. 14. Each of those meetings produced unanimity on policy choices that bode well for the search process.

First, the committee decided in June that we would defer the initial stages of the search until the academic community had resumed full activity in August. A time of transition is critical for any institution, and we wanted to make sure that the presidential search tapped into and fostered the energy and optimism that exist on campus about the future of our university.

Deferring the start of the search process would be easier if Kupchella remained in office until July 1, and he has generously agreed to do so.

The committee then will review the field of candidates in October, conduct preliminary screening interviews in November, hold campus interviews in January and at our final meeting on Jan. 28, select at least three finalists to recommend to the state board.
Is it normal for the process to take 1-1/2 years from the time a current president announces his departure until a new president is selected and seated as the new president? It just seems like an awfully long time.

OUR OPINION: Don't soft-sell UND nickname to candidates for presidency

I would think that unless the candidates are clueless they would already have done their homework about UND and know all about the nickname issue. I would prefer that the candidate know as much as possible.

If they don't know about the nick name issue they are not very well read... :blush:

Is it normal for the process to take 1-1/2 years from the time a current president announces his departure until a new president is selected and seated as the new president? It just seems like an awfully long time.

What's most important is not the date on which the president announces his intention to leave, but the date on which he plans to leave. There's no point in rushing the process to select a new president when the person in office isn't leaving any time soon.

Edited by PCM