SiouxSports.com Forum

Candidates for UND President

GeauxSioux

Applications roll in for UND presidency

Thirteen people have applied to be UND's next president since the school began accepting applications in late September.

Applicants include chief academic officers at the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago, Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Va., and at a New Mexico State University branch campus in Carlsbad.

Also applying are lower level administrators at Illinois State University, DePaul University in Chicago, Washington University in St. Louis, the University of Wyoming and the University of Central Florida, as well as a former president of Henry Cogswell College in Everett, Wash., and an assistant attorney general for the state of Virginia.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to disagree, but why do so many people think a UND connection is all that is needed for a high profile job at UND?

Honest questions...?

Would you elect a city council person, that did not live in your neighborhood...?

How about voting for a Mayor that did not reside within your city limits...?

Do you want the Govenor of your home state to have lived there....?

Why is it every time we talk about a hiring at UND, weather it be Athletic Director to President it seems to be a flaw if you have a education from UND or have been born and raise in the great state on North Dakota...?

Why is it every time we talk about a hiring at UND, weather it be Athletic Director to President it seems to be a flaw if you have a education from UND or have been born and raise in the great state on North Dakota...?

Hiring the best person for any job at the university should be the objective. If the best person is a UND alumnus, then that's wonderful.

Probably the same reason that ND hockey players on the roster are automatically below everyone and their dog, as long as they come from out of state.

Smith is definitely going to be one of the top candidates. He has a nice mix of athletics, being a former Sioux football player, and academics, as the dean of Aerospace. He would do well at bringing in money to the foundation, as well.

The questions I have regarding Smith are in the area of research dollars and his standing with others at UND. Does anyone have any insight into how he has been connected in obtaining research dollars? I know that Aerospace did receive some money from the Center of Excellence program. Since he is the Dean at Aerospace, I'm assuming that he has a positive relationship with the academia at UND?

I don't think that having a UND connection is all that is needed, but I also think that it shouldn't be a strike against anyone either. I too would like someone who would be UND for a long term and not use it as a stepping stone. In that case having a UND connection would be a positive.

Honest questions...?

Would you elect a city council person, that did not live in your neighborhood...?

How about voting for a Mayor that did not reside within your city limits...?

Do you want the Govenor of your home state to have lived there....?

honestly, yes! because in ND we have so many small towns that the mayor can live on a farm outside of city limits and still be a good mayor. The council person may live on the other side of town, but I would still vote for them. I realize that this is not what you meant, but just saying that it depends on the person.

Electing a mayor and a University president are two different things as well. Yes, for a mayor you are going to want somebody who knows your town. When hiring a president for a university, you want somebody who will do the best job for the university. If someone has UND connections and would be a horrible president, they shouldn't get the vote over somebody who would be a great president, but doesn't have UND connections. It is great if they do, but I want the best person for the job.

(good grief I can't believe I'm about to say this)

That guy at the school formerly known as NDAC had no knowledge of ND before then and is doing OK.

National universities do national searches: Look everywhere; find the one best suited for the job. That person may be across the country, across the campus, or across the hall. You start by looking everywhere.

Smith is definitely going to be one of the top candidates. He has a nice mix of athletics, being a former Sioux football player, and academics, as the dean of Aerospace. He would do well at bringing in money to the foundation, as well.

The questions I have regarding Smith are in the area of research dollars and his standing with others at UND. Does anyone have any insight into how he has been connected in obtaining research dollars? I know that Aerospace did receive some money from the Center of Excellence program. Since he is the Dean at Aerospace, I'm assuming that he has a positive relationship with the academia at UND?

I don't think that having a UND connection is all that is needed, but I also think that it shouldn't be a strike against anyone either. I too would like someone who would be UND for a long term and not use it as a stepping stone. In that case having a UND connection would be a positive.

I don't have any knowledge of Smith in terms of research dollars, but in my opinion he'd be an extremely popular choice in the athletic department, among a lot of alums, and probably among a lot of students. A lot of the faculty, however, probably wouldn't be happy for some political reasons, e.g. the Sioux nickname and the fact that he's not opposed to it. If I were on the state board of higher ed, I'm be far more concerned with how students and alums feel than faculty, but I have no idea how the board actually views things.

Harmeson seeks UND presidency

UND vice president for general administration Phil Harmeson, a 24-year fixture on campus, applied today to succeed his boss as UND's next president.

In a 7-page application letter, Harmeson focuses on his long family history in North Dakota, his nearly quarter-decade tenure at UND, his deep familiarity with the North Dakota political process, and his unique insight into the UND presidency gained during seven years as retiring President Charles Kupchella's senior associate.

"In that role I have had the unique vantage point that many times parallels that of only one other individual in senior leadership, namely the president," Harmeson wrote in his application." No other individual in the institution except, of course, the president was privy to in many instances the 'whole story' where because of my role I was the confidante and advisor."

Provost joins race

Greg Weisenstein, UND's provost and vice president for academic affairs, on Thursday became the latest UND insider to join the race to succeed his boss, UND President Charles Kupchella.

In an interview Wednesday, Weisenstein focused on his more than 30 years in academics and his experience raising external funding through grants, contracts and alumni contributions.

He seems great academically, but does anyone have any information regarding Weisenstein's stance on athletics?

Another hat in the ring....UND: Elbert seeks presidency

Dennis Elbert, dean of UND's School of Business and Public Administration, who has been affiliated with UND for nearly 40 years as a student, professor and administrator, announced Friday he would seek the school's presidency.

Elbert, 60, broke the news to his faculty and staff before sending in his application.

"UND has been very good for me as the place that it all began for me," Elbert told the Herald. "The opportunity to serve as a faculty member and an administrator are part of a dream that I could not have imagined as an undergrad back in the 1960s.

HIGHER EDUCATION NOTEBOOK

Perhaps you can learn something about internal UND presidential candidates by the references they keep.

Aerospace dean and former UND football All-American Bruce Smith was the first internal candidate to enter the race. In application materials, he emphasized his ability to move UND to NCAA Division IA athletics and his unique credentials to broker a compromise on the school's Fighting Sioux nickname and logo or, if a compromise can't be reached, to “respectfully retire” the nickname and logo.

The first personal reference listed on Smith's application was former UND football All-American Dan Martinsen, who's working for the school on a volunteer basis as President Charles Kupchella's top D-I liaison.

UND vice president for general administration Phil Harmeson, a longtime political researcher and local pundit, stressed his deep understanding of North Dakota politics when he entered the presidential fray.

Harmeson's top-listed reference is state Sen. Ray Holmberg, R – Grand Forks, chairman of the Senate's appropriations committee.

Weisenstein had not completed a final draft of his application materials when he spoke with the Herald on Wednesday. He said references included UND's retiring president Charles Kupchella, former North Dakota University System Chancellor Eddie Dunn, and a former chairman of the board of regents for the Montana university system.
Dennis Elbert, dean of the College of Business and Public Administration, who has been affiliated with UND for about 40 years as a student, professor and administrator, also hadn't pinpointed a top reference as of late last week, but he did list a number of references that reveal his connections in higher education and his ability to network into the private sector and the business world.

Some of his top choices were former Tom Clifford, former UND president; Gregory Page, CEO of Cargill; Larry Isaak, past chancellor of higher education in North Dakota; and Jim Stai, district director of the Small Business Administration.

Aerospace dean and former UND football All-American Bruce Smith was the first internal candidate to enter the race. In application materials, he emphasized his ability to move UND to NCAA Division IA athletics ....

Typo, or a larger plan .... :)

Some of the endorsements are seem quite revealing: especially Elbert obtaining Clifford's reference (thought Bruce Smith might have received Clifford's blessing) and Weisenstein getting Kupchella as a reference. Weisenstein, who was a finalist for the Florida Gulf Coast position, also put his name in for Louisiana-Lafayette's president. ULL today did not name Weisenstein as a finalist: ULL finalists

Handicapping UND's internal candidates based on endorsements, Elbert might actually be the favorite to advance as a finalist, followed by Weisenstein, then Smith, then Harmeson / Groenewold.