SiouxSports.com Forum

Candidates for UND President

GeauxSioux

In many ways, this new streak of continuous REA sell-outs contradicts the above statements about the REA. How can we possibly complain about a sold-out arena possibly for the entire year? :lol::blush: Hodgson and Semrau have to be doing some things right and need to be given well-deserved credit. More marketing should be done if the arena wasn't selling out, but with the sell outs, that would be money-spent with little return. With the current REA management's track record, it seems like a good decision to market football and basketball through the REA next year.

REA Tickets are Hot

The Arena (IMO) sells out because of two things the product on the ice and the arena itself....

We are taking about marketing UND and Athletics as a whole, I will just speak towards Athletics how is the attenadance figures in the other sports....? Basketball, Volleyball, Socceer, Swiming....these are all down since REA has taken over marketing. As a memeber of the Fighting Sioux Club and Business Owner (former) we use to get schedules , posters, media guides, and game day promotion schedules. Tell me thel ast half time show, ice period break, or game day promotion that make you attend a event...?

We have now is "Bike" raffles that once again who makes money on and where does it go....?

I wonder with the suite revenue, hockey board advertising, increased ticket prices, more attenadnce and the overall rise in prices of amenities (conncessions, apparel, cost to ride zamboni, cost of B-Day message, cost to tour) In my opinion 7 years ago we got FREE media guides, saw more Game promotions, recived posters and schedules before the seasons began, and in some sports (Basketball) had better attendance......

Just a thought, I realize it was less people, but I wonder if at the Old Ralph if the sold out attendance steak was more than 10 games....?

Anway back on Topic of "New Pesident" sorry to hijack the topic

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree entirely Walrus. In my opinion a lot of the other sports have taken the shaft since REA got put in charge of marketing. The marketing for football is pathetic and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that the REA would not be inclined to market an event at the Alerus Center. I think this can best be illustrated by the UND - Delta State football game a few years back. It was a matchup between two top ten DII teams (at the time) and we couldn't even put together a radio advertising campaign let alone anything for television. Instead we got billboards and television ads for the World Juniors Hockey tournament, an REA event. The REA management has consistently proven that the interests of the REA will come before that of UND and our new leadership will have to draw a much harder line with them in order to right a lot of things in the athletic department.

The Arena (IMO) sells out because of two things the product on the ice and the arena itself....

If that was the case the arena wouldn't be on the verge of setting a record this season (perhaps you missed that part or didn't read the article) for the number of sellouts. Since the arena is nothing new and the team isn't dominating every team.

Rather it is the hard work of the REA staff using their collective heads to finally find solutions to common problems like the article states:

is a change in the student ticket policy.

REA also offered a Black Friday deal for tickets over Thanksgiving weekend

In my opinion a lot of the other sports have taken the shaft since REA got put in charge of marketing. The marketing for football is pathetic and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that the REA would not be inclined to market an event at the Alerus Center. I think this can best be illustrated by the UND - Delta State football game a few years back. It was a matchup between two top ten DII teams (at the time) and we couldn't even put together a radio advertising campaign let alone anything for television. Instead we got billboards and television ads for the World Juniors Hockey tournament, an REA event. The REA management has consistently proven that the interests of the REA will come before that of UND and our new leadership will have to draw a much harder line with them in order to right a lot of things in the athletic department.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the REA has never been tasked with marketing UND football: that was a responsibility the UND AD and Alerus had reserved for themselves. The REA's interaction with football was limited to tickets sales.

The announcement last month seems to recognize the disconnect between the REA and UND athletic marketing, so a better overall strategy can be implemented and skills of some talented individuals at the REA can be more fully utilitzed: Joint operating unit with REA will manage UND athletics marketing functions.

UND athletics is pleased to have the commitment of Ralph Engelstad Arena in this joint venture, which will help us maximize our revenue potential as we move forward with the transition to Division I, said Brekke.

While having REA staff involved in the marketing of UND athletics makes perfect sense when you look at the capacities of both organizations, it can be confusing to the general public, said Jody Hodgson, general manager of Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the REA has never been tasked with marketing UND football: that was a responsibility the UND AD and Alerus had reserved for themselves. The REA's interaction with football was limited to tickets sales.

The announcement last month seems to recognize the disconnect between the REA and UND athletic marketing, so a better overall strategy can be implemented and skills of some talented individuals at the REA can be more fully utilitzed: Joint operating unit with REA will manage UND athletics marketing functions.

October IAC Meeting
Susan Nelson asked if the marketing position was being filled. Betty Ralston said that position would be addressed when the Athletic Director was back in the office.
Obviously the AD never returned to his office. This new venture with REA may turn out better than filling the marketing position. REA is a huge resource.

If that was the case the arena wouldn't be on the verge of setting a record this season (perhaps you missed that part or didn't read the article) for the number of sellouts. Since the arena is nothing new and the team isn't dominating every team.

Rather it is the hard work of the REA staff using their collective heads to finally find solutions to common problems like the article states:

Long visits GF again

Some interesting talk about the AD reporting structure, that's been discussed here many times...

Long was more willing to speak bluntly about other athletics issues, namely the search for a new athletic director.

UND's former athletic director, Tom Buning, resigned in November after leaves of absence totaling about seven weeks. Several months before Buning's departure, Vice President for General Administration Phil Harmeson became his direct supervisor, rather than President Kupchella.

Internal university memos suggest Buning was unhappy with the change in reporting structure, which also has been criticized by athletics supporters as not providing enough cachet for the athletic director of a D-I university.

Becoming more serious, she said: "If you want a short answer, if you're asking should the AD report to the president, the answer is yes.'"

that is interesting about her athletic department comment. I didn't get to stay for the questioning part of either of the candidates so I didn't get a very good impression on either of them Kelley better than Long but I could be wrong. I didn't get a strong feeling towards either one of them, but will continue to give you my thoughts as I attend each session.

Ok, got back just a little bit ago from the third candidate's forum thing. Dr. Phylis Johnson. Overall, I did like her but she seemed to be a bit more concerned with what the faculty and staff of UND thought about her. Not that they aren't important, but she talked about students only a little and students are a vital part of the University. That fact that she has very little academic background in that the other candidates are all deans of a college in a University. She was very nice, but had a lot of very typical politicians answers to some of the questions. It sounded a little bit like she had just asked Kupchella for his answer when it came to the nickname question. I don't believe that she is the strongest candidate nor really one that we would want for our university.

Ok, got back just a little bit ago from the third candidate's forum thing. Dr. Phylis Johnson. Overall, I did like her but she seemed to be a bit more concerned with what the faculty and staff of UND thought about her. Not that they aren't important, but she talked about students only a little and students are a vital part of the University. That fact that she has very little academic background in that the other candidates are all deans of a college in a University. She was very nice, but had a lot of very typical politicians answers to some of the questions. It sounded a little bit like she had just asked Kupchella for his answer when it came to the nickname question. I don't believe that she is the strongest candidate nor really one that we would want for our university.

Thanks for the update and your thoughts! Based on your comments, I would agree that she probably isn't the right person to lead the university! What did she say about athletics?

Johnson listed athletics as one of the areas where she will have the most to learn as a university president. But if she's appointed, Johnson said, she will work hard to gain enough knowledge to make major athletic policy decisions herself, rather than delegating those decisions to others.
Not to make this a one issue decision, but when a school is shifting divisions, the president doesn't need to be learning the ropes insofar as athletics. The president needs to be leading on this issue not learning.

Strictly speaking of the candidates I've met and dealt with during my life or time at UND*, Phyllis Johnson would be my least preferred.

I wish I could've met the candidates from U Wyoming and U Florida to compare to the ones that have some UND history.

* Johnson ran the Human Nutrition "Nut" Lab at UND for a while in the 1980s and 1990s.

Thanks for the update and your thoughts! Based on your comments, I would agree that she probably isn't the right person to lead the university! What did she say about athletics?

not a whole lot, just that she would have to learn as she went along which at this point UND needs a leader that knows about athletics as GeauxSioux was saying

Bruce Smith begins on campus interviews tomorrow....

Just a note, I really think it is worth your while to go greet and meet the man that not only myself, but a lot of Fans, Athletic Staff, Alumni that I come in contact with, agree that would make a outstanding next President of the University of North Dakota....

Good Luck to Bruce Smith and his lovely wife Ann......

Schedule of events for Bruce Smith's interview.

FYI, Dennis Elbert's interview starts on the 24th.

Wow - those are a couple of very full days! It is very difficult to "stay sharp" meeting after meeting but that type of scheudle isn't too different than a college president's normal day!

Based on my limited knowledge of all candidates, I hope Smith is the choice - and not just for athletic reasons! I think he would bring a lot of energy and positive thinking to the University!

Just a note, I really think it is worth your while to go greet and meet the man that not only myself, but a lot of Fans, Athletic Staff, Alumni that I come in contact with, agree that would make a outstanding next President of the University of North Dakota....

I concur with the Walrus. I think Bruce Smith would be an excellent president and his resume says a lot about his impressive career. I have had a chance in the past to meet Bruce and his wife Ann. Both are class acts and very nice people. If you are looking to check out any of the candidates, at the bare minimum you should go see Bruce Smith. If I lived in Grand Forks, I would be at the Memorial Union at 3:30 today to see what Bruce brings to the table. Good luck to Bruce and Ann.

headed to his meet and greet forum thing right now and will give an update when I get back.

headed to his meet and greet forum thing right now and will give an update when I get back.

ok, I really liked Bruce Smith as a candidate.... He seemed to have really thought out his answers and have thought about everything. He mentioned resolving the AD situation and the nickname issue as soon as possible and helping UND in the transition. He also mentioned not making changes so much in the current administration as transitioning from one administration to another. He talked about UND as the ideal university and how to keep it that way....He had mentioned when talking about athletics, the behavior specifically of students at hockey games and I got time to talk to him about it after all the other questions were done and he talked to me about cleaning things up and working with every one to create an atmosphere that wasn't so libraryish (is this a word?). I think that he is a candidate that would work with everyone in this retrospect and help everyone agree. Overall, I liked him and Robert Kelley the best so far, but I will be at Dean Elbert's forum on Thursday and see then.

I thought Bruce did a outstanding job, he was straight forward, honest, sincere, and may I say looked very "Presidential"....

He is one of us, he talks to you in a level that you can understand, he has a pride in UND from long ago to the present, and has a vision of UND in the future.

He will be able to re-solve issues that others may waiver on, and is creditable because he has lived thru alot of the situations that UND is now facing.

I wish Bruce and his lovely wife Ann all the best results in this hire.

I thought Bruce did a outstanding job, he was straight forward, honest, sincere, and may I say looked very "Presidential"....

He is one of us, he talks to you in a level that you can understand, he has a pride in UND from long ago to the present, and has a vision of UND in the future.

He will be able to re-solve issues that others may waiver on, and is creditable because he has lived thru alot of the situations that UND is now facing.

I wish Bruce and his lovely wife Ann all the best results in this hire.

Ditto. I would love to see Bruce Smith get the job.

ok, I really liked Bruce Smith as a candidate.... He seemed to have really thought out his answers and have thought about everything. He mentioned resolving the AD situation and the nickname issue as soon as possible and helping UND in the transition. He also mentioned not making changes so much in the current administration as transitioning from one administration to another. He talked about UND as the ideal university and how to keep it that way....He had mentioned when talking about athletics, the behavior specifically of students at hockey games and I got time to talk to him about it after all the other questions were done and he talked to me about cleaning things up and working with every one to create an atmosphere that wasn't so libraryish (is this a word?). I think that he is a candidate that would work with everyone in this retrospect and help everyone agree. Overall, I liked him and Robert Kelley the best so far, but I will be at Dean Elbert's forum on Thursday and see then.

Sounds like the Bruce Smith I have met in the past. The man is as "down to earth" as they come. He is going to be an outstanding president for academics and athletics. He understands the UND culture and can take this university to places it hasn't seen before. Plus he had a great career playing defensive end for the Buffalo Bills. :D

Bruce Smith would also be the best candidate for the name change issue. I know it isn't in the president's hands to decide, but the issue will fall back on the president. I have come to accept that the name will eventually change. Mr. Smith would best rally all Sioux fans around a new nickname, keeping the major players/stakeholders in the fold. The man bleeds green.