SiouxSports.com Forum

Candidates for UND President

GeauxSioux

It appears as though Mr. Elbert has his work cut out for him, by the looks if this piece on Bruce Smith.

When UND President Charles Kupchella announced his plans to retire early last year, Aerospace Dean Bruce Smith was the first internal candidate to say he wanted the job.

Smith said he would apply for the job in a Herald interview about one day after Kupchella's announcement and has not shrunk from the spotlight since then. In his formal letter of application for the presidency 10 months later, Smith a 1969 UND All-America linebacker addressed the controversy over UND's Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, then the subject of a multimillion dollar legal dispute with the NCAA.

He sure said all the right things.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the Bruce Smith I have met in the past. The man is as "down to earth" as they come. ... He understands the UND culture and can take this university to places it hasn't seen before.

So, would you say Smith is Cliffordian?

So, would you say Smith is Cliffordian?

I just have one not show-stopping, but significant, concern in what I've read* so far about Smith. Would Tom Clifford ever have been as unsubtle as:

If he becomes UND's president, Smith said, he wants the school's next athletic director to report directly to him, and he is not sure if removing athletics from Harmeson's job description still would leave enough responsibilities to justify his vice president title.

That could be read as a significant slight to Kupchella's consigliere. Didn't Phil Harmeson get inserted (not step into, get inserted) into the chain by Kupchella? Didn't he get stuck with the job of fixing the "Buning problem", including reworking Hakstol's contract? That seems somewhat forgotten.

In a similar situation, Clifford would have thought it, planned it, done it when it was his to do, but not said it publicly before it was even in his power. That's a very un-presidential faux pas in an otherwise quite presidential appearance.

It makes me wonder for which eyes and ears Smith intended that for, and why.

* Yes, I'm in the process of reading all of the GF Herald articles, resumes, cover letters, and personal statements. They are on the GF Herald or UND website.

I just have one not show-stopping, but significant, concern in what I've read* so far about Smith. Would Tom Clifford ever have been as unsubtle as:

That could be read as a significant slight to Kupchella's consigliere. Didn't Phil Harmeson get inserted (not step into, get inserted) into the chain by Kupchella? Didn't he get stuck with the job of fixing the "Buning problem", including reworking Hakstol's contract? That seems somewhat forgotten.

In a similar situation, Clifford would have thought it, planned it, done it when it was his to do, but not said it publicly before it was even in his power. That's a very un-presidential faux pas in an otherwise quite presidential appearance.

It makes me wonder for which eyes and ears Smith intended that for, and why.

* Yes, I'm in the process of reading all of the GF Herald articles, resumes, cover letters, and personal statements. They are on the GF Herald or UND website.

I read the response, as you did, as deliberate. It is definitely an answer structured to or for a certain audience.

Ok, sorry this wasn't right after the forum yesterday but I will do my best to remember. Dennis Elbert was a good interview and seemed really nice. He did what Bruce Smith did and got down from the podium for the question/answer period and talked to the people. He told a lot of jokes during his beginning part and talked about his plans if he becomes president. He did say about the athletic department and the nickname that they had to be solved sooner rather than later. He talked a lot about the "ships" of UND like leadership, scholarship, etc. and things like that. I got the chance to talk to him one on one after the question/answer part and asked him about interacting with students and how he planned to make sure that no one felt like they were just a number to UND...he said that he would have lunches in a dining hall or random things like getting out among the people. I also asked him the same thing I asked Bruce Smith about student behavior more specifically at hockey games (note: I only asked this of internal candidates because they would know what I was talking about) and he said that it was a tough question to answer and something that would be key in finding an athletic director that could work with every one. He also said that it was something that should include everyone in the discussion and everyone needed to work together. He then jokingly (i think) said that maybe I could help him come up with a solution to it. He was another good candidate.

My rankings of our candidates in order would be Robert Kelley, Bruce Smith with Dennis Elbert a really close third, Kathleen Long and then Phyllis Johnson. The three men were all really close and any of them would be good. Phyllis Johnson has too many things that worry me about her and neither of the women were that strong of candidates.

The committee is forwarding on 3-4 names to the board so we will see what they decide on Monday I believe is when they are deciding.

Ok, sorry this wasn't right after the forum yesterday but I will do my best to remember. Dennis Elbert was a good interview and seemed really nice. He did what Bruce Smith did and got down from the podium for the question/answer period and talked to the people. He told a lot of jokes during his beginning part and talked about his plans if he becomes president. He did say about the athletic department and the nickname that they had to be solved sooner rather than later. He talked a lot about the "ships" of UND like leadership, scholarship, etc. and things like that. I got the chance to talk to him one on one after the question/answer part and asked him about interacting with students and how he planned to make sure that no one felt like they were just a number to UND...he said that he would have lunches in a dining hall or random things like getting out among the people. I also asked him the same thing I asked Bruce Smith about student behavior more specifically at hockey games (note: I only asked this of internal candidates because they would know what I was talking about) and he said that it was a tough question to answer and something that would be key in finding an athletic director that could work with every one. He also said that it was something that should include everyone in the discussion and everyone needed to work together. He then jokingly (i think) said that maybe I could help him come up with a solution to it. He was another good candidate.

My rankings of our candidates in order would be Robert Kelley, Bruce Smith with Dennis Elbert a really close third, Kathleen Long and then Phyllis Johnson. The three men were all really close and any of them would be good. Phyllis Johnson has too many things that worry me about her and neither of the women were that strong of candidates.

The committee is forwarding on 3-4 names to the board so we will see what they decide on Monday I believe is when they are deciding.

Thanks for the review. From what I've read from the Herald, Smith and Elbert are still my front runners, as they have been since November. Either would be a good president. Kelley didn't give me the impression that he wanted to be at UND long term. I agree that the ladies weren't as strong of candidates as the men.

Does anybody remember whether there were any internal candidates that made the list of finalists when either Baker or Kupchella were hired? I'm just wondering whether Smith and Elbert's chances are more likely helped or harmed by their status as UND grads and deans? I have no idea what to expect from the board, particularly with Paulsen as president.

Does anybody remember whether there were any internal candidates that made the list of finalists when either Baker or Kupchella were hired? I'm just wondering whether Smith and Elbert's chances are more likely helped or harmed by their status as UND grads and deans? I have no idea what to expect from the board, particularly with Paulsen as president.

My fear is that he would deliberately undermine the efforts of others who wish to get the best candidate. I wouldn't trust him.

My thoughts exactly.

I think their needs to be some pressure within the state by UND grads to have Hoeven remove Paulsen from the higher education board. He obviously isn't doing his job if he insists on being Chapman's lacky and should probably be forced to remove himself in from any decisions involving UND given his past allegiances. It's disappointing to see that he's put himself at the forefront of the nickname decision as he obviously doesn't have UND's or the state's best interest at heart.

I think their needs to be some pressure within the state by UND grads to have Hoeven remove Paulsen from the higher education board. He obviously isn't doing his job if he insists on being Chapman's lacky and should probably be forced to remove himself in from any decisions involving UND given his past allegiances. It's disappointing to see that he's put himself at the forefront of the nickname decision as he obviously doesn't have UND's or the state's best interest at heart.

On the bright side, his term is up after this year (appointed from 2004 through 2008). I only hope there's no chance of him being re-appointed. ???

... status as UND grads ...
Johnson is a UND graduate also.

My fear is that he would deliberately undermine the efforts of others who wish to get the best candidate. I wouldn't trust him.
Regarding JQ Paulsen: On this point I am firmly in the camp of "iramurphy".

Johnson is a UND graduate also.

Regarding JQ Paulsen: On this point I am firmly in the camp of "iramurphy".

I do not trust Paulsen either. He has proven that he is a Chapman toadie. If there is a way to get him out of the selection process, I would be for it.

In case people want to know a little more about the members of the board, you can read their bios here. Hopefully between Espegard, Shaft, Martindale and probably Backes (UND law grad), there are enough UND-friendly people to make sure Paulsen doesn't screw this up.

So which NDSU person screwed up the last 2 presidents at UND? Or hired Buning? Some of you are so near sighted you can't see what's under your own nose. Blame all the problems at UND on someone other than the schools leadership. Priceless!

I guess the committee was looking for an outsider. Only Kelley and Long got 3/4's of the committees support during the straw vote of original candidates and only Kelley survived with the committee's rule of 3/4 support.

I, too, feel bad for both Smith and Elbert, as I felt either of them would have been a good president.

Good luck Dr. Kelley.

Or, is it possible that this search committee consisting of 16 people methodically found the best person for the job? Suggesting otherwise really does discredit their work. Take a look at the names on that committee. There are some pretty damn good people on there. How many of you can actually, honestly comment in detail what Dr. Smith's visionary concept for UND is? Why does UND need a UND guy? NDSU is doing very well without a NDSU guy? Can we please give him a chance?