SiouxSports.com Forum

minnesota

Fetch

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about stupid. Don't forget the Illini. They play them in every other sport in the Big 10 conference. But oh wait... it's ok to play conference games (why hockey is still allowed). Explain the logic in that one... Sounds more like a ploy to suck up to the NCAA to me.

Aaron

It's not ok to play UND or Illinois, it's required. The University of Minnesota has no choice to play North Dakota and Illinois in conference games. It has a choice whether to play non-conference opponents. Seems logical.

Is Wisconsin sucking up to the NCAA? Iowa?

It's not ok to play UND or Illinois, it's required. The University of Minnesota has no choice to play North Dakota and Illinois in conference games. It has a choice whether to play non-conference opponents. Seems logical.

Is Wisconsin sucking up to the NCAA? Iowa?

Nothing is required. If morals mean so much, simply forfeit the games.

Nothing makes U of M athletics supporters prouder than having an emasculated Athletic Director like Joel Maturi to showcase to everyone how soft you are. I know a lot of gopher fans wanted to string Maturi up by his nuts over the Glenn Mason deal, well it seems like they will have to find something else to do to Mr. Maturi as they will not find any to string him up with. :lol:

To paraphrase Gopher rube Jeff "puffy" Dubay

"you coward, you pathetic coward"

I just canceled my Gopher football season tickets and sent Maturi a note along with it.

They were getting mighty painful to watch anyway. That, coupled with moving into a minor league

stadium with capacity better suited for the MAC, all funded on taxpayer dollars, was driving the decision.

I would usually pass my tickets off to some young kids anyway, what with road trips to The Ralph.

The latest hypocrisy over the nickname was the last straw. Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.

In fairness to many Gopher fans, they agree that Maturi is generally all wet, and way out of bounds

on this latest weenie move.

Folks, be fair to the Minnesota Lemmiwinks.

This committee set this policy based on what's most important to them, namely, their principles.

Which principle?

They won't play teams with American Indian related monikers unless it brings them big conference game dollars.

See which principle matters most.

I think to ease this burden on Minnesota, it would be the neighborly thing for UND to offer to host all WCHA hockey contests with the Gophers from now on. While it would be an additional expense to host these extra dates, it would be the honorable thing for us to do so that Mariucci is not sullied by the "hostile and abusive" colors. We should also make the same offer to Wisconsin, hostin all future games between the Sioux and Badgers.

Let me start by saying I am a huge gopher hockey fan. This rule is complete joke and shows what a fraud Maturi and the rest of the idiots running that school really are. Maturi is nothing more then a glorified cheerleader, with the only difference being the real cheerleaders have more nuts. My (and many other UMN fans) favorite rivalry in sports is UND vs UMN and this clown messes that up for the masses to kiss up to someone and look PC. I hope you keep your name and mascot to keep sticking it to these PC sissy's like Maturi. I for one will be sending little joe a email as soon as I get off this site. :lol:

The way they looked this year in football let's get Florida State on the schedule. :lol:

Earlier this year, there actually was support on FSU message boards to help out UND in basketball scheduling as a show of solidarity. With Florida State's adamant protection of its Seminole name and its disdain for the NCAA's stance, I would be rather surprised if UND was not on FSU's 2008-9 basketball schedule, with a home game granted to UND in a subsequent year. If FSU does not schedule UND, that would be quite telling.

Let me start by saying I am a huge gopher hockey fan. This rule is complete joke and shows what a fraud Maturi and the rest of the idiots running that school really are. Maturi is nothing more then a glorified cheerleader, with the only difference being the real cheerleaders have more nuts. My (and many other UMN fans) favorite rivalry in sports is UND vs UMN and this clown messes that up for the masses to kiss up to someone and look PC. I hope you keep your name and mascot to keep sticking it to these PC sissy's like Maturi. I for one will be sending little joe a email as soon as I get off this site. :lol:

Such strong backbone words can only come from a closet Sioux fan. Sure, you cheer for the Maroon and Gold now, but your spirit resides elsewhere. Come. Come towards the light. There is peace and serenity in the light. All are welcome...

taz

Gosh, since the Gophers pay an "appearance fee" to IAA schools to go to Mpls, I guess they can choose to schedule whoever they want to schedule.

The Sioux can easily find another DI opponent. No big deal, really.

Minnesota is DI in football? :lol:

Judging from the message boards and media response, it seems very few fans actually support this decision.

I would urge sympathetic Minnesota grads to take the time to write a letter (a real letter carries much more weight than an email) to Maturi and this advisory committee simply noting such.

They are in these positions to represent our interests as stakeholders, and if the fans overwhelmingly want to see North Dakota on the schedule, those opinions could actually affect them. As a Minnesota alum and former non-hockey Gopher season ticket holder, I certainly intend to write such letters.

Judging from the message boards and media response, it seems very few fans actually support this decision.

I would urge sympathetic Minnesota grads to take the time to write a letter (a real letter carries much more weight than an email) to Maturi and this advisory committee simply noting such.

They are in these positions to represent our interests as stakeholders, and if the fans overwhelmingly want to see North Dakota on the schedule, those opinions could actually affect them. As a Minnesota alum and former non-hockey Gopher season ticket holder, I certainly intend to write such letters.

While I am not a UMTC alum, I do hold gopher season hockey tickets and I too will write a letter. This is the last year that I'll have the hockey tickets. It will be worth it not to suffer through hearing that annoying PA guy they have back who says "rah" after the fans say "thank you" when he announces that there's one minute left in the period. The coverage on FSN is great anyway and they show all of the games now except UAA away. Now they even show Mich. Tech away. The next thing you know the NC00 will try to harass my alma matter for calling its players the "Johnnies." I can see a "sexism" allegation in the works there.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a copy of a letter I sent to Mr. Maturi (Gopher's AD)

Dear Mr. Maturi,

I am a resident of Minnesota and of course a long time Gopher fan. I also am a proud father of a son attending UND who is member of the Fighting Sioux baseball team. I can't tell you his disappointment in your announcement that the U of M will not be scheduling sporting events with UND. I feel your decision was hasty and without backbone. I have personally spent time on both campuses and have found racism at the U of M to be far more prevalent than at UND. If you are under the impression that a team name or logo contributes to racism, why is it that a school with a name and logo which could not be threatening to anyone, except maybe professional landscapers :lol: , have far larger issues with racism on their campus. I feel your decision was only to show the NCAA that you are on board with them and ad credence to their absurd position. Keep this in mind while making this decision, today you are not playing teams with native american references. What will it be tomorrow? You may want to add these teams to your list ( Sun Devils, Demon Deacons, Quakers, Crusaders, Friars, Saints, etc....) as individuals observe that the NCAA can force teams to bow to their will, those without religion or of differing religions will be next in line to force the NCAA to address what they find offensive.

Maybe the religous angle is a good angle to take to show the NC00 that they may have bit off more than they can chew!

This is a copy of a letter I sent to Mr. Maturi (Gopher's AD)

Dear Mr. Maturi,

I am a resident of Minnesota and of course a long time Gopher fan. I also am a proud father of a son attending UND who is member of the Fighting Sioux baseball team. I can't tell you his disappointment in your announcement that the U of M will not be scheduling sporting events with UND. I feel your decision was hasty and without backbone. I have personally spent time on both campuses and have found racism at the U of M to be far more prevalent than at UND. If you are under the impression that a team name or logo contributes to racism, why is it that a school with a name and logo which could not be threatening to anyone, except maybe professional landscapers :lol: , have far larger issues with racism on their campus. I feel your decision was only to show the NCAA that you are on board with them and ad credence to their absurd position. Keep this in mind while making this decision, today you are not playing teams with native american references. What will it be tomorrow? You may want to add these teams to your list ( Sun Devils, Demon Deacons, Quakers, Crusaders, Friars, Saints, etc....) as individuals observe that the NCAA can force teams to bow to their will, those without religion or of differing religions will be next in line to force the NCAA to address what they find offensive.

Maybe the religous angle is a good angle to take to show the NC00 that they may have bit off more than they can chew!

Great letter!