SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2006-07 Updates

jk

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember that USHL stats when comparing talent can be skewed sometimes. Remember that Bruneteau and Malone are 17 year olds and the USHL has many 19/20 year olds. For example, if you currently look at the top 5 scorers in the USHL, 4 of the 5 are at least 19 years old. This means that these kids have been in the league longer and have developed. Also, both of them are currently not playing on the best teams either.

The Central Scouting January result is available and Eidsness appears to be the top Sioux recruit at number 7 for North American goaltenders. Brad Malone is the top skater at #63 and is listed in the third round with Ben Blood #78. Bruneteau is listed in round six at #171.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10901&hubname=

The Central Scouting January result is available and Eidness appears to be the top Sioux recruit at number 7 for North American goaltenders. Brad Malone is the top skater at #63 and is listed in the third round with Ben Blood #78. Bruneteau is listed in round six at #171.

It looks like UW (Turris/McDonagh) and UM (White/Hoeffel) beat us again.

We can't forget Lapoint, though.

It looks like UW (Turris/McDonagh) and UM (White/Hoeffel) beat us again.

We can't forget Lapoint, though.

I guess.

I'd rather have players that come in and do well at the college level. I could care less what CSS, ISS, RedLine, or whatever think.

If Minnesota has the #1 recruiting class for the next 100 years, but the Sioux do better on the ice for the next 100 years when it matters compared to Minnesota, I'll take that.

Michigan has had the #1 recruiting class for a long time (or so people say over and over and over again) and really, where has it gotten them? Have they done anything since 1998?

Please, Wheeler was drafted 5th overall and I'm still not impressed with him. Duncan wasn't drafted at all and he's tearing up the joint. Take your pick.

I guess.

I'd rather have players that come in and do well at the college level. I could care less what CSS, ISS, RedLine, or whatever think.

If Minnesota has the #1 recruiting class for the next 100 years, but the Sioux do better on the ice for the next 100 years when it matters compared to Minnesota, I'll take that.

Michigan has had the #1 recruiting class for a long time (or so people say over and over and over again) and really, where has it gotten them? Have they done anything since 1998?

Please, Wheeler was drafted 5th overall and I'm still not impressed with him. Duncan wasn't drafted at all and he's tearing up the joint. Take your pick.

Do you honestly think all these scouting services are geared to projecting how a certain player will perform at the college level??

The Central Scouting January result is available and Eidsness appears to be the top Sioux recruit at number 7 for North American goaltenders. Brad Malone is the top skater at #63 and is listed in the third round with Ben Blood #78. Bruneteau is listed in round six at #171.

I'm excited about Eidsness's ranking. If he merits that ranking on the ice, he should be one of the best goalie recruits for that year.

Just remember that USHL stats when comparing talent can be skewed sometimes. Remember that Bruneteau and Malone are 17 year olds and the USHL has many 19/20 year olds. For example, if you currently look at the top 5 scorers in the USHL, 4 of the 5 are at least 19 years old. This means that these kids have been in the league longer and have developed. Also, both of them are currently not playing on the best teams either.

They better get used to playing against older guys because once they come to UND they will be 19 and 20 year olds playing against 23 and 24 year old players. If these guys are drafted high they won't still be with the Sioux when they turn 23 or 24.

Wheeler was drafted 5th overall and I'm still not impressed with him. Duncan wasn't drafted at all and he's tearing up the joint. Take your pick.

Ryan Duncan - 23 pts in 22 games (this qualifies as "tearing it up")

Blake Wheeler - 27 points in 23 games (this qualifies for "not impressed")

Ryan Duncan - 23 pts in 22 games (this qualifies as "tearing it up")

Blake Wheeler - 27 points in 23 games (this qualifies for "not impressed")

i was just waiting for one of you to partrol this thread and reply :ohmy::) classic

and wheeler has had a solid year along with duncan. just crazy how a player can not be drafted and have better numbers overall than a #5 overall pick. thats college for you. ya just never know............

2 years total, maybe to what he was referring to.......

duncan 16-20=36 (2005-06) + 23 this season for 59 points total

wheeler 9-14=23 (2005-06) + 27 this season for 50 points total

do these mean a thing?? probably not, just wanted to see the totals. both are very solid wcha players. do we know if wheeler was drafted way to high?? we wont know til 4 or 5 years in with the coyotes along with the rest of every other draft pick out there.

The funny thing is Duncan will be here for two more years adding to his career point totals. Meanwhile, poor Blake Wheeler will only have his millions he is earning in the NHL to console him. I hope he is able to live with himself knowing that he didn't have the NCAA stat's that Duncan did. :ohmy:

The funny thing is Duncan will be here for two more years adding to his career point totals. Meanwhile, poor Blake Wheeler will only have his millions he is earning in the NHL to console him. I hope he is able to live with himself knowing that he didn't have the NCAA stat's that Duncan did. ;)

:ohmy: yeah it will be tough for the young lad :)

They better get used to playing against older guys because once they come to UND they will be 19 and 20 year olds playing against 23 and 24 year old players. If these guys are drafted high they won't still be with the Sioux when they turn 23 or 24.

Many guys when they first come to college don't have experience against older guys. Not being anti high school hockey here, but most high school guys don't have much experience competing against older guys when they first get here. That's one of the intents of the USHL is for some elite younger guys to play against older guys, they may not put up the best stats but they have that experience compared to high school guys. So when looking at the talent of the player and if they're going to make an immediate impact when they get here, I don't always feel that stats are the most important thing.

The funny thing is Duncan will be here for two more years adding to his career point totals. Meanwhile, poor Blake Wheeler will only have his millions he is earning in the NHL to console him. I hope he is able to live with himself knowing that he didn't have the NCAA stat's that Duncan did. :)

meam millions after he plays in the AHL for awhile..... :ohmy:

meam millions after he plays in the AHL for awhile..... :ohmy:

I guess I just don't see any NHL team wasting a #5 overall pick in the AHL for a prolonged period of time. Honestly, wheeler would be stupid to even accept a deal like that. If you get drafted that high you do have some bargaining power I would think.

Wheeler's not signing suprised me a lot. I have to believe he was not offered. I believe he is now subjected to the new CBA bonus limitations, but he may get a better chunk via a grandfather clause. No one is going to get rich playing hockey anymore unless they earn it at the NHL level. Doesn't matter who you are or where you were drafted if you can't stick with the big club.

Wheeler's not signing suprised me a lot. I have to believe he was not offered. I believe he is now subjected to the new CBA bonus limitations, but he may get a better chunk via a grandfather clause. No one is going to get rich playing hockey anymore unless they earn it at the NHL level. Doesn't matter who you are or where you were drafted if you can't stick with the big club.

Agreed. However, I have to believe that a team would be a little more patient with a #5 overall draft pick then a player who was taken in the 2nd round or later. Therefore a guy like wheeler might be given the benefit of the doubt vs. a player drafted in the later rounds.

yup yup

That depends on what you're definition of "get rich" is I suppose. If you're comparing them to other professional sports, then no, they won't get rich. But there are players in the AHL making more than 100,000 a year. Thats not too shabby in my book.