SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2006-07 Updates

jk

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blais seemed to do pretty well in 97 with recruits that weren't very highly touted, Jason Blake,Jay Panzer and their version of Duncan , D. Hoogsteen(too small for college hockey)

Exactly! Sometimes it's not too bad to have a few players with something to prove.

If I had the choice I'd take a high draft pick over a late round or undrafted player any day. How many solid NHL players that played college hockey weren't exceptional college players? Not many compared to the number of solid college players that don't pan out in the NHL. If a kid has the talent and ability to be a potential NHL mainstay there is no reason to believe they won't excel at the college game.

Just because a player isn't drafted doesn't mean they can't succeed in the college game, but highly drafted/rated players are on the average far superior to their undrafted counterparts. Obviously college teams aren't composed on all highly drafted players, so the others are extremely critical in rounding out the squad.

Exactly! Sometimes it's not too bad to have a few players with something to prove.

I would add that really there are 3 aspects for having a great team.

1) Recruiting is the most talked about, and as long as you are consistently near the top (not always at the top), you'll be OK.

2) The second is developing players, which I think UND does very well, to take a player like Robbie Bina and take him from a walk on to an key part of the team is huge. I think of of the key differences between UND and other teams who perhaps get more raw talent is that UND can develop players much better.

3) Getting the most out of your players. Make no mistake, UND has never failed to show up for a game big or small (or 3rd place at the WCHAs or against a 4 seed from an unknown conference), there are many cases where a player like Stafford ends up on the 4th line. As Woog said after the Massacre at Mariucci, "tradition is earned."

I think as long as we do OK at #1 (which we are certainly doing and then some), #2 and #3 provide us with a sustained advantage. The 2006 class may have been down a bit, but the 2007 class is top 5 again, and there are some 2006 players that may still show us something. It also doesn't hurt that the 2005 class may have been on of the best in the history of college hockey. :glare:

I would add that really there are 3 aspects for having a great team.

1) Recruiting is the most talked about, and as long as you are consistently near the top (not always at the top), you'll be OK.

2) The second is developing players, which I think UND does very well, to take a player like Robbie Bina and take him from a walk on to an key part of the team is huge. I think of of the key differences between UND and other teams who perhaps get more raw talent is that UND can develop players much better.

3) Getting the most out of your players. Make no mistake, UND has never failed to show up for a game big or small (or 3rd place at the WCHAs or against a 4 seed from an unknown conference), there are many cases where a player like Stafford ends up on the 4th line. As Woog said after the Massacre at Mariucci, "tradition is earned."

I think as long as we do OK at #1 (which we are certainly doing and then some), #2 and #3 provide us with a sustained advantage. The 2006 class may have been down a bit, but the 2007 class is top 5 again, and there are some 2006 players that may still show us something. It also doesn't hurt that the 2005 class may have been on of the best in the history of college hockey. :glare:

What criteria are you using to rank our 07 class "top 5?" In the WCHA? In the nation?

Welcome Matt Frattin to the Fighting Sioux, I wonder what this committment means as far as any other recruits(as per Heisenberg) :lol:

I am still hoping we get NASH.

Here we go, sounds like a sniper plays right wing.

57 games 49 goals and 33 assists for 82 points

I don't know too much about the AJHL, but I know it is a defensive league and I know we got one Mike Commodore from the same team.

http://www.ajhl.ca/teams/fortsask_traders.php

He is a Rookie, leading scorer on the team, third in the league. Team is in first place, also.

http://www.esportsdesk.com/leagues/rosters...playerID=203542

Cannot find where he has signed. Who has that info?

I am assuming that he will be an 08. I would guess that if we get Nash that 1 or 2 of our recruits would be playing another year of juniors (Bruneteau, Frattin or Hextall) depending on early departures. If early departures occur and we don't land Nash, I'd say two for sure if not all three make it on campus next fall. Maybe this was Bishops scholarship. Thoughts?

I like this pickup as well. He sounds like a consistent goal scorer, especially for a rookie in the league.

Between Bruneteau, Malone, Hextall, and Frattin, I wonder which will be here this fall. It will depend on if Toews/Oshie leave early and if we can still land Nash for the 2007 recruiting class as well.

Be honest - when we do have highly rated/highly drafted recruits, we all applaud the coaching staff for doing a great job of recruiting (like 05).

When we don't ...

Umm, no.

I could care less where these recruits are rated in the NHL CSS rankings. It's good to have some of those high drafted players (Toews, Parise, etc), but most of them only stay a year or two. These highly skilled, but not drafted players that the Sioux get that stay 4 years and really lead the team are the ones that I really like to see. The players like Panzer, Duncan, Hoogsteen, etc. It sounds like a few of the current recruits, like Trupp and Frattin, fit that mold nicely. And we still are getting a stud recruit in LaPoint as well.

I think the coaches are doing a fine job in the next couple of recruiting classes...