SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2006-07 Updates

jk

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be honest - when we do have highly rated/highly drafted recruits, we all applaud the coaching staff for doing a great job of recruiting (like 05).

When we don't ...

Duncan wasn't thought of very well by the CSS because they rank them as pro players not college. Jeff Panzer,never drafted but he had an ok career. My point is some great college players never get much love from the NHL

Don't shoot the messenger - MF is unranked by NHL CSS mid term rankings and listed as a "c" player on their players to watch list.

that doesnt mean a whole lot for college. draft status is what the nhl teams think a player will develop into. there are a bunch of awesome college hockey players that are not drafted.

Umm, no.

I could care less where these recruits are rated in the NHL CSS rankings. It's good to have some of those high drafted players (Toews, Parise, etc), but most of them only stay a year or two. These highly skilled, but not drafted players that the Sioux get that stay 4 years and really lead the team are the ones that I really like to see. The players like Panzer, Duncan, Hoogsteen, etc. It sounds like a few of the current recruits, like Trupp and Frattin, fit that mold nicely. And we still are getting a stud recruit in LaPoint as well.

I think the coaches are doing a fine job in the next couple of recruiting classes...

The Sioux will always try to get the top players, even with the risk of flight in 1 or 2 years. Why? Because they are one of the few schools that can get those players. They seem to always be competing with Minnesota, Denver, Wisconsin, Michigan, Maine, BC and BU for the same kids. That is one of the primary reasons that UND is a top program. Do you think that MSUM, UMD and MTU would not love to have Jon Toews, Zach Parise, Phil Kessel and those types of players even if only for 1-2 years?? We are not always going to get them because there are so many factors that determine where a kid may play (location, facilities, coaches, coaching style, etc.), but we should never stop trying to recruit those types of players. I would personally rather have Zach Parise or Jonathan Toews for only 2 years than a 4 year muck and grind player that may get you 10 goals their senior year. However, you need both for a team to be successful and I believe our coaching staff knows that.

I also like the highly skilled smaller players that were passed up purely because of their size like Panzer, David Hoogsteen, Duncan and even Jason Blake. However, other teams are also starting to see the benefits--look at Jordy Christian going to SCSU. He has great hands and a very quick burst and will be a great college player in a few years. SCSU got him because they did not require that he play in the USHL for a year.

The point is that a program cannot only grab players that you think will be around 4 years or you will get burned or end up as a middle-of-the-pack team like MSUM, MTU or AAU. Besides, one of the biggest attractions to UND by top recruits is the fact that so many players go on to the next level and the coaches give them their blessing if they are ready, even if it is only after 2 years of college hockey.

The Sioux will always try to get the top players, even with the risk of flight in 1 or 2 years. Why? Because they are one of the few schools that can get those players. They seem to always be competing with Minnesota, Denver, Wisconsin, Michigan, Maine, BC and BU for the same kids. That is one of the primary reasons that UND is a top program. Do you think that MSUM, UMD and MTU would not love to have Jon Toews, Zach Parise, Phil Kessel and those types of players even if only for 1-2 years??

Yes, I would never want the Sioux coaches to stop trying to get those Blue Chip recruits just because they will only be around for a year or two. You definitely need a mixture of both those Blue Chippahs and the lunch pail players if you want to succeed. And I think the coaches have done a very good job of doing that the last few seasons.

The Sioux will always try to get the top players, even with the risk of flight in 1 or 2 years. Why? Because they are one of the few schools that can get those players. They seem to always be competing with Minnesota, Denver, Wisconsin, Michigan, Maine, BC and BU for the same kids. That is one of the primary reasons that UND is a top program. Do you think that MSUM, UMD and MTU would not love to have Jon Toews, Zach Parise, Phil Kessel and those types of players even if only for 1-2 years?? We are not always going to get them because there are so many factors that determine where a kid may play (location, facilities, coaches, coaching style, etc.), but we should never stop trying to recruit those types of players. I would personally rather have Zach Parise or Jonathan Toews for only 2 years than a 4 year muck and grind player that may get you 10 goals their senior year. However, you need both for a team to be successful and I believe our coaching staff knows that.

I also like the highly skilled smaller players that were passed up purely because of their size like Panzer, David Hoogsteen, Duncan and even Jason Blake. However, other teams are also starting to see the benefits--look at Jordy Christian going to SCSU. He has great hands and a very quick burst and will be a great college player in a few years. SCSU got him because they did not require that he play in the USHL for a year.

The point is that a program cannot only grab players that you think will be around 4 years or you will get burned or end up as a middle-of-the-pack team like MSUM, MTU or AAU. Besides, one of the biggest attractions to UND by top recruits is the fact that so many players go on to the next level and the coaches give them their blessing if they are ready, even if it is only after 2 years of college hockey.

Is Jordy Christian sitting out next year because St. Cloud has him as an 08. You will see Christian in the USHL next year. He chose St. Cloud because he was at some summer camps run by Motzko and he liked his coaching style not because he could play right away.

I like the frattin signing. sounds like a good scorer and a solid 4 year player which we need. i guess we will have to wait and see how he pans out but as of now i like this...

I agree, hence my comment about a week ago that maybe Nash had waited too long and the Sioux went after just as capable an acquaintenance of his instead. They had very similar numbers when they used to play against each other on a regular basis in Midget AAA.

I agree, hence my comment about a week ago that maybe Nash had waited too long and the Sioux went after just as capable an acquaintenance of his instead. They had very similar numbers when they used to play against each other on a regular basis in Midget AAA.

if nash commits the sioux will make room for him next season....

Is the NHL CSS the only benchmark of a good player? If Hakstol,Eades and Jackson think he can play that's enough for me.

Apparently, the answer is yes if you read some of the posts around here. :lol:

Even though Frattin might be an '08 recruit, do you think Hak and Crew are getting impatient with Nash?

im excited to see trupp come in. and as for frattin, i think he will be 08. im getting a little impatient with the nash situation though, and i wouldnt be surprised if goes the MJ route instead.

Of course we all wanted Nash to commit after his visit, but if he needs time, he should take it. I'm sure if he does decide on UND, we will be happy to have him. He is an exciting player that would look very good in Kelly Green.