SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2006-07 Updates

jk

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I am saying in a player like Turris is likely to be in the Parise/Towes class. Trupp is not. CSS does not make many mistakes in the top 10.

...YEAH...and drafts are highly valid predictors of performance in 17 year olds

There are always a few duds. Never say never when it comes to scouting.

Again, I'll point out Duncan.

Where was CSS on Duncan? Trupp is recovering from a serious injury (as far as hockey goes) and is about the size of Spirko.

CSS isn't the determination of how good of a college player a player will be. It is a determination of where he stacks up in the up coming NHL draft. Carmen went in the 7th round and is doing alright for the Gophers. Bochenski went in the 7th round and he did somewhat ok (??? ) for the Sioux.

If you want to use CSS in this capacity though, that's alright. Then I can have an excuse for saying that Duncan, Spirko, Noterman, Spiewak, Bochenski, JPar, Lundbohm, and Goehring were all busts. :glare:

Where was CSS on Duncan? Trupp is recovering from a serious injury (as far as hockey goes) and is about the size of Spirko.

CSS isn't the determination of how good of a college player a player will be. It is a determination of where he stacks up in the up coming NHL draft. Carmen went in the 7th round and is doing alright for the Gophers. Bochenski went in the 7th round and he did somewhat ok (;) ) for the Sioux.

If you want to use CSS in this capacity though, that's alright. Then I can have an excuse for saying that Duncan, Spirko, Noterman, Spiewak, Bochenski, JPar, Lundbohm, and Goehring were all busts. :glare:

And Alexander Daigle is one of the greatest players ever! ???

CSS isn't the determination of how good of a college player a player will be. It is a determination of where he stacks up in the up coming NHL draft. Carmen went in the 7th round and is doing alright for the Gophers. Bochenski went in the 7th round and he did somewhat ok (??? ) for the Sioux.

Duncan's been a great player, helped out by playing with 1st round draft picks this year.

I am not dissing any player, my point is that we have probably 1 blue chip (Lapoint) player out of the last 2 recruiting classes. That's all.

Duncan's been a great player, helped out by playing with 1st round draft picks this year.

I am not dissing any player, my point is that we have probably 1 blue chip (Lapoint) player out of the last 2 recruiting classes. That's all.

CSS had Forney as a "blue chipper" and I hear their seldom wrong.. ???

BTW, I would contend that Malone and Bruneteau (if he comes) are also top end talent.

My point is that "blue chip" is a label attached to players by fans of an organization desperate for talent. For example, Michigan always brings in an entire list of them. So does UW and UMN. Duncan was not a blue chipper. Nor was Lundbohm, JPar, Goehring, and yeah, even Oshie. Someone respond to this post saying that Oshie's draft position AT THE TIME HE WAS DRAFTED wasn't a surprise? Sorry, CSS didn't list Oshie as a "blue chipper." In fact, only a few thought of Oshie as even ready for DI hockey last year to begin with!

CSS is a crock unless you are an NHL fan. If so, then go to the NHL fan boards or HFBoards and crow there.

blue chip

Function: noun

1 a : a business or undertaking with an outstanding record or likelihood of profitability b : a stock issue of high investment quality that usually pertains to a substantial well-established company and enjoys public confidence in its worth and stability; also : a company that offers such stocks

2 : one that is outstanding: as a : an outstandingly worthwhile or valuable property or asset b : an athlete rated as excellent or as an excellent prospect

- blue-chip adjective

I would have to say that UND has had quite a few of these the last 3-4 years. Just my humble opinion.

I would have to say that UND has had quite a few of these the last 3-4 years. Just my humble opinion.

I don't think thats fair in terms of hockey "blue chippers." There are only a few blue chip recruits every season. Last season these were they only two in my opinion.

Kyle Okposo, and Erik Johnson.

Next season the only "blue chippers" are Kyle Turris and James Van Riemsdyk.

My point is that "blue chip" is a label attached to players by fans of an organization desperate for talent. For example, Michigan always brings in an entire list of them. So does UW and UMN. Duncan was not a blue chipper. Nor was Lundbohm, JPar, Goehring, and yeah, even Oshie. Someone respond to this post saying that Oshie's draft position AT THE TIME HE WAS DRAFTED wasn't a surprise? Sorry, CSS didn't list Oshie as a "blue chipper." In fact, only a few thought of Oshie as even ready for DI hockey last year to begin with!

CSS is a crock unless you are an NHL fan. If so, then go to the NHL fan boards or HFBoards and crow there.

So what other data points do you use to rank a recruiting class objectively if you ignore CSS rankings?

So what other data points do you use to rank a recruiting class objectively if you ignore CSS rankings?

Probably more benefit of the doubt. If the coach likes him and recruits him, gives him a schollie, that's good enough for me.

Perhaps there will be scouting reports that state what kind of player he is.

I generally ignore anything and everything having to do with the NHL. The Sioux aren't in the NHL.

I knew Duncan was a goal scorer when I saw him play for Shattuck at the Ralph. I knew Chorney and Toews were special because I saw them play as well.

The CSS is a nice reference tool to see where the player is projected as a 17 year old to be worth by the NHL scouts, but it doesn't always indicate how good a player he will be in college.

You hit it right on there. Although I enjoy looking at the NHL CSS rankings, it doesn't prove how good a player or a recruit class is going to be. I don't have the link, but Lucia hit it right on in an interview when he said that being drafted means two things: first an NHL team feels you have great ability and second you have more media hype when getting to college, however, it doesn't mean your going to be a good player. There are recruits (not going to mention names) that were drafted high and haven't produced as much and there are some recruits (not going to mention names) that were drafted low or not drafted at all that have produced more.

You hit it right on there. Although I enjoy looking at the NHL CSS rankings, it doesn't prove how good a player or a recruit class is going to be. I don't have the link, but Lucia hit it right on in an interview when he said that being drafted means two things: first an NHL team feels you have great ability and second you have more media hype when getting to college, however, it doesn't mean your going to be a good player. There are recruits (not going to mention names) that were drafted high and haven't produced as much and there are some recruits (not going to mention names) that were drafted low or not drafted at all that have produced more.

Guys like Jason Blake come to mind, not drafted now having an awesome professional career.