SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2006-07 Updates

jk

What I find more encouraging from LaPoint is that he is fresh out of high school and has not had any delay in picking up the pace of the game. Most newcomers to the USHL and college for that matter have a period of adjustment while they adapt to the new speed and flow of the game. LaPoint has jumped right in and been productive. His +/- keeps getting better, his penalties are low, which suggests he is disciplined and intelligent, and his keeps putting points on the board. I think he is going to be a tremendous player and have some immediate impact next year.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find more encouraging from LaPoint is that he is fresh out of high school and has not had any delay in picking up the pace of the game. Most newcomers to the USHL and college for that matter have a period of adjustment while they adapt to the new speed and flow of the game. LaPoint has jumped right in and been productive. His +/- keeps getting better, his penalties are low, which suggests he is disciplined and intelligent, and his keeps putting points on the board. I think he is going to be a tremendous player and have some immediate impact next year.

So basically it appears that UND got a pretty nice recruit for next season.

Sounds like the Sioux got a heck of a recruit in LaPoint. I look forward to seeing him next year.

With Marto, is he on a crappy team or something? Sounds like he is still a smooth skater and doing well defensively, but I'm just wondering why he's not putting up that many points, even just assists.

Brian, no one on the Omaha team is generating stats right now. These are the scores of their games so far this year:

1-8

2-3

6-2

0-4

0-4

3-4

0-4

12-29 total in 7 games.

Who knew getting outscored 13-9 and going 1-2 in the first 3 games would turn out to be the glory days? Of course it's fair to ask whether Marto is part of the problem, and without seeing games I would have no idea. (Heck, I wouldn't have an idea even if I could see the games.)

At the risk of developing a perception without having seen him play, perchance LaPoint will be a similar style player to Brian Lee. Slick skating, mobile defenseman with good size and offensive skill, but maybe not a bruising style. Nothing wrong with that if they are effective.

Brian, no one on the Omaha team is generating stats right now. These are the scores of their games so far this year:

12-29 total in 7 games.

Who knew getting outscored 13-9 and going 1-2 in the first 3 games would turn out to be the glory days? Of course it's fair to ask whether Marto is part of the problem, and without seeing games I would have no idea.

From the sounds of riders06 review of Marto's play, he appears to be one of their best dmen, but I am not sure how good that is with how many goals they are giving up. He might be a player that we have to wait until we see him next year to compare.

At the risk of developing a perception without having seen him play, perchance LaPoint will be a similar style player to Brian Lee. Slick skating, mobile defenseman with good size and offensive skill, but maybe not a bruising style. Nothing wrong with that if they are effective.

I would take that as well! :)

From the sounds of riders06 review of Marto's play, he appears to be one of their best dmen, but I am not sure how good that is with how many goals they are giving up. He might be a player that we have to wait until we see him next year to compare.

I would take that as well! :)

LaPoint should be solid. Not sure how physical he is but that may come in time. As for Brian Lee, I think he can raise his game a couple of notches. He needs to be the anchor of the d corps.

I saw a SF Stampede game last weekend. Malone looks to be pretty big and strong with hard shot. He embraced his role as a fighter taking on some kid from Des Moine in a very choriographed bout to give the locals something to cheer about. If he works on it he could sport the Commodore red afro.

1-8

2-3

6-2

0-4

0-4

3-4

0-4

12-29 total in 7 games.

Who knew getting outscored 13-9 and going 1-2 in the first 3 games would turn out to be the glory days? Of course it's fair to ask whether Marto is part of the problem, and without seeing games I would have no idea. (Heck, I wouldn't have an idea even if I could see the games.)

I think an interesting stat with Marto is that he leads the team in shots. To me this shows he has adjusted well and is likely getting a lot of pp time.

Also interesting is Tyler Jundt, who played for Williston HS last year. He appears to be paired with LaPoint, at least on the pp. I did not see much of him since he played for Williston, but it is very impressive that he adjusted to the USHL so quickly. I would think he is the first ever legitimate D1 hockey recruit out of Williston.

Sounds like the Sioux got a heck of a recruit in LaPoint. I look forward to seeing him next year.

With Marto, is he on a crappy team or something? Sounds like he is still a smooth skater and doing well defensively, but I'm just wondering why he's not putting up that many points, even just assists.

there are alot of things that could contribute to that too...like the system that they use, maybe crappy players(besides marto), how many penalties...so on and so forth.

I've always said, that If LaPoint played in the cities, like Fischer from Apple Valley, that he would have been drafted as high, or higher then David.

PENTICTON WOLVES

hextall, 17 games, 7-11=18 pts. 78 penalty minutes which leads team

trupp, now he is listed playing 0 games so whats going on with him??

marto, 8 games. 0-1=1 pt, USHL, OMAHA

lapoint,6 games, 3-6=9 pts, USHL, GREEN BAY

Trupp is still rehabing from a last playoff season shoulder injury (requiring off-season surgery). He is expected to return to the lineup mid to late November.

He was expected to be among the point leaders in the BCHL this year. Things are looking up for Penticton since they are leading the division without him.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/146929/thre...161900775/Trupp

A Penticton fan's take on Trupp:

With the new rules where he can't be mauled or hooked or interfered with, he should rule the league. He was a a little small last year and he was basically hog-tied everytime he was on the ice, and he still managed to have a very productive year, especially for a rookie. He's without a doubt the most skilled, crafty forward in the league. Pretty much everybody I've talked to (Fans of an assortment of teams, not just the Vees) says the same thing. That kid can do pretty amazing things with the puck! Check out a Vees practice sometime! He's always doing something new that baffles me.

From Brad's blog.

Penticton Vees coach Bruno Campese said that Evan Trupp should be cleared to return to the ice for Penticton's home game against Merritt on November 17.

Marto and LaPoint's teamed played a two game series this weekend. Both of them looked to have good weekends.

LaPoint had 1 goal on 4 shots and +/-0 on Friday, and added 2 goals on 3 shots and a +2 on Saturday

Marto had 4 shots, 2 PIM, and a +/-0 on Friday, while he had a goal on 2 shots with a -1 rating on Saturday

Malone's team plays tonight and Monday, so we shall see how he does.

Both Marto and LaPoint continue to impress me, Marto has started solid this year, compared to last year where he took some time to adapt. LaPoint has come out strong and keeps adding to it, can't wait to see these guys next year.

Evan Trupp - Penticton and BCHL Sites

BCHL LINK PENTICTON LINK

Jake Marto - Omaha and USHL Sites

USHL LINK OMAHA LINK

Derrick LaPoint - Green Bay and USHL Sites

USHL LINK GREEN BAY LINK

Danny Kristo - USNDP Under 17

USNDP U-17 LINK NAHL LINK

lets add

Brad Malone, Sioux Falls, USHL

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/player...p;seasonid=1336

Brett Hextall,Penticton, BCHL

http://bchl.bc.ca/leagues/rosters_profile....playerID=238216

Mike Cichy, NTDP team U17

http://www.usahockey.com/ntdp/17u/main/060..._u17_schedule//

STATS link for kristo and chichy as well

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/teampl...p;seasonid=1406

During last night's intermission between the 2nd and 3rd period, Tim Hennesy was interviewing some official (I never did catch who he was or in what capacity he served) from the USHL and he positively gushed about LaPoint. Among the things he said was that LaPoint was among the top 5 USHL plsyers right now and that he would for sure be an impact player for UND when he steps in.

I am not sure if UND was looking at him, or if he was looking at UND at all, but i just heard from a friend of mine (NC State's club hockey captain) that a guy named Warsofsky just signed a LOI with BU. He is a sophomore still, but my friend's best friend is his older brother. Anyways, not sure if this is any relevance here, but thought I'd share

I am not sure if UND was looking at him, or if he was looking at UND at all, but i just heard from a friend of mine (NC State's club hockey captain) that a guy named Warsofsky just signed a LOI with BU. He is a sophomore still, but my friend's best friend is his older brother. Anyways, not sure if this is any relevance here, but thought I'd share

not many kids from out east make it past the big time hockey east schools but we did nab chichy :blush: yeah, this thread is for commited UND recruits though