SiouxSports.com Forum

UND-UNI Game Thread

bincitysioux

:D Wow!!! Just got home after dinner out after listening to the first half and worrying the whole time. Reading this board as play by play was (almost) as exciting as listening to the game! I was yelling to my wife every time when I read that the Sioux scored and moaning when UNI did. Whatever, thanks to Sioux fans for this thread and a big CONGRATS to Dale and the team.

p.s. SiouxMD - Keep healthy! I and my family are so proud of what you and the rest of our forces are doing over there.

Quotes from the Post-Game:

Link to game story on UNI website: UNI Website

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how many season tickets did UND sell today? Will there be alot more people at the Winona game because of this game now?

I would certainly like to think the Al will be full next week. Potato Bowl usually almost guarantees 10,000, and the excitement and publicity of today's win, plus a pretty decent opponent, should be good for another 2000 or so.

I've followed Ryan Chappell's football career since his sophomore year at Central, and although his ability is quite apparent to anyone who's seen him play, I honestly didn't think he'd see the field much this year except for on returns. Hopefully today was just a hint of what's to come. His speed out of the backfield could be such a big weapon.

Just got back from the Twins game. (which was also fun, Boooooof! Booooooof!)

You guys collectively deserve a SS.com Hall of Fame Thread nomination. I'm laughing, I'm crying, I piffed my pants, .... one for the ages.

Would like to hear from anyone who saw it in person - must have been something special to be there.

Congrats Sioux!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking Montana was ranked about 3rd when NDSU beat them. Hopefully the Sioux will take a lesson from the Bison missing the playoffs that year and the need to set this game aside and focus on the rest of the year. Let's face it, if a team beats us now, they will be pretty excited themselves, because of who the Sioux beat.

It is a pretty exciting win, but really I tend to agree with Lennon's philosophy of acting like you expect it. I think there were/are a lot of people who believe that the higher ups in DII could compete well with DIAA elite teams. The thing with more scholarships is that you have a better opportunity to hit on those diamonds in the rough that are inevitable in each recruiting class. We have quite a few of those now, so to be able to add those scholarships down the road will only give us more of those weapons.

I had a feeling the Sioux would be competitive, but when you are talking about elite teams in each division, the chance of winning on their home field isn't huge. See Grand Valley State the last few times, once in their house, and once in ours. Beating UNI on their home field is a big accomplishment, just as it would have been to beat Grand Valley on their field last year. I would have been more confident in the Sioux beating UNI if the game would have been at the Alerus. As it stands, it turned out to be a great win that the Sioux will be able to feed off of for future success in recruiting and on-field endeavors. As fans, lets celebrate it for more than the 24-hour celebration period the Sioux players get, but once Winona rolls around, let's not live in the past. Hopefully then, the Sioux will be able add to their DII legacy before they move on to DIAA, and hopefully the NCAA will be put on hold and the Sioux can host some more playoff games at the Alerus. They still have a season full of games to play first though.

That was FUN!! People that didn't go really missed out. Free beer with the alumni function. I believe we went into 6 or 7 kegs. A very good number of Sioux fans, but in all honesty I was expecting more. Filled over a section at the game.

Our fans did a great job of cheering and didn't stop throughout the game. The game itself had a lot of big exciting plays even though neither team really went for the long bomb. Both teams had great speed on offense and I'm very impressed that our D stood up to the challenge. UNI didn't play bad at all except on D at the end of the game. Let's not forget that we were on the short end of turnovers with a fumble on the goal line and a punt being blocked. We overcame both.

Crazy ending with four TD's in last 5 minutes. Didn't expect that at all.

This game ranks right behind winning the title.

That was FUN!! People that didn't go really missed out. Free beer with the alumni function. I believe we went into 6 or 7 kegs. A very good number of Sioux fans, but in all honesty I was expecting more. Filled over a section at the game.

Some very complimentary words about Sioux fans from a UNI poster on Anygivensaturday.com:

Gotta hand it to North Dakota. Played solid and beat UNI in the UNI-Dome. They also brought more fans than I have ever seen from an opposing school in the UNI-Dome. Very impressive.

P.S.

North Dakota fans were fantastic. Very classy and enthusiastic in supporting their team.

UND fans were a treat to have in the Dome.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13449

That one Bison fan seems a bit grumpy over the UND win. :D

Sure does, doesn't he. :D

Also, thought this was a rather cool post on Panthernation:

http://www.panthernation.com/showpost.php?...p;postcount=115

UND fans are pretty cool before and after the games, but during games they'll want your heart just like any good team or fans should. NDSU, that's another story. They talk smack like they're freaken Notre Dame or Miami. OOO, they beat Wisconsin.

My Thoughts on the games after returning from Cedar Falls, IA:

The thing I love about making road trips, especially longer ones, is that you only get the true "die-hard" fans at the games. Yes, there weren't as many people in the stands as I had hoped, but every UND in the building was screaming and yelling the entire game. I'm only 23, but that was probably the 3rd-4th best game i've ever been apart of. Beating NDSU in '93 was my #1, winning the nickel for the final time against NDSU, and possibly the UC-Davis play-off game in 2001. Other than those 3 games, we had the loudest/most passionate 200 fans in the building.

Other Thoughts:

Our offense took a HUGE step forward yesterday. We put 35 points on the board in only 23 minutes...Amazing statistic, minus the negative effect it had on our defense by them having to play nearly 37 minutes in a "sauna" aka the UNI-Dome. In years past, it seemed like we'd be content almost to a point with getting within field goal range and then pulling on the reins of the offense. The whole game we went for plays, getting 9 plays of 17 yards or more. We never settled, always had the foot on the gas. We pressured them, but yet were composed all the time. We never got down. When we lost the lead, every offensive player had "the look" in their eyes and you knew they were gonna score. It was almost magical in a sense. The defense looked worn out by the middle of the 4th quarter, could have been because of the amount of time on the field, the temperature inside, or just the 2nd game of the year and not being into complete game shape yet.

Other than that, we will have an explosive offense for the next couple years with Chappel and Strouth in the back field and Dressler at WR. It put so much pressure on the UNI defense the entire, they never let up. Our speed was scary on offense. Our defense created pressure/havoc in the last 2-3 possessions while only rushing 3-4 guys. We could be in for a treat at the end of this year.

Let's get ready for Winona State now.

Putting the bat-signal out to SiouxMeNow. I hope he gets drunk and posts some quality smack later.

Thanks for considering my late-night (AGAIN, because of my SCHEDULE!) diatribes "quality smack!"

I consider that a compliment. My spelling is impeccable (try to do that with 4-5 beers under your belt!) but I do have to say my hatred of anything NDSU is purely in my soul. :D

I sincerly appreciate the kudos posted by Bison fans here for our big win over UNI and by and large, I have no problem with them - but if you'd like a taste of the darkside...check out the "smack" forum here...

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=smack

I think you'll find, they're as vicious as I can be! I just choose to swing my sword NORTH of Hillsboro for the green and white! Here is the best news of the week though...

UND - 35

uni - 31 :0;)

(Personally - I'm happy as hell we could strike a blow for the pride of Division II football! Even though we're leaving, I really get tired of "some people" saying di-aa is SO MUCH better that D2...not true then...not true now!...and we just proved it!!!!! :D

I thought this quote was pretty funny, it is from the Panther nation message board.

Where was Mankato St? Minn-Duluth? The drubbing of the Sioux? Instead a huge punch in the stomach. My 3 yr old son kept calling them Notre Dame, and at times it felt like it.

Also from Panthernation.com

"I've seen quite a few D2 teams play in the UNI-Dome, and UND didn't look remotely like any of those. I think they could play with almost any Gateway school and give them a game. Anyone who didn't see that game will assume UNI lost to a bunch of under-sized, inferior athletes. That was not the case. Those boys could do battle with the great majority of 1-AA."

I'm sure there were Sioux fans who did the same thing when the Bison beat Montana, but why are there so many NDSU people who are dismissing this game? It only makes them look like complete tools. Both games were huge wins, anyone who tries to say one is big than the other is either blinded by their hatred of the other school or just being silly.

I'm sure there were Sioux fans who did the same thing when the Bison beat Montana, but why are there so many NDSU people who are dismissing this game?
Not here. Every single Sioux fan in this thread was pulling for the Bison, said it was a huge win for the program, and gave congrats. (Contrast OETKB's "controversial" post in that thread and Tony's reaction with what we're seeing today!).

The funny thing is that those fans trying to dismiss UNI after this game are the very ones who predicted that an insurmountable talent gap between UND and I-AA would allow UNI to score at will, guaranteeing a blowout that would teach UND how big the gap between II and I-AA is. It's not surprising that some are having troubles coping with being the ones who learned something on Saturday.

anyone who tries to say one is big than the other is either blinded by their hatred of the other school or just being silly.
Anyone arguing that theirs is bigger than yours on a message board is probably somewhat insecure about how big yours is. :D

I certaintly don't dismiss it. It was a truely historic win and a win that says UND really needs to be in DI-AA. No question that the Sioux are ready to move up. I think most of us feel that way. There are always a few nay sayers on either side, but the bulk of the fans realize what a great day that was for you team and your fans. We have had our similar days with Montana and Wisconsin.

I'm sure there were Sioux fans who did the same thing when the Bison beat Montana, but why are there so many NDSU people who are dismissing this game? It only makes them look like complete tools. Both games were huge wins, anyone who tries to say one is big than the other is either blinded by their hatred of the other school or just being silly.

hmmmmmm....

There are pots and kettles on both sides, agree? And there are only a few NDSU fans dismissing this game, many have given their props to UND and are impressed with what they accomplished.