SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Head Men's Basketball Coaches

choyt3

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My uninformed choice is Brian Jones from Iowa. I read his bio and liked what I read.

There's probably only one of us on this board in a position to know much about Jones, and this doesn't exactly fill me with confidence:

Brian Jones is a joke, I have seen him many times and talked with him several times, he was let go by Alford at Iowa, and not many around here like Alford so what does that tell you, if he even gets an interveiw thats not good.

The four candidates interviewing on campus next week include:

- Monday, May 15 -- Steve Weemer, former assistant coach at Eastern Illinois University

- Tuesday, May 16 -- Randall Herbst, associate head coach at UND

- Wednesday, May 17 -- Brian Jones, director of basketball operations at the University of Iowa

- Thursday, May 18 -- Tom Brown, assistant coach at Winona State University

Steve Weemer........she is formerly from E. Illimois...NICE

This is a DII list. :0 If this is the case, Craig Smith should have an interview.

Will there be a DI list after the Big Sky meetings?

Each of the candidates will meet the public at the Betty at 6:30 of the day of their interview. I am a couple of thousand miles away so I can't be there. I would certainly welcome comments from those who are able to attend.

Given the list of finalists, the "meet the public" phase of this search could just as easily take place in a phone booth. I was giving everyone the benefit of the doubt up until this afternoon. Closed circuit to the search committee: If you wish to draw 800-1,000 people per game to the Betty, stay on the current course. Another thing, count me in the camp that finds it deeply troubling that Herbst is a finalist, but Craig Smith is not getting an interview.

I just heard the news... UNBELIEVABLE... NOT EVEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO INTERVIEW FOR CRAIG SMITH!?!?!? Let's look at Craig Smith's resume: 4 National Tournaments, 2 Elite Eights... 2 years as a head coach and 2 National Tournaments and an Elite Eight, turning around one of the worst programs in the country... WOW... BUT NOT QUITE GOOD ENOUGH FOR EVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO INTERVIEW AT UND!?!?!? Not to mention EASILY THE MOST QUALIFIED LOCAL GUY... OBVIOUSLY LOCAL TIES MEAN NOTHING TO UND ANYMORE...

When this all began, I never thought I'd be pulling for Herbst. :0 Jones is the most intriguing of the four candidates, and I think he's got my vote. People need to settle down about Craig Smith. I think he has enormous potential, but after thinking long and hard about it, I don't think he is ready for this job. He has done exactly the same thing at Mayville St. that Tim Miles did, were we all clamoring to get Miles to UND in some capacity at that time?

Given the list of finalists, the "meet the public" phase of this search could just as easily take place in a phone booth. I was giving everyone the benefit of the doubt up until this afternoon. Closed circuit to the search committee: If you wish to draw 800-1,000 people per game to the Betty, stay on the current course. Another thing, count me in the camp that finds it deeply troubling that Herbst is a finalist, but Craig Smith is not getting an interview.

From what I heard Herbst was going to automatically be a finalist just because so many people (Glas, the players ...) have recommended him. Whether he is a legitimate candidate is up for discussion.

I think an under-the-radar "Craig Smith" kind of candidate is Tom Brown from Winona State. He is a big part of their success and is an up and coming star. He's got the DII National Championship credential and brings that youthful enthusiasim that this program could use.

So the high school coach gets a interview because Betty Ralston said he has a good work eithic??? what is that......also good luck going D1 and going back and asking these alums for any sort of future help to the athletic program....brilliant!!!

Director of Basketball Operations? that guy doesn't even coach on the floor or recruit. tom Brown is the man

He does, or has been, coaching on the floor. He was named Dirictor of Basketball Operations after this last season was over. Link. Isn't Rich Glas going to be Director of Basketball Operations at UNI?

He does, or has been, coaching on the floor. He was named Dirictor of Basketball Operations after this last season was over. Link. Isn't Rich Glas going to be Director of Basketball Operations at UNI?

Glas is actually associate head coach at UNI. link. Of the four finalists, IMO Brown is the one most likely to be a future star as a head coach. I would prefer him over the other three finalists. I'm just still trying to figure out how Smith, Johnson, Fuller, Jaskowski, etc. didn't warrant interviews over Jones and Weemer, in particular. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Glas is actually associate head coach at UNI. link. Of the four finalists, IMO Brown is the one most likely to be a future star as a head coach. I would prefer him over the other three finalists. I'm just still trying to figure out how Smith, Johnson, Fuller, Jaskowski, etc. didn't warrant interviews over Jones and Weemer, in particular. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Could it be $$. Maybe they wanted more than UND is willing to pay and said thanks, but no thanks. Obviously I'm only guessing.

Could it be $$. Maybe they wanted more than UND is willing to pay and said thanks, but no thanks. Obviously I'm only guessing.

It could have been a factor with some of them, but as for Johnson, for example, I can't imagine Fort Hays State pays better than UND. And this five-year NCAA experience thing was stupid, to say the least. Sleeping on this hasn't made me any less upset, unfortunately.

I'm telling you if, Brian Jones is the best that we can do things will not go forward, why do you think he was moved on Alford's staff to director of operations.

There has to be more to the story than we all know or the list of interviews would be different. To me this list looks like a sure thing that we will be staying D2 for some time, if the transition was to begin the list would be different, that's my guess.

The former eastern illinois ast doesn't fit and seems very fishy.

As some have stated, NDSU didn't hire Tim Miles right from Mayville State either. I think, however, that somewhere down the road, UND might think back and wish that their "criteria" would have allowed them to give Craig Smith a shot.

When this all began, I never thought I'd be pulling for Herbst. :0 Jones is the most intriguing of the four candidates, and I think he's got my vote. People need to settle down about Craig Smith. I think he has enormous potential, but after thinking long and hard about it, I don't think he is ready for this job. He has done exactly the same thing at Mayville St. that Tim Miles did, were we all clamoring to get Miles to UND in some capacity at that time?

You should have been!

When the Mens basketball job was opened up were the five year experience and the Masters qualifications listed on the requirements? What did the advertisement look like? I was just wondering why some of these people even applied if they didn't even fit the specs for the job anyway(for example Smith from Mayville).

I find it interesting that everyone is so sure that they screwed up royaly. How many actually know much about all of these candidates? It is possible they screwed up, but I would be willing to bet that no matter who they pick and who they could have picked that everyone will be saying that they should have picked someone else if the Sioux are losing anyways. Just remember that sentiment was that the powers that be screwed up by choosing Gino Gasparini over Ned Harkness. Gasparini only turned the hockey program into a perennial powerhouse. I hope that whoever they pick will have at least some support and a window to make the changes they deem necessary to make the Sioux contenders in the region and nationally every year -- that is if they stay DII.