SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Head Men's Basketball Coaches

choyt3

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had not realized until that Forum article that Jay Spoonhour applied for the UND job. He's my odds-on favorite - he'd be awesome for the program and would instantly grant UND men's basketball respect. Here's what the Las Vegas Sun said about him when he was the UNLV interim:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/.../516508721.html

As for the fuzzy part, somebody should fit Jay Spoon for a mohair sweater. Not only have the Rebels peformed well (like you knew they could?) under his watch -- they are 4-2 with the two losses, to Air Force and Brigham Young, the MWC's two best teams, by a combined three points -- but he has handled a difficult situation with aplomb, class and dignity.

If Spoonhour doesn't go on to be become a head coach, he's got a future as a hostage negotiator. Or a clinical psychologist. Before he took over, you would have thought that if anybody could get the mercurial James Peters to contribute to the cause, it would have to be one of those guys with a beard, patches on the elbows of a tweed jacket and a long, leather sofa in his office.

But Spoonhour should go on to become a head coach, if not in Las Vegas, then somewhere else. Of course, it won't be in Las Vegas, but maybe it should. Since Teaspoon took over, the Rebels are averaging 82 points per game with a running and gunning style remiscent of the Rebels of Tarkanian past. Or the Raid on Entebbe.

My prediction is that the next time we'll hear from him is when some little-known program from the Pariot or Metro Atlantic Conference gets around to naming its new men's basketball coach.

They could do a lot worse than Jay Spoonhour, the guy who has put a magic bullett in the Rebels' attack.

Here's what the Springfield, Mo, paper, where his dad Charlie was a legendary coach, has to say:

Finding a Job is All About Timing

Please, please hire Jay. Jay, please accept!

I am practically speechless that someone of Spoonhour's quality could be available. Add a local assistant or two, and the UND men's basketball program would be on its way!!

A few more links:

Scout: Spoonhour to take SEMO job?

Spoonhour became an impressive symbol of the Missouri basketball program early this season when he handled the post-game commentary duties for former head coach Quin Snyder. Spoonhour's straight-forward analysis and ability to communicate smoothly quickly made him a Missouri fan favorite this season.

Along with his broadcasting duties, Spoonhour was involved with various administrative tasks, such as scouting and recruiting video coordination, and assisting the coaching staff.

Las Vegas Weekly

Jay Spoonhour is a young coach of extraordinary ability, one capable of building a program characterized by both excellence and integrity.

Coaches at this level almost always bring an entire new staff to a program. Whoever gets the job will not hire people that they do not know and will not take the job if told who they will hire as assistants ( see Tim Miles and UNC-Wilmington )

Probably a blinding glimpse of the obvious, but I've gotta believe Spoonhour's interest in the job is contingent on a future D-I move. He is also rumored to be on the mix at K-State to join Huggins as the Director of Basketball Operations.

Coaches at this level almost always bring an entire new staff to a program. Whoever gets the job will not hire people that they do not know and will not take the job if told who they will hire as assistants ( see Tim Miles and UNC-Wilmington )

Miles was never told who to hire for assistants, I guarantee it!

Spoonhour would be a dynamic personality and potentially a good hire.

To limit their pool based on not enough years of DII or DI experience is amazing. So what the committee is saying is this: Hey, the coach at East DI State University with a five year record as a head coach of 48-99 is more qualified than a guy like Smith and his success at Mayville. To be honest, if Smith was applying for a DII job in Texas, he may not even get consideration. But he shouldn't have to apologize for local familarity and recognized success! The bottom line is that he has demonstrated success in a classy manner and folks, all I can say is the manner in which something is done IS relative and can certainly be applied to the next level!

It will be an absolute shame if Smith gets snubbed because of some ridiculous screening process set up to make it easier on the committee. Go ahead and tell Smith he isn't qualified and watch the fans go crazy when he brings Mayville or Bemidji to GF and beats the Sioux again!

Another candidate worth looking at is the Assistant from Winona. Yeah Yeah Yeah don't mess with the dumb stuff about UND being above that. If you think about it, if an assistant from Gene's staff had wanted the Winona women's job after one of the national titles everyone would say it would make perfect sense! Don't argue with reason and logic by using image and emotion!

I also think it is amazing people are drooling over Spoonhour based on things written or heard about him. Now I have absolutely nothing against him and he may be the best guy for the job, but read some of the comments on this board... it is probably what Buning and his assistant are saying while Roebuck rolls his eyes! I just hope they give some qualified local candidates some consideration and don't fall in love with talking to majerus, huggins, knight, and alford on the phone!!!

I agree with hoops guy about local candidates not getting a look because of an Division 1 or 2 experience requirement. A resume of success is the most important attribute, not just a resume of experience. That's the price we are paying because of the short UND time span for the AD and his assistant. But be careful about asking them to not listen to some of the big time coaches. Some of them are behind just the type of candidates you are talking about......UND grads and former players!!

At the end of the day it is the AD's call. He is after the same thing that all of us are....men's bb success on the hardwood. Just because he is going about it differently than any of us would doesn't make it the wrong way.....just harder for those of us who have long and strong ties to the bb program to understand. At the end of the day....let's all strongly support the next head coach!!

I agree with hoops guy about local candidates not getting a look because of an Division 1 or 2 experience requirement. A resume of success is the most important attribute, not just a resume of experience. That's the price we are paying because of the short UND time span for the AD and his assistant. But be careful about asking them to not listen to some of the big time coaches. Some of them are behind just the type of candidates you are talking about......UND grads and former players!!

At the end of the day it is the AD's call. He is after the same thing that all of us are....men's bb success on the hardwood. Just because he is going about it differently than any of us would doesn't make it the wrong way.....just harder for those of us who have long and strong ties to the bb program to understand. At the end of the day....let's all strongly support the next head coach!!

I hope everyone reads, then rereads your post - that is absolutely what needs to happen!

I also think it is amazing people are drooling over Spoonhour based on things written or heard about him. Now I have absolutely nothing against him and he may be the best guy for the job, but read some of the comments on this board... it is probably what Buning and his assistant are saying while Roebuck rolls his eyes! I just hope they give some qualified local candidates some consideration and don't fall in love with talking to majerus, huggins, knight, and alford on the phone!!!

Much of the coaching decision comes down to "are we or are we not going DI?" If we going DI, we practically have to have a coach that has DI connection for scheduling purposes in the DI transition, for recruiting beyond our region, and to help in our sex appeal to a conference. The choice and how he appears to others outside of UND in a DI environment matters, where before it didn't. Personally, I think many of the DI assistants that have applied leave a lot to be desired. I also think that Jay's father, Charlie, was one of the best DI coaches around, getting more from limited talent than most could. If Jay has half his father's talent, which I think he does, we would be unbelievably blessed.

If its the same old D2 song, then you are absolutely correct, hoops guy.

1. He was at Southwest Minnesota St, as a DII head coach. (Did NDSU hire him out of Mayville? No.) BTW, is NDSU in a conference right now? That is no knock on Tim Miles, but it was really only the win against Wisconsin that put him on the map. Tim Miles is now a major reason NDSU will likely get in a conference for the 2008-9 season.

2. Even if it was for a significant pay increase?

He was at SW State going to the elite 8....with a NSIC team....where was any coach before they got a chance...do you think every coach hired was at a top notch school???

Someone tell me why there are only 3 peope on this hiring committee??? When has there every been only 3 people....one being the AD himself....why not have a committe....weed out the 56 resumes....give him 5 names and he makes the call....anyone who would make this connection would assume that the AD has already made his decision....and I also did hear from a very very good source that he has picked his man already...from out east.....why not have Ken Towers on the committee....Steve Brekke, coach Lennon, how about someone from the Boosters....maybe another community fan...a big time basketball fan....make this community feel like they are part of the solution and you will get a better reception from this tight knit small town GF atmosphere.....if the coach from Army gets the job....that will be a joke!!

As far as 5 years of experience goes, Smith has it with Asst coaching experience as well.....he was a Asst. more than 5 years......if that is the qualiications they are using for RH as well?? agreed???

Is it legal to be a state employee...receive a free vehicle to drive...and allow your spouse to drive this vehicle all day?? is this a abuse of benefits?? just curious???

If you're so bothered, why don't you ask someone in a position to know and do something about it instead anonymously of posting inuendo on an Internet message board?

If you're so bothered, why don't you ask someone in a position to know and do something about it instead anonymously of posting inuendo on an Internet message board?

high morals....and professiona conduct...perhaps I have PCM...good post

The four candidates interviewing on campus next week include:

- Monday, May 15 -- Steve Weemer, former assistant coach at Eastern Illinois University

- Tuesday, May 16 -- Randall Herbst, associate head coach at UND

- Wednesday, May 17 -- Brian Jones, director of basketball operations at the University of Iowa

- Thursday, May 18 -- Tom Brown, assistant coach at Winona State University

Steve Weemer........she is formerly from E. Illimois...NICE

maybe star2city is one of the drinking buddies....you know what they say drinking buddies are tighter than husband and wife...those late night parties can get pretty wild...lol....or maybe a staff hire defending the new found friend???

Is it legal to be a state employee...receive a free vehicle to drive...and allow your spouse to drive this vehicle all day?? is this a abuse of benefits?? just curious???

This is getting over the top. Please keep your comments confined to UND athletics, pro or con, but stop the innuendo and smearing of UND staff and other posters. This is not the appropriate place to air personal grudges.