SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Head Men's Basketball Coaches

choyt3

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to retract my above comment. I am very disappointed to confirm that this rumor is fact. Very unprofessional!!

I agree that this was very unprofessional. I had refrained from publicly commenting on this rumor until now because I wasn't positive that it was true. I am extremely opposed to Herbst getting the job, but I don't believe anybody should be treated in that manner. I hope somebody at the Herald has the guts to ask Buning to comment on this matter.

I have to retract my above comment. I am very disappointed to confirm that this rumor is fact. Very unprofessional!!

OK, I'm somewhere between very stunned and very shocked. I'd expect more from an Army man.

(Context of the sequence of events would be very useful.)

I do believe a apology is in order Sicatoka....to myself...for doubting me again...

That aside...I know this is true too....very unprofessional....whether he didnt know he couldnt even offer the job to anyone until it closes....whether the LTC pleads arrogant or ignorant....either way its no excuse.....still the matter at hand is why would Randall apply after being treated this way....I would have cleaned out my office the next day....one more showing of a second letter needing to be written.....someone please speed this process up... I am not sure Randall is the best guy for the job....but no one deserves that treatment....no one....unprofessional....as unprofessional as his departmental restructuring.....class begets class....and some dont have any......

I do believe a apology is in order Sicatoka....to myself...for doubting me again...

Dude, you have to admit an offer and pull-back is out there. I'll say you turned out to be correct, but I didn't assault you as a source (I questioned something even you first called a "rumor") so I don't believe an apology is in order.

How could this occur? Who all was direct witness to it?

I'd expect better from Buning. (If an apology is in order it may be from Buning to the Army for forgetting what they taught him about professionalism.)

One reason I think RH kept his name in is because he is getting married this summer and his wife tobe is from this area and has family here. I am sure that if RH does not get the job I am thinking that the herald will get the truth from somebody when they leave town for their new job.

I hope RH does go to the GF Herald....because that is the most outrageous thing I have heard in what...7 months....lol...side joke...

With every one of your posts, D1sioux, I grow more and more thankful you are no longer part of the athletic department. You may be justified in some of your views, but I think most people would characterize your behavior on this board as the very thing you accuse Buning of: unprofessional.

With every one of your posts, D1sioux, I grow more and more thankful you are no longer part of the athletic department. You may be justified in some of your views, but I think most people would characterize your behavior on this board as the very thing you accuse Buning of: unprofessional.

DITTO! Get over it...

How what fans and people act if a Black coach would be put in place! i have no problem, cause the game is mostly blacks, and i think UND could use some more black althletes, and players with explosivness, and leaping ablitlty. Loook whos is returning, DOyle, hoy, gutter, lenertz, likas,anderrson, harkins , porter, and the best player UND has is red shirt freshman in travis bledsoe. UND need some new blood. i think a new coach might clen house and bring in new players, cause we all know there players havent gotten it done in the past, and with the best freshman class in years down to bledsoe UND need some GOOD players, not high school players like this team has, we need D1 players the misfits

that is funny....and not worthy of my response....maybe star2city is one of the drinking buddies....you know what they say drinking buddies are tighter than husband and wife...those late night parties can get pretty wild...lol....or maybe a staff hire defending the new found friend???

Well Craig Smith supporters you are going to be disapointed. Smith didn't make the list of finalist. They said if you don't have 5 yrs NCAA experience they put your resume in the no list. Don't feel bad, the guy I was pulling for was in the no list as well.

If true, I am extremely disappointed. I had considered it a virtual sure thing that Smith would not only get a phone interview, but would be one of the finalists. I'm guessing the finalists will probably end up being Johnson, Jaskulski, Fuller and possibly Gillespie. Unless Rico or Herbst get consideration, I doubt anybody with ties to the area will be among the finalists. When's the last time that happened for a high-profile UND athletic department job?

I find it a bit ironic that if this "rule" were in place 20 years ago, Roebuck (who is on the search committee) would not have gotten his current job. It would be very interesting to know whether he agreed with Buning and Ralston on requiring five years of NCAA experience.

Very disapointed.

I'm hearing Bunning is sort of just laying back and waiting for the finalist to be weeded out before making a decision. Roebuck did not want the 5 yr rule in place. But the lady is really taking control and let him know times have changed. Very sad if true.

If true, I am extremely disappointed. I had considered it a virtual sure thing that Smith would not only get a phone interview, but would be one of the finalists. I'm guessing the finalists will probably end up being Johnson, Jaskulski, Fuller and possibly Gillespie. Unless Rico or Herbst get consideration, I doubt anybody with ties to the area will be among the finalists. When's the last time that happened for a high-profile UND athletic department job?

I find it a bit ironic that if this "rule" were in place 20 years ago, Roebuck (who is on the search committee) would not have gotten his current job. It would be very interesting to know whether he agreed with Buning and Ralston on requiring five years of NCAA experience.

I'm hearing Bunning is sort of just laying back and waiting for the finalist to be weeded out before making a decision. Roebuck did not want the 5 yr rule in place. But the lady is really taking control and let him know times have changed. Very sad if true.

I don't know why Ralston is even on this committee. If she were going to be useful, it was going to be in hiring a volleyball coach. And frankly, that was a questionable hire.

I agree with 92,96. This guy has done a remarkable job. The five year rule can be a guideline, but if the committee is not simply going to find the best candidate then they need to get a new committee. If that happens to be someone with 3 years experience rather than five who cares? Smith needs to be considered long and hard. If that is done and there are others who are found to be better candidates fine. If they don't look at him because of the 5 year experience deal, then I am starting to understand some of the problems we ahve at UND.

Can they recruit? If they can't the 5 years means nothing. Can they communicate? If they can't, don't bother. Can they coach and have they shown the ability to succeed? Are they willing to remain a D2 coach if UND stays D2 and are they willing to bring the program to the D1 level if UND gets over their inferiority complex and makes the right move?

I would hope Bunning didn't make the offer to Herbst then retract it. That would indicate a real lack of class. I had heard teh same story and I ahd also heard Buning had a guy from out east he wants to offer the job to but I would keep that in the rumor category. (you rumor police don't get bent out of shape).

Herbst made the list of finalist.

I agree with 92,96. This guy has done a remarkable job. The five year rule can be a guideline, but if the committee is not simply going to find the best candidate then they need to get a new committee. If that happens to be someone with 3 years experience rather than five who cares? Smith needs to be considered long and hard. If that is done and there are others who are found to be better candidates fine. If they don't look at him because of the 5 year experience deal, then I am starting to understand some of the problems we ahve at UND.

Can they recruit? If they can't the 5 years means nothing. Can they communicate? If they can't, don't bother. Can they coach and have they shown the ability to succeed? Are they willing to remain a D2 coach if UND stays D2 and are they willing to bring the program to the D1 level if UND gets over their inferiority complex and makes the right move?

I would hope Bunning didn't make the offer to Herbst then retract it. That would indicate a real lack of class. I had heard teh same story and I ahd also heard Buning had a guy from out east he wants to offer the job to but I would keep that in the rumor category. (you rumor police don't get bent out of shape).