SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Head Men's Basketball Coaches

choyt3

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this hiring is being handled properly. IMO, the athletic department needs to announce which direction it is going to take (D-II or D-I) before hiring a coach. Buning's deadline of having someone hired by May 20 is too soon and some very good candidates might be scared off by the uncertainty.

I don't think this hiring is being handled properly. IMO, the athletic department needs to announce which direction it is going to take (D-II or D-I) before hiring a coach. Buning's deadline of having someone hired by May 20 is too soon and some very good candidates might be scared off by the uncertainty.

What is the last day to apply? What is the date that Kupchella announces?

If the last day to apply is before the DI announcement, that would be a major mistake IMO.

What is the last day to apply? What is the date that Kupchella announces?

If the last day to apply is before the DI announcement, that would be a major mistake IMO.

I'm not sure there's any specific last day to apply, but if screening will start May 10, and Buning wants a coach hired by May 20, I'm thinking anybody serious about wanting the job better have his application in by early next week, unless Buning backs off his comments about wanting a coach hired by the 20th. I agree that at this point, there's no compelling reason to have a coach hired by May 20.

As true in basically everything in life....

Think Long Term!!!

In the long term the short term don't matter. There is no reason to hurry the selection process. There is no reason to hurry a D1 move. No one will remember 20 years from now who moved first. 50 years from now no one will remember what the nickname use to be. :D

Jaskulski bio. I kind of expect the next coach to be a little younger, but with his experience I think he'd probably warrant an interview.

My ideal candidate would be in his late 40's or early 50's that is willing to stay around and build a program based on basketball fundamentals. Not to say that can't happen with someone younger, but the enticement of a bigger DI program is awfully tempting (for positive and negative reasons).

My ideal candidate would be in his late 40's or early 50's that is willing to stay around and build a program based on basketball fundamentals. Not to say that can't happen with someone younger, but the enticement of a bigger DI program is awfully tempting (for positive and negative reasons).

I'd prefer somebody young and enthusiastic, and who is familiar with what it's like to live in the Dakota's, Minnesota, or a similiar upper midwest state. Just as it would be tempting for a young coach to want to move onto a bigger program, it would be tempting for a coach of any age unfamiliar with our climate to want to move south or west at the first opportunity if he doesn't completely understand what it's like to live in this part of the country.

With the large number of applicants, what do you out there think Craig Smith's chances are?

I think his chances are pretty decent, but I certainly don't pretend to know what Buning is looking for. Of all the applicants, I think Smith would be the most popular choice, but it's hard to say whether that will have any effect on Buning's decision making. If the decision were made strictly on who has the best resume or who has a lot of division I experience, then he won't get the job. But he does have a lot of intangibles going for him, and a strong local connection that has worked quite well in the past (Lennon, Hakstol, Roebuck, Gino, RT, Blais, etc.)

With the list growing everyday, with alot of very good people applying, I think Herbst chances seem to be dwindling with almost every application that comes in.

I agree. I think his only chance was to have been promoted without a national search.

I think his chances are pretty decent, but I certainly don't pretend to know what Buning is looking for. Of all the applicants, I think Smith would be the most popular choice, but it's hard to say whether that will have any effect on Buning's decision making. If the decision were made strictly on who has the best resume or who has a lot of division I experience, then he won't get the job. But he does have a lot of intangibles going for him, and a strong local connection that has worked quite well in the past (Lennon, Hakstol, Roebuck, Gino, RT, Blais, etc.)

Would there ever be a chance that Buning would hire an older head coach and pair him with an heir apparent associate coach, like Craig Smith? The program could be set for years.

Would there ever be a chance that Buning would hire an older head coach and pair him with an heir apparent associate coach, like Craig Smith? The program could be set for years.

Anything's possible, but whether Smith would be willing to be an assistant at anyplace other than a tournament-eligible dI school is questionable. What I'd love to see is Smith as head coach and Terry Olson as his primary assistant, but I realize the chances of that happening are probably slim. Olson is more experienced, and seems to be a good recruiter.

With the list growing everyday, with alot of very good people applying, I think Herbst chances seem to be dwindling with almost every application that comes in.

Rumor has it RH was offered the job by the AD and the offer retracted within a hour of the offer....any comments on this situation???

My first thought is....why would RH apply then if this was the case, because that was a ultimate slap in the face....whether he deserved the job or not....not a professional way to conduct business!!! IMO

<snip>....not a professional way to conduct business!!! IMO

Which has been the central theme of nearly every post you've made. Still trying to figure out which of the recent turnover at UND/REA was your job situation changing. Sure seems to be a sour grapes issue.

As for the basketball coaching situation, I've been thinking that the hiring of Glas by Ben Jacobson is quite similar to the hiring years ago of Jim Severson (sp) by Rich Glas. I.E. Bringing in an "experienced" head coach as an assistant to add some levity and enthusiasm to the staff. That was certainly a recipe that worked for Glas back in the early 90's.

Rumor has it RH was offered the job by the AD and the offer retracted within a hour of the offer....any comments on this situation???

Forgive me, but I don't see a former Lieutenant Colonel in the US Army being as unprofessional as that, and I say that out of respect for the US Army as much at Mr. Buning.

I'd chalk that up as less than rumor, maybe even wishful thinking by some at best.

My first thought is....why would RH apply then if this was the case, because that was a ultimate slap in the face....whether he deserved the job or not....not a professional way to conduct business!!! IMO

After talking to various inside sources, I am quite sure that Randall was not offered the job.