SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Head Men's Basketball Coaches

choyt3

Does anyone else find it ironic that the MBB job is a Masters requirement in it, yet Gene R. does not have a masters?? So with these requirements if Gene applied....he would have been screened out?? Something is wrong with this process!

[May be hollow, but a resounding echo/]

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This quote was briefly discussed earlier today, but I'm surprised it hasn't drawn more discussion:

Buning said he's aware of the controversy surrounding UND's preference of Division I or II coaching experience plus a master's degree.

"People debate whether those are the proper qualifications, but they're not looking at the best interests of the university, the players and the future players we want here," Buning said.

Unbelievable. :)

For the love of God, somebody please get through to Buning and get him to call Craig Smith for an interview. Has anybody else ever been to Mayville? Have you seen the town? If you can recruit and build a nationally competitive team in Mayville, think of what you could do in Grand Forks. He's had 10 years of experience in college basketball in this region. He's been to 4 National Tournaments and 2 Elite Eights. As a head coach he's been to a National Tournament every year and he has an Elite Eight appearance already... Too bad he doesn't meet those brilliant preferences, though... Too bad for UND...

For the love of God, somebody please get through to Buning and get him to call Craig Smith for an interview. Has anybody else ever been to Mayville? Have you seen the town? If you can recruit and build a nationally competitive team in Mayville, think of what you could do in Grand Forks. He's had 10 years of experience in college basketball in this region. He's been to 4 National Tournaments and 2 Elite Eights. As a head coach he's been to a National Tournament every year and he has an Elite Eight appearance already... Too bad he doesn't meet those brilliant preferences, though... Too bad for UND...

[it will be sad 747, you think of the potential candidates in our back yard, Smith, and from our own yard, Stewart, both winners by the looks of it, and yet no interview given by a committee made up of "whose yard?/]

This quote was briefly discussed earlier today, but I'm surprised it hasn't drawn more discussion:

Unbelievable. :)

I find that comment astounding!!! I am not sure why LTC talks to the paper, because everytime he does, the hole gets deeper, and deeper and deeper!!

[May be hollow, but a resounding echo/]

LOL...that was funny.....along those very same lines, if Ben Jacobson had applied, now the head coach at Northern Iowa, he does not have his masters, so he would not have had a chance to get this head coaching position, would there be public outcry then....even more than now i would be willing to bet!!!!

LOL...that was funny.....along those very same lines, if Ben Jacobson had applied, now the head coach at Northern Iowa, he does not have his masters, so he would not have had a chance to get this head coaching position, would there be public outcry then....even more than now i would be willing to bet!!!!

[NC State (Div. I) Past national champions (Dickie V.) just hired Sidney Lowe. Coach Lowes highest level of education: High School Diploma!

Guess the Smith and Stewart should have stopped at high school.

As an outside observer, it appears that they (Kuppy & Bunella) are delaying picking a BB coach until a decision on D-1 is made.

From any coach's perspective, I'd want to know if dealing with a D-2 or D-1 situation prior to accepting a job.

Well, a week before the Big Sky meeting. We'll know what's up from the Big Sky shortly. Then watch the domino's fall.

Unless somebody else gets selected for an interview, it appears a trend in hiring head coaches for major sports at UND will be broken. I believe you have to go back at least 36 years (Dave Gunther?) since a head coach with no real connection to the immediate area was hired in football, basketball or hockey. One could argue that there were a couple in women's basketball prior to Roebuck, but that wasn't a major sport here until he built it into one.

Unless somebody else gets selected for an interview, it appears a trend in hiring head coaches for major sports at UND will be broken. I believe you have to go back at least 36 years (Dave Gunther?) since a head coach with no real connection to the immediate area was hired in football, basketball or hockey. One could argue that there were a couple in women's basketball prior to Roebuck, but that wasn't a major sport here until he built it into one.

Not the best way to get the support from you'r alum, but it is OK to turn around and ask them for MONEY. I also understand it is getting harder and harder for local support. I hope when it comes friday they look at this seach hard and wait a week and bring in somemore coaches next week. But the 2 man board may have already made up their mind. And if that happens their might be some very interesting things coming out in the papers.Only time will till??

[Good morning Sioux land! I think I'll go to the doctor today, I'll pick the one that has never held the scalpel before. Think I'll have my house built today, how about little Tommy next door, he does well with Lincoln Logs.

Can anyone tell us where Jones got his head coaching experience? I for one am going coockoo for cocoa puffs thinking that one of these candidates that are being interviewed might be driving the same bus that the 2 past legends drove (Coaches Gunther/Glas).

Anyone go to the forums besides me? Jones looked like a hall of famer compared to the recent high school coach interviewed. Just not a Sioux hall of famer. Lets not SETTLE committee please. Go get someone.]

[it will be sad 747, you think of the potential candidates in our back yard, Smith, and from our own yard, Stewart, both winners by the looks of it, and yet no interview given by a committee made up of "whose yard?/]

Just for the record... Craig Smith is not only in our back yard, he is in fact one of our own. Smith graduated from UND back in 1996.

Also for the record... Smith has 4 years of experience as a D II assistant. He was at Northern State for one year (they made it to the NCAA II Elite Eight) and was at North Dakota State for three years... He was at NDSU during their transition to Division I...

[NC State (Div. I) Past national champions (Dickie V.) just hired Sidney Lowe. Coach Lowes highest level of education: High School Diploma!

Guess the Smith and Stewart should have stopped at high school.

Lowe is required to have his masters for that position and will be finishing his work on it this summer. At least that's what the talking heads on the radio were saying.

Peter Stewart got the refernece from Bob Knight. He and Knight go way back. Peter has worked camps for him...they go hunting together, etc. Coach tried to call LTC, but he was not taking calls regarding the position!! Stewart has not gotten an interview......yet.

Peter Stewart got the refernece from Bob Knight. He and Knight go way back. Peter has worked camps for him...they go hunting together, etc. Coach tried to call LTC, but he was not taking calls regarding the position!! Stewart has not gotten an interview......yet.

An Army man not taking a call from Robert Montgomery Knight, who got his coaching start at none other than West Point? :) But hey, who cares what the General has to say when you have Betty Ralston around to give advice? ;) I don't think Knight has his Masters, either, so that could have played a role in not taking his call.

Brown eyes another title

The NCC had been considered the top league in the region, but lately RMAC and NSIC teams have had more success in the region.

However, Brown believes UND can regain its stature as one of the top teams in the region, one that can compete for national titles.

He's not big into junior-college recruiting, either.

"I recruited one (junior-college player) and it didn't work out that well," Brown said.

Like the candidates before him, Brown said his style of play also is uptempo and one that looks for the 3-pointer.

"I want to win a national championship again," Brown said. "Once you get a taste of it, you want to do it again."

Bottom line will we have a new Coach Today, if we do I hope everyone can get over their objections thaqt they have had, and rally behind whoever it is and give them a chance to see what they can do. Who knows what can happen.

I don't think any fans will direct their displeasure at the new coach. I can't say the same for Mr. Buning, however. If you hire a popular choice and it doesn't work out, then the a.d. shouldn't be and probably wouldn't be blamed. If you go against the wishes of most fans and alums in your hire and it doesn't work out, you've got big problems.

I don't think any fans will direct their displeasure at the new coach. I can't say the same for Mr. Buning, however. If you hire a popular choice and it doesn't work out, then the a.d. shouldn't be and probably wouldn't be blamed. If you go against the wishes of most fans and alums in your hire and it doesn't work out, you've got big problems.

Agreed. Just for the record, who is it you would have wanted them to hire?

Agreed. Just for the record, who is it you would have wanted them to hire?

I wanted Smith, but would have been satisfied with anybody who has been a successful head coach at any level of college basketball, or a highly-regarded assistant from a good dI or dII program. For that reason, I am not opposed to Brown, but would have big problems with a Weemer or Jones hire. Most of the people I've spoken with feel the same.

Bottom line will we have a new Coach Today, if we do I hope everyone can get over their objections thaqt they have had, and rally behind whoever it is and give them a chance to see what they can do. Who knows what can happen.

[i agree whole heartedly about supporting the new coach. Bleeding green has never meant looking to an outsider and than flipping a coin to choose the best of 3 bad options when so many better exist and even applied from what we see.

"Who knows what can happen", That may be the Title to Bunnings and Ralstons new management book. Would that make Roebuck a Ghost writer?