SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Head Men's Basketball Coaches

choyt3

What about the three former Sioux players that are already head coaches that applied?

Peter Stewart

Mike Boschee

Peter Stewart

I'll admit a bias. Peter Stewart is my brother and would do a great job. Give him a chance to interview on-campus before the committee, the staff and students of UND, the letterewinners and the community and he would knock their socks off!!

I, too, wondered about this. though Mike Boschee only had three yrs of coaching experience which is probably why they didn't choose him. I will admit I don't know a lot about Peter Stewart though. Sry.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter played for Gunther and was a team captain. Played and coached professionally in Austrailia after graduation. Has been head coach at Peninsula College in Port Angeles for three years. Took over a 3-24 team and has won two conference championships and finished second once. Coach Bob Knight was a reference. He is a great coach and leader!

What about the three former Sioux players that are already head coaches that applied?

Peter Stewart

Mike Boschee

Peter Stewart

I'll admit a bias. Peter Stewart is my brother and would do a great job. Give him a chance to interview on-campus before the committee, the staff and students of UND, the letterewinners and the community and he would knock their socks off!!

i just cant wait until the alums are asked to pony up some money after this total disrepect!!!!!!

Rico Bukertt, Mike Fitzner.plus other alums who didnt play basketball at UND but went to school here....total disrespect!!!

Also why would this Weener guy put down Ralston as a reference....when she is on the hiring committee???

Peter Stewart

Mike Boschee

Peter Stewart

Why do people get all excited about Mike Boschee? He's been mentioned a couple times. As a head coach his record is 24-52 at a lower level college. Sure he's a local boy, but so are coaches Dave Vonesh, Todd Olson and many others who played for UND. These coach's records as players should play a minimal amount in the interviewing process. Boschee should hold off applying to a larger school until he can put together at least one above .500 season in the lower ranks.

As far as Pete, I went to school with him at UND and am glad to find out where he and Julie landed. As good a friend as he was in college, I still don't know if I could give him complete 100% support for this position at this point in his head coaching career when comparing him to some of head coaching careers of the other applicants. Maybe someday, but not today. I could see him as head coach at Mayville, Wahpeton, Minot, Mary, etc. first in the near future. I think he'd be taking two steps up the ladder instead of one at a time. I could see if his record mirrored Roebuck's, but Roebuck had won a couple national titles by the time he interviewed at this level... at the same time recruiting and coaching another sport (baseball).

I would agree that if they're going to interview the 3-4 that they picked, I don't think Pete or Mike are any less qualified and could be brought in. Obviously the committee sees something I don't when looking over the applicants. I doubt the committee will be done interviewing after these initial candidates... or at least I hope not because I'm not overly impressed.

Why do people get all excited about Mike Boschee? He's been mentioned a couple times. As a head coach his record is 24-52 at a lower level college. Sure he's a local boy, but so are coaches Dave Vonesh, Todd Olson and many others who played for UND. These coach's records as players should play a minimal amount in the interviewing process. Boschee should hold off applying to a larger school until he can put together at least one above .500 season in the lower ranks.

As far as Pete, I went to school with him at UND and am glad to find out where he and Julie landed. As good a friend as he was in college, I still don't know if I could give him complete 100% support for this position at this point in his head coaching career when comparing him to some of head coaching careers of the other applicants. Maybe someday, but not today. I could see him as head coach at Mayville, Wahpeton, Minot, Mary, etc. first in the near future. I think he'd be taking two steps up the ladder instead of one at a time. I could see if his record mirrored Roebuck's, but Roebuck had won a couple national titles by the time he interviewed at this level... at the same time recruiting and coaching another sport (baseball).

I would agree that if they're going to interview the 3-4 that they picked, I don't think Pete or Mike are any less qualified and could be brought in. Obviously the committee sees something I don't when looking over the applicants. I doubt the committee will be done interviewing after these initial candidates... or at least I hope not because I'm not overly impressed.

To 61hawk and others who have not followed his career since he left UND....I have seen him as a HEAD coach on three different continents (he has HEAD coached on four)...he has coached college players in the US, professional players (including the former DII and DI players) in Austrailia, China and Europe. I have spent two weeks in China with him where he was the HEAD coach for a exhibition series againt the Chinese Olympic team in 1996. The guy can flat out coach and lead. UND would be an easy transition for him. His staff would be outstanding. His #1 assistant at UND would be the current four year #1 assistant (Matt Bowen-his resume alone is better than any of the current three candidates) at Valparaiso...that's Homer Drew DI Midcontinent Conference Valpo...two conference titles and an NCAA appearance in the those four years. His #2 assistant would be Derrick Witt who has a National Junior College championship on his coaching resume. He has great recruiting contacts around the country and around the world. He has won every where he has HEAD coached. And recommended by Bob Knight. As I said before, if he gets an interivew, he'll knock their..and your socks off!

To 61hawk and others who have not followed his career since he left UND....I have seen him as a HEAD coach on three different continents (he has HEAD coached on four)...he has coached college players in the US, professional players (including the former DII and DI players) in Austrailia, China and Europe. I have spent two weeks in China with him where he was the HEAD coach for a exhibition series againt the Chinese Olympic team in 1996. The guy can flat out coach and lead. UND would be an easy transition for him. His staff would be outstanding. His #1 assistant at UND would be the current four year #1 assistant (Matt Bowen-his resume alone is better than any of the current three candidates) at Valparaiso...that's Homer Drew DI Midcontinent Conference Valpo...two conference titles and an NCAA appearance in the those four years. His #2 assistant would be Derrick Witt who has a National Junior College championship on his coaching resume. He has great recruiting contacts around the country and around the world. He has won every where he has HEAD coached. And recommended by Bob Knight. As I said before, if he gets an interivew, he'll knock their..and your socks off!

I'm not arguing with you, and don't mean any disrespect to you or your brother, but something doesn't add up for me. This may be mainly from my lack of knowledge on his coaching history over the past 18 years. With the credentials and contacts that you stated (and I do realize you have a bias as you mentioned in this matter), it seems odd that he would be coaching at the 2-year college level where it doesn't appear the team has any traditional "scholarship" players. I am concerned somewhat about his ability to recruit, since I don't know or see a recruiting history. I assume Pete is looking at other schools as well, otherwise why would he already have his coaching staff set.

I guess that I'm just focused mainly on getting someone at UND who has proven to be successful at the 4-year level. I work at USC and can use their football program as an example, when Brad Scott was fired the Athletic Director brought in Lou Holtz, and then after Holtz left, he brought in Steve Spurrier... this is what I think UND needs to do at this point, bring in an established and historically successful coach. Getting someone who could draw fans soley on his name would be a bonus and only help in recruiting. I realize that UND is not going to get a DI national championship head coach, but there must be some head coaches at DII or NAIA... or even DI championship level #1 assistant coaches that would be willing to make the step to a head coach in DII. For me there are just some holes that need to be filled before I could be 100% comfortable with this selection. From the names they brought in so far, I'm not comfortable with any of them... and I would have to review all the applicants a little more closely before I could even pick who I thought they should have brought in for the first round of interviews.

I'm not arguing with you, and don't mean any disrespect to you or your brother, but something doesn't add up for me. This may be mainly from my lack of knowledge on his coaching history over the past 18 years. With the credentials and contacts that you stated (and I do realize you have a bias as you mentioned in this matter), it seems odd that he would be coaching at the 2-year college level where it doesn't appear the team has any traditional "scholarship" players. I am concerned somewhat about his ability to recruit, since I don't know or see a recruiting history. I assume Pete is looking at other schools as well, otherwise why would he already have his coaching staff set.

I guess that I'm just focused mainly on getting someone at UND who has proven to be successful at the 4-year level. I work at USC and can use their football program as an example, when Brad Scott was fired the Athletic Director brought in Lou Holtz, and then after Holtz left, he brought in Steve Spurrier... this is what I think UND needs to do at this point, bring in an established and historically successful coach. Getting someone who could draw fans soley on his name would be a bonus and only help in recruiting. I realize that UND is not going to get a DI national championship head coach, but there must be some head coaches at DII or NAIA... or even DI championship level #1 assistant coaches that would be willing to make the step to a head coach in DII. For me there are just some holes that need to be filled before I could be 100% comfortable with this selection. From the names they brought in so far, I'm not comfortable with any of them... and I would have to review all the applicants a little more closely before I could even pick who I thought they should have brought in for the first round of interviews.

Peter has recuited and can recruit. He has recuited to teams in Austrailia and now at Peninsula College. The # of schlorships do not impact the need to recruit...you still need players.

The likelyhood of a good #1 D1 assistant applying for the UND job are slim. Most want to stay in the D1 environment. This is not the USC football job.

He is not looking elsewhere. The assistants he has lined up want to coach with him....at UND! He likes where he is at and only wants to return to ND and the Fighting Sioux...not Mary College, not Bemidji State, etc.

Email me at jstewart@srt.com and I'll send you more info on him. I'd love to have you in his corner.

Peter has recuited and can recruit. He has recuited to teams in Austrailia and now at Peninsula College. The # of schlorships do not impact the need to recruit...you still need players.

The likelyhood of a good #1 D1 assistant applying for the UND job are slim. Most want to stay in the D1 environment. This is not the USC football job.

He is not looking elsewhere. The assistants he has lined up want to coach with him....at UND! He likes where he is at and only wants to return to ND and the Fighting Sioux...not Mary College, not Bemidji State, etc.

Email me at jstewart@srt.com and I'll send you more info on him. I'd love to have you in his corner.

Last time I talked to Pete Stewart was at the Final Four in New Orleans in 1993. Bright guy good resume. He would be a great candidate and along with Craig Smith should have been given every consideration. The priority needs to be to get the best candidate for the job. the person needs to be able to recruit, to coach and to be a member of the athletic department team.

It is Buning's call but if this doesn't work he has left himself open to criticism. It is his first big hire and if he blows it he may not survive. Bringing in guys who have been recently let go or are a HS coach creates a poor public image of where the program is going. It may take time for anyone to recoup the losses if this backfires. Hopefully Buning knows what he is doing.