SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Head Men's Basketball Coaches

choyt3

Last time I talked to Pete Stewart was at the Final Four in New Orleans in 1993. Bright guy good resume. He would be a great candidate and along with Craig Smith should have been given every consideration. The priority needs to be to get the best candidate for the job. the person needs to be able to recruit, to coach and to be a member of the athletic department team.

It is Buning's call but if this doesn't work he has left himself open to criticism. It is his first big hire and if he blows it he may not survive. Bringing in guys who have been recently let go or are a HS coach creates a poor public image of where the program is going. It may take time for anyone to recoup the losses if this backfires. Hopefully Buning knows what he is doing.

I agree 100%. If I were Buning, I'd politely tell Betty Ralston that her services are no longer required on this committee, and replace her with Steve Brekke and Dale Lennon. I trust those guys to not steer us wrong.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a black eye for UND! Randall turns down other good job offers in the past few years to stay loyal to UND and they in turn treat him like crap. One day they are telling him congratulations on being the new head coach, the next day they are bringing in new candidates and fans are smearing his name in the mud. Way to go administration and fans! I'm not saying they should have handed him the job on a silver platter, but wow did they do a horrible job with this process. Makes me wonder about how qualified Buning is for the job.

I hope Randall goes on to have a wonderful career and makes it to were he wants to go. I'm guessing he will never publicly out UND because he is much classier then the administration that is in place right now.

What did you expect?

Well....for starters....from the person who was the interim AD...and stated publicly that the situation was going to be cleaned up before the new AD got on board.... I would think this person, whom reports directly to the President would take a more pro active approach rather than saying he would forward the email!!!!!

Be accountable for the hire, look into, if one alum or fan is concerned, as a administrator you should be concerned...not pass the BUCK!!!!

Wow, what a black eye for UND! Randall turns down other good job offers in the past few years to stay loyal to UND and they in turn treat him like crap. One day they are telling him congratulations on being the new head coach, the next day they are bringing in new candidates and fans are smearing his name in the mud. Way to go administration and fans! I'm not saying they should have handed him the job on a silver platter, but wow did they do a horrible job with this process. Makes me wonder about how qualified Buning is for the job.

I hope Randall goes on to have a wonderful career and makes it to were he wants to go. I'm guessing he will never publicly out UND because he is much classier then the administration that is in place right now.

He did stay loyal to UND, but sometimes loyal to a fault, can be a fault, I now understand that too!!!! I really wish he would publicly come out and say what happened, from beginning to end, because future coaches, and our fans need to know!!!!!!!

I agree 100%. If I were Buning, I'd politely tell Betty Ralston that her services are no longer required on this committee, and replace her with Steve Brekke and Dale Lennon. I trust those guys to not steer us wrong.

How about putting Dave Vonesh on the committee??? or like I stated earlier, Steve Brekke, a alum, ex basketball player....or Coach Lennon.....

Why is Betty Ralston on the committee in the first place? She is the compliance director for the athletic department. Tell me where in her job title it says she should help with hirings of new coaches. It is absolutely embarrassing and unethical of her to start dragging people from her former job to her present job. The sad thing is, EVERYONE knows that it's her pulling the strings on the Weemer process. On top of it, he has her as a reference on her resume? Now that's discreet. Here is what has happened at UND within the last year or so:

1. The loss of Tim Tibesar, which probably couldn't be helped - no blame on administration there.

2. The loss of Rob Bollinger - we still don't really comprehend how much this will hurt in the long run.

3. Rich Glas leaves - 18 years of service to Fighting Sioux Athletics.

4. Look at the applicants for the basketball job.

We are walking a very thin line right now as an athletic department. The quality of personnel at UND has definitely been diminished. How much longer before we go public and say we aren't going D1? Then budgets will be cut, then coaches will leave, and the dominoes will fall. If we lose Dale Lennon because he doesn't like the direction everything is going, then UND has lost the war as an athletic department and institution. We need a new president, we need a new athletic faculty representative, and we need a new vision. I truly believe Tom Buning can do a good job, as long as he has the backing of his superiors to make the right moves. I don't believe he has that now in place. Remember, he's a Lt. Col. from the U.S. Army. He's following orders, and will not "rock the boat". It's what he knows.

Also, I am totally in agreement that Brekke and Lennon should be involved in the hiring process before Betty Ralston. They have the best interest in the University in mind.

As stated earlier, if things dont change....Coach Lennon is not happy with the current situation, mainly...budgets and playing northern iowa......there are two kinds of military....guys who go in do the job...dont ask for anything and those who kiss up...get a promotion...i will let you guess which one this is....from his suspicious hires, poor management style....gettin rid of Rob Bollinger...among others but him being the biggest name....and as has been pointed out many times...decisions being made....I wonder who gave the order to offer Randall the job and a hour later retract the offer???

Well....for starters....from the person who was the interim AD...and stated publicly that the situation was going to be cleaned up before the new AD got on board.... I would think this person, whom reports directly to the President would take a more pro active approach rather than saying he would forward the email!!!!!

Be accountable for the hire, look into, if one alum or fan is concerned, as a administrator you should be concerned...not pass the BUCK!!!!

I cant help but think how Tom Clifford would have handled that email...a lot differently i bet!!!!

As stated earlier, if things dont change....Coach Lennon is not happy with the current situation, mainly...budgets and playing northern iowa......there are two kinds of military....guys who go in do the job...dont ask for anything and those who kiss up...get a promotion...i will let you guess which one this is....from his suspicious hires, poor management style....gettin rid of Rob Bollinger...among others but him being the biggest name....and as has been pointed out many times...decisions being made....I wonder who gave the order to offer Randall the job and a hour later retract the offer???

Don't get me wrong, I think there have been some questionable decisions made. I also think some of the tact used to make some of these decisions was lackluster. In my opinion, I really believe Buning wants UND to go D1 and take it to places it hasn't seen. If he has intentions of going to a bigger university as an A.D., it would look great on the resume to have a successful transition on his watch. Just like the fundraising plan he orchestrated at Army. But like I said, he has to have the FULL backing by his superiors to be able to do it. We are a D1 institution in ALL aspects - as a formality however, still currently at the D2 level. We will fall to D2 quality very soon if certain steps aren't taken immediately to preserve the quality of the institution as a whole.

He did stay loyal to UND, but sometimes loyal to a fault, can be a fault, I now understand that too!!!! I really wish he would publicly come out and say what happened, from beginning to end, because future coaches, and our fans need to know!!!!!!!

We did contact him," Buning said. "He declined an invitation to come to our campus for an interview."

I wonder if this was really the case.....Hollywood??

"People debate whether those are the proper qualifications, but they're not looking at the best interests of the university, the players and the future players we want here," Buning said.

Wow is that a shot at any alum or fan who has a opinion?? I am not sure how to take that quote??

We did contact him," Buning said. "He declined an invitation to come to our campus for an interview."

I wonder if this was really the case.....Hollywood??

"People debate whether those are the proper qualifications, but they're not looking at the best interests of the university, the players and the future players we want here," Buning said.

Wow is that a shot at any alum or fan who has a opinion?? I am not sure how to take that quote??

If Buning meant exactly what he said, that's an insult to the vast majority of fans and alums who clearly disapprove of the candidates who were selected for an interview. What an embarrassment this process has been. ???

I do want to give credit to Wayne Nelson for continually bringing up the support Craig Smith has in his articles. link. By essentially labeling Smith's backers as "not looking at the best interests of the university, the players and the future players we want here," Buning is coming across as either very arrogant, or very ignorant (or both).

If Buning meant exactly what he said, that's an insult to the vast majority of fans and alums who clearly disapprove of the candidates who were selected for an interview. What an embarrassment this process has been. ???

I do want to give credit to Wayne Nelson for continually bringing up the support Craig Smith has in his articles. link. By essentially labeling Smith's backers as "not looking at the best interests of the university, the players and the future players we have," Buning is coming across as either very arrogant, or very ignorant (or both).

McFeely would be my favorite writer ever if he did an opinion piece and just ripped on the committee etc of this traveshamockery. :D;);)

I do want to give credit to Wayne Nelson for continually bringing up the support Craig Smith has in his articles. link. By essentially labeling Smith's backers as "not looking at the best interests of the university, the players and the future players we want here," Buning is coming across as either very arrogant, or very ignorant (or both).

I am guessing that is exactly what he meant...wow....he has been a Sioux for ten months....and he knows better than past players....coaches....fans.....or anyone who has a opinion....wow...I would like to call out Wayne Nelson and tell him to ask the tough questions....ask him if he offered Randall the job...and what his reasoning was....and IMO there is no excuse!!! The only way this will get addressed is if McFeely asks the tuff questions!!!!!

Why is Betty Ralston on the committee in the first place? She is the compliance director for the athletic department. Tell me where in her job title it says she should help with hirings of new coaches. It is absolutely embarrassing and unethical of her to start dragging people from her former job to her present job. The sad thing is, EVERYONE knows that it's her pulling the strings on the Weemer process. On top of it, he has her as a reference on her resume? Now that's discreet. Here is what has happened at UND within the last year or so:

1. The loss of Tim Tibesar, which probably couldn't be helped - no blame on administration there.

2. The loss of Rob Bollinger - we still don't really comprehend how much this will hurt in the long run.

3. Rich Glas leaves - 18 years of service to Fighting Sioux Athletics.

4. Look at the applicants for the basketball job.

We are walking a very thin line right now as an athletic department. The quality of personnel at UND has definitely been diminished. How much longer before we go public and say we aren't going D1? Then budgets will be cut, then coaches will leave, and the dominoes will fall. If we lose Dale Lennon because he doesn't like the direction everything is going, then UND has lost the war as an athletic department and institution. We need a new president, we need a new athletic faculty representative, and we need a new vision. I truly believe Tom Buning can do a good job, as long as he has the backing of his superiors to make the right moves. I don't believe he has that now in place. Remember, he's a Lt. Col. from the U.S. Army. He's following orders, and will not "rock the boat". It's what he knows.

Also, I am totally in agreement that Brekke and Lennon should be involved in the hiring process before Betty Ralston. They have the best interest in the University in mind.

I can almost guarantee that if we do not move to Division I that Dale Lennon will be gone once his contract is up if not sooner. It would be career suicide to stay here and try to coach with the recruiting disadvantage we're now at. Kupchella apparently has decided to rest on his laurels and coast his way into retirement and we're all the fools who are willing to stand by and let him do it. His legacy at UND could very well be as the president who took UND from being the premier institution in ND and one of the premier institutions in the Midwest to the level of Minot State or UMary. He's hired people who are incompetent (Buning) so they will serve as his mouthpiece and do whatever he says without challenging him. Furthermore Buning and Ralston have screwed up a hire already when the hired Moorhead's GA as the volleyball coach and are well on their way to screwing up this one. In their eyes as long as hockey does well they can disregard the rest of the sports and until we get these idiots out of their jobs every other sport and the university as a whole will suffer.

No, I agree with much of what dlsiouxfan says.

But, let's give the VB coach a chance to coach a game before she's hung out. Let's face it, over the last three years Moorhead State has as good or better VB than any school (DIs included) in the region. It's sick; it's sad; it's accurate. ???

Basketball? They haven't picked anyone yet (and intentionally left the door open as I see it).

I don't see what people in the decision-positions see.

I have to trust them until it's overt that they've erred.

As far as the volleyball coach goes, lets look at her bio:

Peterson comes to UND from Minnesota State University Moorhead, where she served as the top assistant coach for the past three seasons and helped guide the Dragons to a 65-27 record during that time, including an NCAA postseason berth in 2005. The Dragons were ranked in the America Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Top 25 poll in each of the last two seasons.

While at MSU-Moorhead, Peterson coached five all-conference selections, one freshman player of the year, one all-region selection and the program's first AVCA honorable mention All-American. She also served as interim head coach during the 2003 spring season and during the first five weeks of the 2004 regular season.

Peterson's off-court duties included overseeing the recruting program, strength and conditioning and team travel.

Prior to arriving at MSU-Moorhead, Peterson served as Director of Sports for North Dakota Special Olympics in 2002 and was an assistant coach at Concordia College in 2001. She also has extensive experience working with Midwest elite summer volleyball camps and the Junior Olympic program.

So she coached for 3 seasons at Moorhead State as the Assistant, and before that worked with special olympics, and a part time coach with Concordia, and then worked volleyball camps and worked with Junior Olympics.

And this does not put up any warning signs, your ok with this bio??

Does anyone else find it ironic that the MBB job is a Masters requirement in it, yet Gene R. does not have a masters?? So with these requirements if Gene applied....he would have been screened out?? Something is wrong with this process!

Does anyone else find it ironic that the MBB job is a Masters requirement in it, yet Gene R. does not have a masters?? So with these requirements if Gene applied....he would have been screened out?? Something is wrong with this process!

The point that wins my attention --> Roebuck is "unqualified" for the MBB job by the standard being used.

There is the best complaint with the process to date.

The "my guy wasn't picked" stuff sounds hollow compared to pointing that reality out.