SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Head Men's Basketball Coaches

choyt3

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would I make that up? One of the NDSU coaches told me that Miles had the contract offered to him on Monday and he was sitting on it until yesterday. The hang up was that the hiring was just for Miles and he would not be allowed to bring in his current NDSU staff. Maybe Miles just told his assistants this, but I find that hard to believe. Look at all the other information that I have providend, why would I make something like this up? And for the record your crazy if you think NDSU would have promoted within. Todd didn't get the St. Paul Concordia job and I find it hard to believe NDSU would have just went along with the same staff moving up.

Do you have a source? Otherwise, its just hearsay.

Press conference is at 1:30, Kolpack reported he turned the job down on his blog at about 11, and then of course there is this

UNC-Wilmington's search for a men's basketball coach is over.

Charlotte assistant Benny Moss, the last of five candidates to interview for the job, was named the coach in a Thursday afternoon news conference at Trask Coliseum.

UNCW had been in talks with North Dakota State coach Tim Miles. After considering the job Wednesday, Miles notified UNCW on Thursday morning that he was staying in Fargo, N.D.

Moss, 36, has worked the past six seasons on coach Bobby Lutz's staff at Charlotte.

Moss said he was offered the job Thursday morning. And how long did it take him to accept? "About two seconds," he quipped.

What's the difference between "had been in talks" and "offered the job"?

I know I'm word-smithing, but it never explicitly says Miles was offered the UNC-W job, just that he is staying at NDSU.

Miles was offered the job on Monday night without a doubt. He was told he could bring Todd as Director of Basketball Operations, but he would have to hire all new assistant coaches. He sat on the contract until his annoucement was made, they promptly hired another coach. I know all of this is true, I have heard from two different sides.

Also on the UND front look for Dryburgh from the Wahpeton school to reopen his recruitment this next week. He will stay verballed, but will see what else is out there. Word around Fargo is that he called UND's AD and the AD said things that didn't make him feel comfortable about what's going on in GF next year.

What's the difference between "had been in talks" and "offered the job"?

I know I'm word-smithing, but it never explicitly says Miles was offered the UNC-W job, just that he is staying at NDSU.

Also on the UND front look for Dryburgh from the Wahpeton school to reopen his recruitment this next week. He will stay verballed, but will see what else is out there. Word around Fargo is that he called UND's AD and the AD said things that didn't make him feel comfortable about what's going on in GF next year.

I don't suppose you would care to elaborate?

Somebody started a poll on the Herald site about who the next coach should be. link. Craig Smith is the current leader.

Craig Smith is the right man for the job at UND. If we're serious about getting somebody who can turn UND men's basketball into a national power, he is the guy.

Craig Smith is the right man for the job at UND. If we're serious about getting somebody who can turn UND men's basketball into a national power, he is the guy.

Curious about Craig Smith's qualities that make him a good coach. Can someone elaborate other than saying he's a proven winner?

Concerning Craig Smith:

1. He knows the UND program, and its players

2. He knows the NCC inside and out

3. Young

4. Energetic

5. Great in-game tactician

6. Best recruiter in the state

7. Innovative

8. Strong local ties

9. Very passionate about basketball

10. Perfect guy to lead UND BB back to National prominence and possibly into D-1.

Somebody started a poll on the Herald site about who the next coach should be. link. Craig Smith is the current leader.

For whatever it's worth, with 612 votes, the results of the poll are:

54% Craig Smith

25% somebody else

15% Randall Herbst

6% Terry Olson

Also, here's a brief Kevin Fee article on the expected level of interest in the job, and some of the potential candidates.

Concerning Craig Smith:

1. He knows the UND program, and its players

2. He knows the NCC inside and out

3. Young

4. Energetic

5. Great in-game tactician

6. Best recruiter in the state

7. Innovative

8. Strong local ties

9. Very passionate about basketball

10. Perfect guy to lead UND BB back to National prominence and possibly into D-1.

Very impressive attributes. Do you know what his ambitions are? Does he want to quickly move up the ladder to a DI job (I realize he might get that at UND) or does he want to remain in the Upper Midwest?

"You're the university of the state, which is a huge advantage. .... You have unbelievable facilities, and I never said this much when I was at NDSU, but it's a great school." -- former NDSU basketball coach Tom Billeter speaking about the University of North Dakota.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/s...ta/14429094.htm

The job is now posted. I'm curious as to what sort of salary is contemplated, but unfortunately it only indicates that salary will be "commensurate with experience."

Here's a crazy idea (Buning). You sit down and negotiate a contract on realistic goals with incentives for winning. :D

Herald article on the applicants so far. It's interesting that besides Herbst, none of the coaches whose names have been thrown around both here and in the media (Smith, Olson, Burkett, Billeter) have applied yet.

Grant bio;

Jones bio;

Johnson bio;

Kelso bio.

Kelso lost his job when Kansas State made a coaching change. McCormick resigned under pressure at Arkansas Tech after this past season.

Of the applicants so far, I'd say Johnson would be my top choice. He has a 106-40 record (.726) at Fort Hays, including 27-4 this past year. Of the dI assistants, it looks like Grant has the best resume. I do tend to still lean towards Craig Smith, if he applies.

I wonder if any of the candidates applied due to Buning having contacted them?

Brian Jones is a joke, I have seen him many times and talked with him several times, he was let go by Alford at Iowa, and not many around here like Alford so what does that tell you, if he even gets an interveiw thats not good.

If that's the case, then of the current applicants, I'd say only Johnson and Grant would warrant interviews.