SiouxSports.com Forum

Looking ahead to Harvard...

PCM

Sioux shut out at home to give them a sparkling 4-5 record at the Ralph this year. Good job, upperclassmen.

Perhaps if you would play more than 1 period per game?

I know some Freshman were missing but that is no excuse for the product that was put out on the ice tonight. The Sioux had very few really good chances. Most of the shots were from the perimeter where the goalie had a good view. I am also somewhat puzzled by the stategy of passing up a straight on shot from inside the blue line in favor of a sharp angle shot during power plays. Last time I checked, Drew Stafford was a first round draft pick, Travis Zajac was a first round draft pick, Chris Porter has the ability to score. What happens next year when Toews and Oshie leave early and there are no Freshman to carry the load?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first team to lose to Harvard since the earliest decades of Sioux hockey. Once again, good job upperclassmen.

Why is it that this team can only play 3 strong periods on the road? If I were coach, I'd be all over these guys. As a great coach once told me - When a team is weak, you need to support them. When a team is strong, you need to challenge them. When a team should be strong but is not, you need to make them strong any way you can.

Tonight's effort, along with some other home games this season, deserve the latter. Strongly.

That was probably the worst team effort I have seen in years. Five minutes into the third period and they have 13 shots on goal.

We are over half way into the season now, there is no excuse for that type of effort.

No point in worrying about making the NC$$ tourney, the way they are playing at home even if they make it it will not be an advantage.

They need to clean up the defensive play and start putting forth 60 minutes of effort each game. Everything else will take care of itself.

Wow. Tough loss.

The home record is disturbing. Losing to a team at home that we haven't lost to since 1951 is also disturbing.

Being outshot is becoming alarming. I'm not one that's going to say that "if we don't outshoot our opponents every game we won't win every game" because we've been outshot and won many times. HOWEVER, the trend seems to be continuing where we just can't seem to get shots on goal.

Here's a trivia question for you all (but you won't have time to answer it because I'll post the answer in this post):

How many passes does it take to score a goal?

The answer? Trick question. You can't score if you don't shoot the puck.

29-21 was the shot score off the stat sheet. Not good totals on our part but not terrible defensively.

I guess the positive on this note is that we played pretty good defensively.

However, coming online to see that the part of the team that didn't struggle was the part of the team I (and probably most here) expected to struggle and vice versa isn't exactly a good thing.

Tommorrow is now a must win. I hope Coach Hak skates them tommorrow morning.

I can't believe the way that some of the upperclassmen played tonight. I thought the only two so called "leaders" that showed up were Stafford and Spirko. Where was Porter? Where was Prpich? Did Zajac play tonight? All of aforementioned are crucial for the success of the team this season, and to only have two of them seem like they cared is a blow at this point in the season.

I can't blame the defensive effort though. Smaby, Finley, Alexander, Jones, and Marvin really played a great defensive game. The goal that Lamoureax gave up was because he was basically back on the goal line expecting a pass across (to a guy that was covered pretty well by a backchecking Rylan Kaip I believe). The defense played a solid game, and can't be blamed for the forwards not doing their jobs.

This game points out how valuable Oshie and Toews are as energy guys. I'm sure the Sioux will come out tonight with more effort, their ears may still be ringing. Thankfully it's only December, and while this loss hurts it's not a deathblow. Last year the Sioux didn't really ramp up until late, this year feels earily similar. Please beat Harvard tonight, please.

Herald

"We're in the second half of the season now. You're either going to get it done, or someone else is going to be in the lineup and get it done for you."
It's really too bad the team is shorthanded this weekend, as I'm sure Hak would like to sit a few butts down for tonite's game. I would bet we'll see Foyt tonite. Edited by dagies

This game points out how valuable Oshie and Toews are as energy guys. I'm sure the Sioux will come out tonight with more effort, their ears may still be ringing. Thankfully it's only December, and while this loss hurts it's not a deathblow. Last year the Sioux didn't really ramp up until late, this year feels earily similar. Please beat Harvard tonight, please.

It's sad when you have to depend on Freshmen for "energy." Toews and Oshie are goal-scorers, and they work like they're goal scorers. Energy should come from guys that don't get to play too often, or upper-classmen whose hockey playing days are dwindling. There were plenty of those types in the lineup last night.

This loss hurts a lot when you consider that they're positioned for a 5th place finish in the WCHA and at the mercy of the PWR when it comes time for tournament selection.

Exactly. As much as I would like to say the team was shorthanded, I hate to think that we lost to Harvard because we were short several freshmen. It is probably true that made the difference in a 1-0 game last night. However, it probably SHOULDN'T be the issue at all.

The last three posts are dead-on. Lammy is the Brad Radke of the Sioux. As the very least, this type of hockey is being played now instead of a few weeks. Hopefully a spark will ignite tonight.

I am hoping you are right. They need a spark bad. I think in a post made earlier someone mentioned this was a lot like last years team. Hopefully last night was like that AA game last year when the Sioux blew the lead. Look where that lead us to............Championship game. Let's hope history repeats itself.

Herald

It's really too bad the team is shorthanded this weekend, as I'm sure Hak would like to sit a few butts down for tonite's game. I would bet we'll see Foyt tonite.

The first time I saw Jeff Panzer play live was a weekend in the old REA against a powerhouse CC team. The Sioux got beat the first night, and Blais was not happy. Even though the team was already short due to injuries, he sat several upperclassmen - important players - the next game. I walked in for warm-ups, looked at the players on the ice, and thought: "Thanks, Dean. I didn't drive 300 miles to watch us get swept so you could make a point." Goren won the unwinnable game Saturday with an OT goal.

I say if Hak wants to sit someone, he should do it anyway. I didn't see the game so I don't have an opinion on who should sit.

[Off-topic, I went into the game with a neutral opinion of Panzer. I was down on the glass, and he went around a CC defender along the wall for a loose puck, right in front of me, like the guy was a statue. I couldn't believe what I had just seen, and the CC player couldn't either. A sign of things to come.]

At first, I thought I was reading some posts from last year, around this time of the season. Doom, gloom and criticizing the guys who are on the ice (a total of two seniors, and only one of which is a regular player), blah, blah, blah. Don't get too up, or too down. Sit back and watch the development of some young guys who go out under the microscope every night wearing the proud, Sioux hockey jersey. Sure, they may not always perform up to their expected potential, but let the coaches do their jobs and they'll be peaking at the right time again this season (check back to last years posts around playoff time).

I certainly am not happy that the Sioux lost last night, but I came away with some positives after watching the game on tv. The team did miss some of their fire power, but they had enough chances to win the game by more than just a couple of goals. Harvard's power play came in with about a 20% success rate, and they have beaten some quality opponents this season. Yeah, the Sioux have played better, and been a whole lot sharper around the net, but they didn't quit. They dominated the last 10 minutes of the game, but were "snake bitten" around the Harvard net. Discount the shots on goal total, just think back about which team had the better of the offensive chances throughout the game. I'd have to give the nod to the Sioux.

I expect that the Sioux will win tonight's game by at least 3 goals. Their overall play, especially with many players playing with new linemates, different power play units, etc. was not bad. They just didn't get the goals they needed. After watching parts of the Gophers-Union debacle on ice, I guess you'd have to wonder which team benefitted from their respective games last night. Even though the Sioux lost their game, I have to believe very little of a positive nature was gained by thumping Union (except for some players padding their stats).

If I had to name some players that I felt played pretty well last night, I would list Duncan, Stafford (just finish off a couple of those great efforts and we win), Spirko, Lammy, and the "Grinder Line" of Prpich, Fabian,and Kaip. We do need a better effort from Zajac, Porter, and Smaby, and that's what I'm expecting tonight.

Well...I'm glad that I'm not the only one to leave last night's game with a bad taste in my mouth (and it wasn't the 5 beers I had to deaden my pain).

They have lost the last 6 home games I've attended so tonight the Sioux get a W as I can't bear to watch.

This type of loss really hurts come playoff time so I hope no one will suggest they got robbed if they don't make it. They brought it on themselves with efforts like last night.

Well...I'm glad that I'm not the only one to leave last night's game with a bad taste in my mouth (and it wasn't the 5 beers I had to deaden my pain).

They have lost the last 6 home games I've attended so tonight the Sioux get a W as I can't bear to watch.

This type of loss really hurts come playoff time so I hope no one will suggest they got robbed if they don't make it. They brought it on themselves with efforts like last night.

Yeah I agree last night sucked and like I said UND should not be losing to any EZAC teams. I think that Dave needs to hold some people accountable. Saying we didn't have our four best players is not expectable;

I am sick and tired of watching UND losing at home and the media and others making excuses for them.

Heck by even putting that stupid excuse out about how UND's top four are gone to the WJC, gives them an out, it gave the players an excuse to use if they didn't win. Ding, ding, ding. They didn't win. I guarantee that Harvard doesn't have a line as talented line as Stafford, Spirko, Zajac. Nor one as talented as Duncan, Porter, Kozec.

So message to the Sioux hockey team lets stop screwing around and play like you deserve to wear the UND uniform, its painful watching your lack luster play on the ice and it sucks watching us get beat by rivals as you play with little or any heart. Some of the leaders on the team need to step up and tell these underachieving teammates about Sioux Pride and what it is like to play with heart. Someone needs to tell they guys that playing with pride requires effort and dedication, every time you step on the ice play like its your last game. I bet it burns Cary Eades gut to watch the guys play like that. You guys suck. Where the heck do they get all of these pre-Madonna's with no heart and drive. Your not even worth playing the money for admission nor the gas to drive across town to watch play. I hate Mediocre hockey teams.

This loss could cause UND to miss their own regional.

Edited by Goon

UND sucked. Outside of Lammy and Stafford, everyone played like crap. The sad thing is that Harvard played pretty pathetic as well, if the Sioux would have bothered to look alive, they would have easily won the game. What a worthless game.

Right what a waste to a great goaltending effort.

Yeah I agree last night sucked and like I said UND should not be losing to any EZAC teams. I think that Dave needs to hold some people accountable. Saying we didn't have our four best players is not exceptable;

I am sick and tired of watching UND losing at home and the media and others making excuses for them.

Heck by even putting that stupid excuse out about how UND's top four are gone to the WJC, gives them an out, it gave the players an excuse to use if they didn't win. Ding, ding, ding. They didn't win. I guarentee that Harvard doesn't have a line as talented line as Stafford, Spirko, Zajac. Nor one as talented as Duncan, Porter, Kozec.

So message to the Sioux hockey team lets stop screwing around and play like you deserve to wear the UND uniform, its painful watching your lack luster play on the ice and it sucks watching us get beat by rivals as you play with little or any heart. Some of the leaders on the team need to step up and tell these underachieving teammates about Sioux Pride and what it is like to play with heart. Somone needs to tell they guys that playing with pride requires effort and dedication, everytime you step on the ice play like its your last game. You guys suck. Where the heck do they get all of these pre-madonnas with no heart and drive.

This loss could cause UND to miss their own regional.

Good post.

I gave up a while ago on seeing them in their own regional.

That's not pessimism, that's reality.

Can't wait for the "they will come together in February" replies.

In case any of the players are reading. Take this: message to the Sioux hockey team lets stop screwing around and play like you deserve to wear the UND uniform, its painful watching your lack luster play on the ice and it sucks watching us get beat by rivals as you play with little or any heart. Some of the leaders on the team need to step up and tell these underachieving teammates about Sioux Pride and what it is like to play with heart. Someone needs to tell they guys that playing with pride requires effort and dedication, every time you step on the ice play like its your last game. I bet it burns Cary Eades gut to watch the guys play like that. You guys suck. Where the heck do they get all of these pre-Madonna's with no heart and drive. Your not even worth playing the money for admission nor the gas to drive across town to watch play. I hate Mediocre hockey teams.

(psssst.....it's "prima donna")

Old Barn Guy, I appreciate your optimism. And while there's some truth to what you say, I'm going with the coach who apparently was very upset with the overall effort of some players.

jk, I'm not sure who he'd put on the ice, unless you mean to have him sit a few guys and go with a short bench. I guess that wouldn't be such a bad idea when I think about it. They've got an extra day to rest up for AA...

I'm casting my lot with Old Barn Guy and against the board's "compassionate" conservatives. C'mon, guys! No one likes to lose; losing sucks. But what sucks worse is beating up on a team that's already, I don't doubt, beating up on themselves. Tonight, we'll see the team come out flying, passes connecting and biscuits in the basket. Sioux by 3 is a good call. I may be wrong but I'll still be there. This is my team. I hurt when they lose; I exult when they win. Tonight, I plan to be doin' some exulting.

This is all so reminiscent of last year it's not even funny. I'll admit I don't tolerate stupid excuses for poor performances, but Hack made no excuse for last night. Those are usually made up in the media. I don't know what the answer is. Other than maybe some type of other mtivational techniques. I guess what I'm wondering myself is why #'s 11, 18, and 15 aren't skating together. I'm no coach so maybe I don't understand the reasons for splitting them up. It just seems to me that line works. Also, I have to question power play units and how they derived those particular ones they used last night. I think we still have the talent to field 3 good lines even with the absence of our World Junior players. Am I ready to give up, hell no. Like one of my favorite actors Clint Eastwood said, when times get tough and things look bad, and I mean real bad, you gotta get mean. I mean mad dog mean. Or something like that. But you get the drift, it's time to pull out all the stops and play like there is no tomorrow. Or they can enjoy the west regional from the stands with the rest of us.

This is all so reminiscent of last year it's not even funny. I guess what I'm wondering myself is why #'s 11, 18, and 15 aren't skating together.

Agreed on both of these statements.

Posters already saying that the Sioux will miss their own regional -- that's a joke. It's Dec!! A lot can happen in the next 3 months. The team can come together. They could lose all of their remaining games. Teams in front of them in the PWR could win/lose. While I agree that these losses with the team playing uninspired are certainly not helping their cause to make the tourney, it is still way too early to be saying that there is no way that they won't.

I think that putting Stafford/Zajac/Spirko together on the top line is a good idea for tonight's game. Harvard certainly does not have a line with enough skill/talent to hang with those three.

Do you guys remeber that post from last year. I can't for the life of me rember who it was, but it was a great post about invoking the spirits of former players, it talked about the ghosts of players past being cofused as everything in the new REA is 180 degrees off. If any one can find it or if any of the regulars here might have posted it, maybe it's time to bring it back. I apologize for not remebering who authored that, any way its was a great post. Maybe we need some new karma, again.