SiouxSports.com Forum

Looking ahead to Harvard...

PCM

Look out, Mike Prpich, Harvard's bringing North Dakota shot blocker Tyler Magura to town. ;) Here's an article from the Harvard Crimson about the former Fargo South player.

Center Shines, Spotlight or Not

Harvard, on the other hand, has turned out to be perfectly appropriate for Magura.

He had taken a good look at the University of North Dakota, runner-up in last year

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I really meant to say that wasn't said. was, Another "whew" Big deal, I hope this isn't another ND kid with a chip on his shoulder because UND didn't recruit him, of course his name slips my memory. I would Probably assume that he is not good enough to play for the Sioux went out East, from the lack of interest that he recieved or could be a late bloomer that got better with age... I hope someone greats him with a (oops) Stiff Welcoming legal check. I can't believe for the life of me I wrote cheap, being I was doing 6 things as I typed this message, it must have been a suedo freudian slip.

Big deal another ND kid with a chip on his shoulder.

Probably not good enough to play for the Sioux. I hope someone greats him with a cheap check.

Tyler Magura is a great kid from a very good family. I suspect that his comments were taken out of context. I doubt that he was recruited by the Sioux, and was talking about whether to walk on at UND or go to Harvard. He's a very bright young man and I believe that his mother is a physician. As a result, since academics are his first priority, Harvard should have been a no-brainer for him. The bonus is that he is able to play for a good D1 program, and he probably would have been a longshot to play for the Sioux as a walk on. I think it is great that a local kid is able to play D1 hockey. I certainly do not condone a "cheap check" even against the most hated rival players, and most certainly not against Tyler Magura.

No offense to UND's academics, as I did earn a degree there, but as a parent I think it's fantastic that a kid like this could go play at Harvard. What a great way to leverage hockey talent into a terrific life experience.

I've always thought another non-traditional way to experience college hockey would be to go play someplace like Alabama-Huntsville. You still get to play hockey, but you also get warm weather and Southern belles. The old US International U. in San Diego would have been a similarly good setup.

Tyler Magura is a great kid from a very good family. I suspect that his comments were taken out of context. I doubt that he was recruited by the Sioux, and was talking about whether to walk on at UND or go to Harvard. He's a very bright young man and I believe that his mother is a physician. As a result, since academics are his first priority, Harvard should have been a no-brainer for him. The bonus is that he is able to play for a good D1 program, and he probably would have been a longshot to play for the Sioux as a walk on. I think it is great that a local kid is able to play D1 hockey. I certainly do not condone a "cheap check" even against the most hated rival players, and most certainly not against Tyler Magura.

He is a great kid and his mom is an MD in Fargo, as is his uncle whom I coached with and have a lot of respect for. They are from Winnipeg originally, and I am pretty sure he does not have a chip on his shoulder. Playing for and attending Harvard was probably not his second choice ;)

No offense to UND's academics, as I did earn a degree there, but as a parent I think it's fantastic that a kid like this could go play at Harvard. What a great way to leverage hockey talent into a terrific life experience.

I've always thought another non-traditional way to experience college hockey would be to go play someplace like Alabama-Huntsville. You still get to play hockey, but you also get warm weather and Southern belles. The old US International U. in San Diego would have been a similarly good setup.

I'm ALL for southern belles.

He is a great kid and his mom is an MD in Fargo, as is his uncle whom I coached with and have a lot of respect for. They are from Winnipeg originally, and I am pretty sure he does not have a chip on his shoulder. Playing for and attending Harvard was probably not his second choice ;)

Jloos, how's your cousin doing. I heard his wrist is really bothering him. Hopefully he can go back and get some college looks.

Harvard. Isn't that where Oliver Calaveri played in the early 70's while he was courting that hag from south of town? Best movie ever, maybe.

Harvard. They also took the Gophers out of the old St. Paul Civic Center in a NC not too many years ago.

They will potentially give the Sioux a mild to reasonably solid run early, then they will realize that they are on the campus of a North Dakota institution of higher learning. Sioux sweep for what may then be their ninth win in a row.

It's no Subway Classic, but it'll be a damned good and entertaining series.

Yea that's great. He'll have a good education and be a flaming liberal. I'm surprised the institution is letting Harvard play the Sioux. What no articles yet from the Harvard student newspaper on how offensive our name and logo is?

Yea that's great. He'll have a good education and be a flaming liberal.

:D;)

I quite sure he will be very successful. Liberal / Conservative has little to do with the Sioux name, people with common sense on both sides of the isle see this as a dumb argument.

I quite sure he will be very successful. Liberal / Conservative has little to do with the Sioux name, people with common sense on both sides of the isle see this as a dumb argument.

You are correct. It has little to do with the individual. But when the institution itself has issues with UND, like SCSU, then that my friend is a problem. Granted, I have not heard or seen Harvard issuing any statements on our logo and nickname fight but I bet we will before we play them. On a side note didn't St. Lawrence have a problem with us playing them out there a couple of years ago because of our logo and nickname?

Just wanted to add my two cents on Tyler. My wife taught him as a So. and he was one of her favorite students over her 6 years of teaching at south. His parents are also great. Tyler was not recruited by UND, he was a roll player in the USHL and was not the type of player UND recruits. Harvard is a great fit for him. I wish him the best of luck, maybe he'll score a point or two while getting swept by the Sioux. ;)

Just wanted to add my two cents on Tyler. My wife taught him as a So. and he was one of her favorite students over her 6 years of teaching at south. His parents are also great. Tyler was not recruited by UND, he was a roll player in the USHL and was not the type of player UND recruits. Harvard is a great fit for him. I wish him the best of luck, maybe he'll score a point or two while getting swept by the Sioux. ;)

Or block a shot. :D

Not necessarily true? College professors against the name for the most part are White Liberal/communist/leftists. The only case I see against a moniker by right wingers were religious right wingers in Devils Lake.

Jloos, how's your cousin doing. I heard his wrist is really bothering him. Hopefully he can go back and get some college looks.

He had to stop playing for Bozeman, he has a temporary metal plate holding his wrist together. He will not be able to play the rest of the season. It sounds like the Dr. did not perform the surgery the way he thought. Any of the other lawyers on this site do med/mal? If only he was drafted in the NHL, future earnings alone would make it a nice lawsuit ;)

Uh Oh, Goon's been taken to court! Which statement was it? :D;)

I did do jury duty on time in Grand Forks and it was the the was the most boring week that I have ever been through in my life. I had a heck of a time staying awake. I guess you could say that I was ordered to court. ;)

Harvard. They also took the Gophers out of the old St. Paul Civic Center in a NC not too many years ago.

Aaaahhh...one of my favorite memories of McVey Hall in the spring of 1989. About one hundred residents of the dorm watching the Harvard/Minnesota game on the big-screen in the dorm lounge, most of them kids from Bloomington and Edina. Harvard scores in OT to win the game and while 98 others are crying, I jump up screaming and hug my buddy (also an ardent Gopher hater). One of the UND football player (from Burnsville - major Gopher hockey fan) tosses a gigantic slushie at the TV and the head resident promptly invites him into his office for a discussion. Good times...

Edited by MafiaMan

Yeah, this could be a tough series. We also have the weight of our 20 year winning streak against ECAC teams. Last loss was in 84-85 to the RPI national champ team with Adam Oates that went something like 34-2-1. I think the total streak is at about 50 games and includes virtually every team in the conference. I'm sure Canuck knows.