SiouxSports.com Forum

Looking ahead to Harvard...

PCM

Last night was some BORING hockey. Did Harvard ever even try to break out of their zone? All I remember is them constantly icing the puck. Damn defensive hockey. They played the man and didn't let anyone loose. I can't think of a WCHA team that plays as tight defensively as Harvard. But I guess their style worked.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys remeber that post from last year. I can't for the life of me rember who it was, but it was a great post about invoking the spirits of former players, it talked about the ghosts of players past being cofused as everything in the new REA is 180 degrees off. If any one can find it or if any of the regulars here might have posted it, maybe it's time to bring it back. I apologize for not remebering who authored that, any way its was a great post. Maybe we need some new karma, again.

That is pretty much the truth. Maybe they need to have a speech from Reg Morelli or Jason Blake. They need maybe a speech on what it means to wear the green and white and what it takes to be a winner. If I had been a player yesterday I couldn't have slept last night knowing what just happened on the ice.

The Sioux need to exercise the demons and start winning, they are making it too hard, stop analyzing the opposing team doesn't care that your a first round draft pick, stop over passing the puck and just play hockey. They seem to be looking for the perfect pass, the perfect shot. Stop thinking and play for chirst sakes. Would someone please check someone, would someone please step up and play with some passion. In my opinion player that has stood out although he doesn't get a lot of playing time is Brad Miller, its eveident that this kid has really worked hard.

Also, last night I thought that Alexander look pretty decent on the ice and had good hockey skills. Maybe we will see more of him in the second half of the season.

I said last season that this season would be Hakstol's greatest coaching challenge. I stand by that statment. Under very trying circumstances, Hakstol, Berry and Eades proved themselves by getting the Sioux into the championship game of the Frozen Four after pretty much everyone had written the team off in late February. I don't think the problem is with the coaches.

Hakstol's style has been to be tough on the team in the locker room but not to crticize them publicly. Well, last night, that changed. He purposely criticized the team's lack of effort, and he did so reluctantly. I could tell that he wanted to say a lot more than he did, but he held his tongue and had a tough time doing it.

I believe that as a coach, you don't want to give your team excuses to lose games. That's why Hakstol wouldn't use the absence of Oshie, Toews, Lee and Chorney as an excuse. The way that the entire team played in the first 45 minutes of the game, it's difficult to claim that having those four players on the ice would have made the difference. I've seen enough home games this season to know that when the Sioux have off night, it seems to affect the entire team.

Ted Donato said after the game that the team UND put on the ice last night has players who can blow open a game and that you don't want to give them too many chances to do that. So even he recognizes that without the four Sioux freshman, his team has to play an outstanding defensive game to beat UND.

As others have said, it's way too early to write off this team. I continue to believe that it has the talent to win a national championship. The coaches have proven that they have the ability to get UND there. It's now a matter of how much the players want it.

[.

Posters already saying that the Sioux will miss their own regional -- that's a joke. It's Dec!! A lot can happen in the next 3 months. The team can come together. They could lose all of their remaining games. Teams in front of them in the PWR could win/lose.

I think last night was a big game and the boys failed to show up for. UND needs wins against teams in the TUC, I would imagine that Harvard is a team in the mix right now.

If Hak can get the team to play better in the second half sure they will be in the mix for the final 16. However, they don't have any room for error anymore, every game is a must win. There is only like 17 games left in the season. I am not so sure how many they can let slip away in the second half of the season if they want to play in March and April, its not a big number though. Next weekend they travel to UAA and they must not lay an egg. UAA is less talented than the team they are playing tonight.

Its not like the NHL were you play 82 games and can let a few slip away.

Next weekend they travel to UAA and they must not lay an egg. UAA is less talented than the team they are playing tonight.

I agree that they have to take care of business against UAA. UAA doesn't have a very good team this year, and they need the wins and the WCHA points.

I would be very disappointed if they don't win two games in Anchorage.

Now, with that said, kick some Crimson butt tonight!!

How about this for introductions, just prior to the Harvard line up, the REA sound guy should play the clip from Revenge of the Nerds where the Alpha Beta's start the Nerds chant. He would probably be looking for employment the next day but it would be funny.

i think that would qualify as hostile and abusive :lol:???