SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

19 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

No disrespect to Carter Murphy but I don't feel like a 5'6 prospect is a high-end prospect atm. 

His dad was also short, but stocky. Did you ever see his dad Curtis Murphy play? If his son is anything like Curtis Murphy, he will be outstanding. Curtis Murphy is one of the best defenseman to ever play at UND. He was also a great AHL player, but didn't get much of an opportunity in the old NHL where size was considered a must. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

His dad was also short, but stocky. Did you ever see his dad Curtis Murphy play? If his son is anything like Curtis Murphy, he will be outstanding. Curtis Murphy is one of the best defenseman to ever play at UND. He was also a great AHL player, but didn't get much of an opportunity in the old NHL where size was considered a must. 

Agreed, great post. Had he grown in todays game he would have played in the NHL.

James Hagens
LJ Mooney

Logan Hensler (Wisconsin)
Zachary Morin
Sascha Boumedienne
Sam Laurila
Garrett Lindberg
Cullen Potter

Cole McKinney (UM)
William Moore
Lukas Sawchyn
Charlie Trethewey
Andrew O'Neill (UND)
Caleb Heil
Masun Fleece (PSU)
Drew Schock
Jake Stuart
Jacob Rombach
Cooper Simpson
Carter Murphy

Those bolded six are the most intriguing names left on Schloss' list to me.

After missing out on Hensler, I'm hoping we can land at least two of those three dmen (Laurila, Lindberg, Murphy).  And since two are local and one is the son of a former standout Sioux player, I'm hoping the odds are good that we're in the running for all three.

The forwards are tougher, as all three of Hagens, Mooney, and Potter are heavily recruited from all the big schools.  We've been having a tougher time lately landing the big name forwards...so my mind is preparing for the fact that we won't land any of them...but my heart is hoping that we land at least one.  :)  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

After missing out on Hensler, I'm hoping we can land at least two of those three dmen (Laurila, Lindberg, Murphy).  And since two are local and one is the son of a former standout Sioux player, I'm hoping the odds are good that we're in the running for all three.

The forwards are tougher, as all three of Hagens, Mooney, and Potter are heavily recruited from all the big schools.  We've been having a tougher time lately landing the big name forwards...so my mind is preparing for the fact that we won't land any of them...but my heart is hoping that we land at least one.  :)  

Your mind vs. your heart, brian?   David vs. Goliath?   :D

On 8/16/2023 at 9:16 PM, brianvf said:

I really hope we can get off of the "always the Bridesmade" situation we have been in with recruiting top end talent.  

21 minutes ago, Irish said:

I really hope we can get off of the "always the Bridesmade" situation we have been in with recruiting top end talent.  

It's been a rough stretch lately with forwards especially.
A good number of first round forwards in the last 2-4 years have listed UND as their 2nd or 3rd choice.
Would be nice to turn that around a bit.

James Hagens
LJ Mooney
Logan Hensler
Zachary Morin (BU)
Sascha Boumedienne
Sam Laurila
Garrett Lindberg
Cullen Potter
Cole McKinney (UM)
William Moore
Lukas Sawchyn
Charlie Trethewey
Andrew O'Neill (UND)
Caleb Heil
Masun Fleece (PSU)
Drew Schock
Jake Stuart
Jacob Rombach
Cooper Simpson
Carter Murphy

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

James Hagens
LJ Mooney
Logan Hensler
Zachary Morin (BU)
Sascha Boumedienne
Sam Laurila
Garrett Lindberg
Cullen Potter
Cole McKinney (UM)
William Moore
Lukas Sawchyn
Charlie Trethewey
Andrew O'Neill (UND)
Caleb Heil
Masun Fleece (PSU)
Drew Schock
Jake Stuart
Jacob Rombach
Cooper Simpson
Carter Murphy

I’m assuming this is from the Schloss listing…but I’m starting to wonder if Ryker Lee should be included.

I don't think we were ever in on Morin. I wish we were; he was one of my favorite prospects in this class, but we never seemed to be in the mix. Gophers were in the mix, so glad he's not going there.

If we land Lindberg, Laurila and either Potter or Mooney (in addition to O'Neil and Schultz), this could still be an incredible class, but we need those to fall our way. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SpudsSioux said:

I don't think we were ever in on Morin. I wish we were; he was one of my favorite prospects in this class, but we never seemed to be in the mix. Gophers were in the mix, so glad he's not going there.

If we land Lindberg, Laurila and either Potter or Mooney (in addition to O'Neil and Schultz), this could still be an incredible class, but we need those to fall our way. 

It's certainly feeling like these two are musts now as I don't have a good feeling on Potter or Mooney.