SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I heard Koberinski on the Coaches show say that they are trying to make this one of the biggest Midget tourneys. He said the field will probably keep growing. What a great recruiting opportunity to get some of the best talent out there to see the facilities and take in some Sioux games at the same time. It certainly can't hurt to expose players to UND at a young age. Something that could stick in the back of their minds as they progress as hockey players.

Was Ludwig (as coach) on the Dallas bench at the midget tourney again this year? Watching his kid do a solid defensive job for Providence vs. BU on Friday night made me think of the twins (I think) again. Wonder if the Sioux ever recruited these kids? Started college last year so obviously there was no room on the Sioux D in 04-05.

Derrick LaPoint, Eau Claire North HS, has visited UND. He's ranked #96 by the CSB. McKeen's says: "Passed up an offer to play in the USHL to finish out his high school career, and is being recruited by several colleges. Possesses the size (6-3/180), skating, and puckmoving skills to dominate at this level. Also mean and punishing in his own end. Will likely need a year of junior first." Minnesota, St. Cloud, and others are also in the picture.

Sounds like the prototypical Sioux D-man.

No Serratorre's listed on the T-Birds roster. Had the chance to watch the Shattuck/Winnipeg game with SSM winning 6 - 2. SSM dominated play leading 5-0 after 2 periods. Third period was more competitive, but SSM has a solid team...of no surprise. Many of the SSM players stood out...Blood & Murray more than hold there own, but the entire line-up seems highly skilled. My understanding is this is only the 4th loss for the Winnipeg team with a season record of 23-4-5. Kelly Zajac seemed to be a non-factor, but you can tell he has skills along with many of the other Thrashers players. SSM was the far quicker and skilled team today.

SSM plays Team Illinois tomorrow at 3:30PM in the REA Olympic Rink. Coach Hakstol watched some of the 2nd period play.

Did anyone get the final scores in this tournament? I'm curious. I noticed that Shattuck lost to Team Illinois 5-4 the following day.

It should also be noted that the Shattuck team is signficantly older than the Winnipeg Team. There are 5 players on Shattuck that would not be allowed to play Midget in Canada since they were born in 1987. In addition, even the best 1988's are not playing midget hockey in Canada, they are either playing Major Junior or they are playing in a Junior B circuit such as the Manitoba Junior Hockey League.

Kelly Zajac is a smart little hockey player, but he isn't really even in the top 5 out of the Manitoba 88's. He probably falls within the top 10 Having said that, he is one of only two or three 88's at this level who are still available for the college route. The other player that comes to mind is Justin Guttek who is playing for Shalisbury (sp?) on the East Coast.

If UND were smart they would start looking for some 89's out of Manitoba that might want to consider college and make sure they don't compromise their options.

You know, I've always thought there's got to be some kids out there who, if they believe in the coach, really gravitate to "you have a chance to be a key part of putting this program on the map".

And for them that might be more meaningful than going to the big-time, yearly championship contenders. I have no idea what went in to his decision, but there could be lots of reasons.

I have a nephew that plays on the the Moorehead team with Jordy and he was as suprised as anyone.All he could say was look at the rink you have to play in LMAO :lol: Whats up with taking the first offer my Parise he's only a Jr. whats the hurry look around and wait maybe he can play for a contender not a pretender.

I have a nephew that plays on the the Moorehead team with Jordy and he was as suprised as anyone.All he could say was look at the rink you have to play in LMAO :lol: Whats up with taking the first offer my Parise he's only a Jr. whats the hurry look around and wait maybe he can play for a contender not a pretender.

I wouldnt be too suprised if St. Cloud is a contender before long. Now with Motzko running the ship. They are getting guys like Nodl and Christian.

Apparently he attended Motzko's summer hockey camp and was promised whatever world it is that JBSU has to offer. :lol:

Motzko has a track record as an outstanding recruiter. His players have always spoken very highly of him. Furthermore, everyone wants to be wanted.

I don't know why Jordy Christian decided to make a commitment to St. Cloud this early--but I bet no one would be questioning it if he had committed to the Sioux! Yet, we fans don't know if he ever would have received a concrete offer from UND. Why should we be critical of a young man who has just accepted a scholarship offer to play hockey in the best D-I conference in the country!

Bottom line is congratulations to Jordy Christian and the Huskies. The Sioux will find some players and we'll be just fine.

No doubt but with his Dad and Uncle being alums we should have had the inside track

I think the Sioux did have the inside track, but Motzko took it away when the Sioux decided to wait before making an offer. I like Jordy very much as a player and I believe he has progressed greatly as a player over the past year and he is still a little guy who has not proven himself against elite competition (USHL, international, etc.), I don't think that Hakstol made a mistake by choosing to wait when he has only a few openings, there are other fine players on the board.

"...choosing to wait..." Huh? :lol: Technically, coaches can't even SPEAK directly to the kid until the day after graduation his junior year. Besides, he's a junior and NO ONE ELSE had made ANY sort of offer, only St. Cloud. Did I mention he's still only a junior?

This certainly is a relevant topic to Sioux fans when you consider his lineage. I wonder if the Sioux coaches took too much consideration in that fact as well... I don't think the fact that he is choosing to attend St. Cloud is the issue. It sounds to me from this thread that the issue Sioux fans have is that he chose St. Cloud State without hearing any other offers. I'm sure there are many recruiting geeks out there that may have even had JC pencilled in as a Sioux recruit for 2007-08.

I'm sure there are many recruiting geeks out there that may have even had JC pencilled in as a Sioux recruit for 2007-08.

Geek here. I had him as an 07 or 08, depending on how he progressed and whether he needed an extra USHL year. The lineage was just too compelling to assume anything else.

From a program standpoint, I really don't know how he stacks up against other options, so I don't know if it's a big miss.

From his standpoint, if that's where he wants to go, then good luck. It's his life, not ours.

From a recruiting geek's standpoint, it's a bummer and I need to adjust my spreadsheet.

Sioux are competing with Michigan for Ben Winnett of Salmon Arm for 07

Yikes. This kid could be good. He's only 16, but 7th on SA's roster in scoring.

Ben Winnett [Rookie] '89 F 46games 14-20-34 6' 170# Right shooting forward.

Near as I could tell he's the leading '89 in the BCHL with 34 points. The next closest has 29.

Near as I could tell he's the leading '89 in the BCHL with 34 points. The next closest has 29.

It says that Kyle Turris is 16 years old. He is going to Wisconsin and has 54 points. He could end up being quite the player for Bucky.

Winnett will probably be one of the top recruits for '07. If the Sioux are in the hunt for him, Aaron Marvin, etc., that explains why they may not have made an early offer to a kid like Jordy Christian.

It says that Kyle Turris is 16 years old. He is going to Wisconsin and has 54 points. He could end up being quite the player for Bucky.

Or he could skip it altogether. A LOT can happen between 16 and 18 years of age.

Kermit- Maybe. If they steer away from CHristian they must really be trying for Marvin and Winnett. I'm not sure we'll win out on Winnett though.

---------------------

On a seperate note, am I the only one who thinks that the upcoming two years are seeing an upward trend in the quality of forwards and the decrease in quality defensive and goaltending recruits? It seems like the forwards are all that are mentioned and that there are MANY to choose from, yet nary a half dozen defensemen and goaltenders get the buzz going...

On a seperate note, am I the only one who thinks that the upcoming two years are seeing an upward trend in the quality of forwards and the decrease in quality defensive and goaltending recruits? It seems like the forwards are all that are mentioned and that there are MANY to choose from, yet nary a half dozen defensemen and goaltenders get the buzz going...

IMO it's a stats thing. It's easy to pick out the top forward prospects because they score a ton. Matt Greene, Matt Jones, Zach Jones -- they all scored next-to-nothing in the year that preceded their matriculation at UND, yet they were top defensive recruits. On something like defensemen, you really have to trust the Sioux coaches; they've put together a pretty nice track record of identifying and developing defensemen.

Does anybody have anything new on the Lamoureux situation? Is he waiting until after the season to see what kind of offer he gets from the major junior team? I think it would help if Hak and the boys knew if he was going to be on board in 2007 or not. Also, it sounds like Lapointe is a good player and after a year in the USHL he should be a good one. From what I hear Berry stays in touch with him and talks with him quite a bit so I am hoping he is the next D to commit. He sounds like a very similar player to Marto and the year in the USHL should help put a little meat on his bones.