SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

IMO it's a stats thing. It's easy to pick out the top forward prospects because they score a ton. Matt Greene, Matt Jones, Zach Jones -- they all scored next-to-nothing in the year that preceded their matriculation at UND, yet they were top defensive recruits. On something like defensemen, you really have to trust the Sioux coaches; they've put together a pretty nice track record of identifying and developing defensemen.

Yeah. I guess it's just frustratingly difficult for me to find what makes a good defensemen and goaltender recruits because I'm not a coach or a recruiter for that matter.

IMO it's a stats thing. It's easy to pick out the top forward prospects because they score a ton. Matt Greene, Matt Jones, Zach Jones -- they all scored next-to-nothing in the year that preceded their matriculation at UND, yet they were top defensive recruits. On something like defensemen, you really have to trust the Sioux coaches; they've put together a pretty nice track record of identifying and developing defensemen.

Yes, but don't stop him from looking things up on his own.

Kermit- Maybe. If they steer away from CHristian they must really be trying for Marvin and Winnett. I'm not sure we'll win out on Winnett though.

I don't think the Sioux steered away from him at all. Jordy is a player they wanted. I think he just wanted to get the decision over with and didn't want to wait. It's too bad, I would have really liked to see him with the Sioux. He's probably a lot like a Jeff Panzer type of player, but Jeff played two years of USHL hockey before he felt he was ready to play for the Sioux.

Maybe Jordy's high school coach had some influence on the decision. :lol:

http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../101240030/1002

Jordy doesn't like his High School coach and he tried hard to leave Moorhead this year because he doesn't like Mornville. I doubt Jordy will be in Moorhead next year.

I have to doubt that Morinville had anything to do with Jordy's decision like or hate him. After all, two of last year's big Moorhead "stars" committed to UND. He may not be a big time supporter of Sioux hockey (like JP Parise and, to a certain extent Tom Ward) but I doubt he said "Go to SCSU young man!"

I don't think the Sioux steered away from him at all. Jordy is a player they wanted. I think he just wanted to get the decision over with and didn't want to wait. It's too bad, I would have really liked to see him with the Sioux. He's probably a lot like a Jeff Panzer type of player, but Jeff played two years of USHL hockey before he felt he was ready to play for the Sioux.

Maybe Jordy's high school coach had some influence on the decision. :lol:

http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../101240030/1002

No love for his father, a four year Sioux player, in the article. The Sioux did not even have time to shy away from him - he is only a junior in HS. Morinville has ties to SCSU and Motzko coached him on some elite teams/summer camps. Jordy made a very early decision, hopefully it was the right one for him. Matt Cullen sure liked SCSU and things turned out pretty well for him.

I know Dave was not happy with Morinville, since his kid did not see much varsity time, but I have never heard Jordy or Ed being unhappy with him.

Thanks, I was just wondering how long people thought it would be since he came for a visit a week or so ago. Wasn't Cornell the only other school that was known to be on his list and then they got a commitment from Scrivens so I thought that that might take them out of the running.

Thanks, I was just wondering how long people thought it would be since he came for a visit a week or so ago. Wasn't Cornell the only other school that was known to be on his list and then they got a commitment from Scrivens so I thought that that might take them out of the running.

That was the only school we know of. There may be others he is interested in he hasn't disclosed yet.

For what it's worth, Thiessen was on a fly-down to Cornell this past Friday. I guess we're recruiting one of them as an '07 or as insurance against McKee leaving after his junior year. I have no idea where he's headed, but I was pretty sure it was between ND and Cornell, so we ought to hear relatively soon.

- Phil

The Warroad goaltender (Potts) is doing a great job right now.

Marvin is all over the place and, thus far, has 2 assists (helped on both goals they've scored). FSN guys are raving about him.

EDIT: Make that 3 assists. As well as a short handed breakaway attempt and a drawn penalty. He's really doing everything.

We need to get this guy.

EDIT2: Marvin gets an empty netter after picking the Roseau player's pocket. 1G 3A for the night.

The Warroad goaltender (Potts) is doing a great job right now.

Marvin is all over the place and, thus far, has 2 assists (helped on both goals they've scored). FSN guys are raving about him.

EDIT: Make that 3 assists. As well as a short handed breakaway attempt and a drawn penalty. He's really doing everything.

We need to get this guy.

EDIT2: Marvin gets an empty netter after picking the Roseau player's pocket. 1G 3A for the night.

Marvin was a stud tonight, this was my first time seeing him play. Like redwing said he was all over the ice, you couldn't help but notice him.

Looking in the paper today I noticed that Forney got his hands in a lot of goals versus Red Lake Falls. Yes, Red Lake Falls is terrible but Forney had 4 goals in the first period and 8 points over the whole night I believe. Not bad. 8 points is still 8 points.