SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Some points I'll rehash from earlier in the thread:

Forwards prospects: Mario Lamoureaux already has an offer on the table, IIRC, from UND for 2007. I do believe that UND is recruiting Aaron Marvin pretty hard, though I have no proof. I would also add Tessier to the list of those we have a decent shot at landing. David Toews and Tessier are best friends. Kind of like the Ryan Potulny-Danny Irman thing IMO.

Defense: Matson expressed interest in UND but I doubt we'll land him. He's all but committed to UMN, IMO. LaPoint, I believe, very much is leaning towards North Dakota, IMO. His brother works at UND. He's made visits too, IIRC. Does this mean it's a sure thing? No. Lebler of the BCHL (forgot his first name) was supposedly all but committed to UW but changed his mind and committed to Michigan, so who knows for sure.

Goaltender: I don't think Thiessen is as good of a shot as we're letting on. Blogs have stated, as well as various sources, that Thiessen wants to enter college next year. He's a 1986 birthday so entering in 2007 would put him as an older 20 year old if not 21 years old as a freshman. No offense to Brad as he is a quality tender, I think UND should look towards at least a 1987 birthdate if not a 1988 birthdate for a goaltender.

[snip]Goaltender: I don't think Thiessen is as good of a shot as we're letting on. Blogs have stated, as well as various sources, that Thiessen wants to enter college next year. He's a 1986 birthday so entering in 2007 would put him as an older 20 year old if not 21 years old as a freshman. No offense to Brad as he is a quality tender, I think UND should look towards at least a 1987 birthdate if not a 1988 birthdate for a goaltender.

What does birth year have to do with ability?

What does birth year have to do with ability?

I don't know. Minnesota had a problem with birth year a few years back. Just ask Happy about DU and UND way back when and their "30 year old Canadians"

Seriously, I don't know. I just know that Thiessen is trying to get a scholarship offer for next season.

Here's a summary of some of the names that have been brought up here or have some geographic or family connection to the program. UND probably doesn't have much interest in some of the kids, and the reverse is also probably true. Nothing new here; just a summary.

Forwards:

Drew Fisher, 2-6-87, USHL

Jordan Willert, 11-6-87, USHL

Aaron Marvin, 5-27-88, Warroad HS

Mario Lamoureaux, 6-18-88, USHL

Taylor Matson, 9-16-88, AHA HS

Kelly Zajac, -88, Winnipeg Midgets

Jason Gregoire, 2-24-89, MJHL

Ben Winnett, 4-3-89, BCHL

Lucas Bloodoff, 5-5-89, BCHL

Colin Wilson, 10-20-89, USNDP

Jordy Murray, 1-8-90, SSM

Kelsey Tessier, 1-16-90, Colorado Midgets

David Toews, 6-7-90, Colorado Midgets

Defense:

Kyle Hardwick, 10-24-86, USHL

Derrick Lapoint, 5-13-88, WI HS

Ben Blood, 3-15-89, SSM

Erick Galt, ND HS

Goal:

Brad Theissen, 3-19-86, BCHL

Alex Kangas, 5-28-87, USHL

Beau Christian, Illinois Midgets

Why not add Paul Weisgarber to the list. He's in the mold of the small speedy forwards the sioux love. With a year or two in the USHL he may become an option.

I know Paul's a 4.0 student so he may be leaning Ivy League, but I don't have any idea.

In my opinion, here are the guys the Sioux have the best chance at from the list above:

Mario Lamoreaux will probably end up with the Sioux. He's keeping his options open right now, but Brent Sutter gave him a pretty solid pitch this fall to come to the WHL and he didn't go. That could change this summer if he decides he doesn't want to play in the USHL again next year, but otherwise, I'm pretty confident he'll up with the Sioux.

I like their chances with Aaron Marvin, Derrick Lapoint, and Ben Winnett too. If I had to guess, I'd say all three of those guys will end up with the Sioux. They're probably at least interested in the other guys as well. One name that isn't on that list that probably should be is Colton Grant from Alberta. He'll be very highly recruited by a lot of WCHA teams.

You can probably cross Alex Kangas off the list. He doesn't want to wait until 2007, and if for whatever reason, he did wait, he'd likely end up with the Gophers.

I should add that they probably have good chances at some of the 2008 guys, but it's way too early to tell how good those chances are.

In my opinion, here are the guys the Sioux have the best chance at from the list above:

Mario Lamoreaux will probably end up with the Sioux. He's keeping his options open right now, but Brent Sutter gave him a pretty solid pitch this fall to come to the WHL and he didn't go. That could change this summer if he decides he doesn't want to play in the USHL again next year, but otherwise, I'm pretty confident he'll up with the Sioux.

I like their chances with Aaron Marvin, Derrick Lapoint, and Ben Winnett too. If I had to guess, I'd say all three of those guys will end up with the Sioux. They're probably at least interested in the other guys as well. One name that isn't on that list that probably should be is Colton Grant from Alberta. He'll be very highly recruited by a lot of WCHA teams.

You can probably cross Alex Kangas off the list. He doesn't want to wait until 2007, and if for whatever reason, he did wait, he'd likely end up with the Gophers.

I should add that they probably have good chances at some of the 2008 guys, but it's way too early to tell how good those chances are.

Have your sources heard anything about Thiessen or some of the other goaltenders out there?

Vegas,

Who is Jason and Colin Wilson? I see that one of them plays for the USNDT where does the other play and are they from Winnipeg or Connecticut? How old are they, what type of players are they and when are they college eligible? I know you have discussed this before, but when and where have you seen them? Thanks

Colin Wilson is from Canada and scored a ton of points as a bantam, but has dual-citizenship and was given an offer to play for the NTDP a year early. He would be a 2008 recruit unless he decided to accelerate his schooling.

He seems like a very good offensive talent and performed very well at the U17 championships. He'll be one of the top recruits for that class.

Why not add Paul Weisgarber to the list. He's in the mold of the small speedy forwards the sioux love. With a year or two in the USHL he may become an option.

I know Paul's a 4.0 student so he may be leaning Ivy League, but I don't have any idea.

Why don't the Sioux try and take a shot at landing Marc Mihulka from Grand Forks Red River. A very skilled player, Marc uses his strength and speed to dominated other teams by himself. (3 hat tricks in 3 EDC games last weekend). He is also a player that would not leave college early to go on to play at a higher level. He would stay with the Sioux for 4 years and would be a great third line player who throws his body around. I think it would be smart and nice for a Grand Forks kid to have his name on the back of the green and white. (His dad did play for the Sioux during the late 1970's).

Thanks,

R U Chris Heisenber?:D?;)??

My magic eight ball says "Most likely, yes."

As for current high school players, I'd love to see Galt, Mihulka, and Weisgarber make an impact and end up somewhere in DI. Maybe the Sioux, maybe somewhere else. Those guys are something special.

My magic eight ball says "Most likely, yes."

As for current high school players, I'd love to see Galt, Mihulka, and Weisgarber make an impact and end up somewhere in DI. Maybe the Sioux, maybe somewhere else. Those guys are something special.

Better throw that one away, looks to have lost its magic touch. :D

I'd love to see another local player on the Sioux as well; Mihulka would probably be a good player for the Sioux after a year in the USHL.

Better throw that one away, looks to have lost its magic touch. :D

I'd love to see another local player on the Sioux as well; Mihulka would probably be a good player for the Sioux after a year in the USHL.

Yeah, but I'm stubborn. ;)

Oh well. I think Chris Heisenberg goes by "Chris" on all the popular blogs... so oh well.

Here's a link to some info on 2007 recruits and commitments to teams. The Dateline was from June 2005 and most of this has probably been discussed but still fun to read.

http://westerncollegehockey.blogspot.com/2...recruiting.html

Here's his take:

Derrick Lapoint-Eau Claire North HS(WI HS)-Big defenseman that is attracting a lot of attention. Being recruited by North Dakota, St. Cloud, Minnnesota, Mankato, Duluth. Will likely spend a year in the USHL before going to college. Brother is an equipment manager for North Dakota.WCHA Article.

On Trupp:

Evan Trupp-Penticton(BCHL)-Committed to North Dakota-Small, talented playmaking forward from Anchorage, Alaska.

On Lammy:

Mario Lamoreaux-Tri-Cities(USHL)-Has a scholarship offer to North Dakota for the 2007 season if he wants it. He will have to choose between North Dakota and Red Deer of the WHL.

On Matson:

Taylor Matson-Academy of Holy Angels(MN HS)- A great stickhandler that is very dangerious in one-on-one situations. Could improve his finishing skills a bit. A bit underrated, but a very good hockey player. Very likely that he will choose to play for Minnesota. Also visited St. Cloud, Colorado College, and North Dakota.

On Toews (2008):

David Toews-Colorado Outlaws AAA- Similar style of play to his brother Jonathan, who plays for North Dakota, but more of a power forward down low. Possibility that he could play in the WHL rather than college.

On Tessier (2008):

Kelsey Tessier-Colorado Outlaws AAA-Best friend of David Toews. Ranked as 10th best player for QMJHL draft by ISS. Excellent vision and a great skater.

On Murray:

Jordy Murray-Shattuck-St. Mary's-Son of Andy Murray, and brother of former North Dakota star Brady Murray. A decent player, but not in the same talent category as his older brother.

Here's a link to some info on 2007 recruits and commitments to teams. The Dateline was from June 2005 and most of this has probably been discussed but still fun to read.

Don't pay attention to the dateline on that. That was just the date it was first posted. It gets updated pretty frequently. In fact, I updated some stuff on it today.

dave is right. I post as Maize on the 'cho. The fact that I get confused for Chris Heisenberg is pretty flattering though. I got a lot of visits from this site when someone linked to me earlier in this thread, so I figured I'd join up.

Don't pay attention to the dateline on that. That was just the date it was first posted. It gets updated pretty frequently. In fact, I updated some stuff on it today.

dave is right. I post as Maize on the 'cho. The fact that I get confused for Chris Heisenberg is pretty flattering though. I got a lot of visits from this site when someone linked to me earlier in this thread, so I figured I'd join up.

Cool, nice site by the way..

Welcome.